Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 03:20 PM

That rack is neat, but it seems to me the person who would be apt to use this bike as intended would probably choose a modern Pika/Viscaha type setup making the rack pointless.

Nice that it does look to come off very cleanly, though.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
with a whisky road plus fork, room for 32mm tires or 28mm with fenders. The fork has fender mounts.
I have this very fork and I have a little less than 8 mm between my tire and the calipers of my Shimano BR650 brakes. My high hopes of PDW Full Metal Fenders had to be discarded. They just don't fit - even close. It isn't the fork that gets in the way, it is the brakes! So this is very brake dependent...
Old 10-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
I super hate everything about fenders... Ass saver pop ons are enough for anything I care about riding in. Staying dry for any length of time in the rain while exercising is a myth. In nice rain gear I just make my own little bio climate and it turns into the amazon inside my jacket anyway.
I get that but this is adverted as a light tourer, all day, at least have the option, imho. If I could put permanent fenders on my moots I would. A ride with wet roads, like this morning in the republic, fenders would be nice.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
I have this very fork and I have a little less than 8 mm between my tire and the calipers of my Shimano BR650 brakes. My high hopes of PDW Full Metal Fenders had to be discarded. They just don't fit - even close. It isn't the fork that gets in the way, it is the brakes! So this is very brake dependent...
thats interesting. I was thinking bout putting PDWs on mine with 28mm tires. Even with 32mm tires there is quite a bit of space that I think 28 would easily work with fenders. Need to investigate
Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 PM
Vendor

Personally, I like fenders. And if you're on a big bike, not really an issue on toe overlap. If the build is solid and so are the fenders, they shouldn't make noise.

I love these. While functional, I personally wouldn't use a $200 fender for everyday use. But they are cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0253.jpg (115.6 KB, 164 views)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 AM

not to hijack, but fork question...

So, got hit by a car (am banged up but ok!). Think I will be replacing my seven mid reach fork. Anyone have more input on this whisky road plus?
I am light (135ish). I hear these are overbuilt. But honestly, my seven felt harsher than some of the other carbon forks ive had on big hit absorption. Not sure if the whisky would be better or worse. it's lighter, but I hear its also built with a VERY high weight limit.

Zank said on velocipede that the disc fork feels like his enve canti (which I have and like).

Any input?
I realize the A-C is different, but don't mind using the Tall chris king baseplate, which makes the 375 => 383 difference about a wash as far as I'm concerned.

Also curious about fender + tire clearance. I too fantasize about the PDW full metal city fenders, but the brake shoes typically look towards the middle of the slots on the whisky...
Old 10-22-2017, 05:42 PM

I really like Tomii bikes and fillet brazed frames in general. I don't care for fenders...mostly because I don't ride in the rain much. Not a fan of the rear rack, if you want to carry stuff, use handlebar bag.

Rear bag cons:
throws the handling off when stuff is high.
can't see if the bag is secured or not and stuff can fall out without you knowing
can't get to your stuff while riding

Handlebar bag pros:
you can get to your stuff while riding
you can see if its secured while riding

I'm pretty sure my current bikes will work with 25s...

Last edited by fogrider; 10-22-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:33 PM

If the bike came with fender mounts, there would be a bunch of folks here bitching about “ I never use fenders, they mess up the clean lines, etc etc…).

Can’t we just appreciate a talented builder for what he’s done-and not what he hasn’t?

I like his work.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corso View Post
if the bike came with fender mounts, there would be a bunch of folks here bitching about “ i never use fenders, they mess up the clean lines, etc etc…).

Can’t we just appreciate a talented builder for what he’s done-and not what he hasn’t?

I like his work.
a++++++