Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 AM

The early suspect is downed PG&E power lines, given how many fires started so quickly during the high winds on Sunday night/Monday morning.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The early suspect is downed PG&E power lines, given how many fires started so quickly during the high winds on Sunday night/Monday morning.
Makes sense. A lot of lines running through wooded areas up there. Rainy winter = rapid growth of underbrush; followed by a record hot summer = lots of dry fuel. Add a spark and an East wind and you've got a disaster.

October is always the best (weather) and the worst (natural disasters) month in the Bay Area.

Prayers to everyone in the area and those coming in to help.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 AM

Skyhawk Santa Rosa being evacuated

That's where Jeremy Sycip lives. Not saying he's in imminent danger, just know that's his hood.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't be who I am without 3 transformative years, living in Santa Rosa and West (Sonoma) County. And I don't know what my passion would be without discovering mountain biking in Annadel. Very sad to see such devastation. Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this disaster.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 AM

video taken by Berkeley fire dept as they fought in Santa Rosa

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/...a-12279786.php
Old 10-22-2017, 02:00 PM

My wife, mother-in-law and sister-in-law are going to view the remains today and shift through the ash. As expected, a difficult process for mother-in-law (she's 84).
On the plus side, her and her cat have a home with us now, something that was in the works already, but accelerated by a couple of years as result of the the fire.

From the Adding Insult to Injury Department:
When attempting to register mother-in-law for FEMA online earlier this week, we found out that an unknown person had already registered an account using her name
and address, but with different email, phone, and bank info. We were then routed to the FEMA Fraud reporting department. FEMA has locked the account; we will
(re)register her in a couple of days.

Last edited by retrofit; 10-22-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
...From the Adding Insult to Injury Department:
When attempting to register mother-in-law for FEMA online earlier this week, we found out that an unknown person had already registered an account using her name
and address, but with different email, phone, and bank info. We were then routed to the FEMA Fraud reporting department. FEMA has locked the account; we will
(re)register her in a couple of days.
This makes my blood boil. So many stories of people taking advantage of the fire victims from looting to this, sickening.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
This makes my blood boil. So many stories of people taking advantage of the fire victims from looting to this, sickening.
Pathetic thing is, little to nothing is done to track these people down. So it continues.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
Pathetic thing is, little to nothing is done to track these people down. So it continues.
In conversations with Social Security and FEMA representatives in Santa Rosa, both remarked that the attempted fraudulent claims are possibly linked to the recent security breach of EQUIFAX accounts given that Social Security numbers are required to establish a FEMA account. FEMA representatives also stated that fraudulent claims are being forwarded to Homeland Security for investigation, though the likelihood of anyone facing felony charges is small.

On another note, my wife and sister-in-law recovered a few pieces of jewelry and some carbonized $100 bills from a toasted file cabinet. Below is a view of my mother-in-law's home from the front porch to the back yard (note the fountain, rear center). She said the devastation of the neighborhood reminded her of her childhood experiences following the bombing of London during WWII.

Carbonized cash