Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
What is odd is that if it was cut, it was cut near the top of the steerer, where the star-nut + top cap were. That makes complete sense if someone cut the steerer/insert in order to shorten ("Slam that stem, baby!" ) everything.

But then it is strange that the break looks to have occurred at the bottom (uncut end) of the insert.

Weird.
It was cut there because someone likely got it used and needed a slightly shorter steerer, and didn't realize the insert was needed at full length to give it proper strength. The star nut on these inserts was pretty far down from the top by my memory, and definitely here was cut... and not even smoothed out after the fact.

The fork broke right below the insert because the steerer needs the full length of the insert to reinforce the thinner tube wall and in this case didn't have it.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 PM

I'd like to see carbon steerer tubes made with a reinforcement that runs down far enough to work with any head tube length. Could be an AL extrusion or carbon with AL threaded core. If made this way you would just cut the steerer to whatever length, clean up the end of the threads with a tap and be good to go. No expansion plug or star nut needed.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 PM
v a n i l l a

These forks were not designed to be repurposed. You figured out what length you needed then Cut the steerer and glued in the insert. That's it.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 AM

Seriously impressed by your recovery from that mishap. Impressive handling and declipping!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
As several others have mentioned that doesn't look quite right. The metal sleeve should pass through the stem clamp, spacers, and extend a couple CM or more into the headset. If it stops above the headset it's only serving to hold the star nut in place and to create a hell of a stress riser on one of the thinnest/scariest steerer tubes I ever tested. (And I test a lot of them....)

Also, as others have mentioned, I'm very glad to hear you're okay!

If you're still interested in carbon after doing your research let me know. We build a big guy fork with a steerer tube nearly twice as thick as the old Ouzo Pro. And for reference, the OP's tube was nearly twice as thick as the AQ. That's why they needed the sleeve. These are the forks we use for guys in the NBA and NFL etc.

Not necessarily trying to make a sale...Just wanted you to know you've got options.
Listen to this guy, he has carbon fiber threads in his blood stream...
Old 10-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Randomhead

I always thought those sleeves were a bad solution to the problem of steerer breakage, and that was before this thread made me realize how many of them were cut. I can't imagine it was that much lighter or cheaper than just making a thicker steerer. Part of this is that I have one of those forks that needs to be shortened, so I need an insert.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I always thought those sleeves were a bad solution to the problem of steerer breakage, and that was before this thread made me realize how many of them were cut. I can't imagine it was that much lighter or cheaper than just making a thicker steerer. Part of this is that I have one of those forks that needs to be shortened, so I need an insert.
As long as the insert after the new cut is still below the top headset cup i wouldent bother with a new one. Then again, i wouldent ride those forks unless i had no other option .)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Carbon is fine as a replacement. Just don't use a fork that looks like it designed to kill someone to collect insurance money.

Ye Gods what a horrid design.