Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Madone and Campy UT crankset

Gonna take the 9000 off my Madone 7 and replace with a newer (2 year old) lightly used Super Record group.

Crankset seems to be an issue with the stinking BB90 bottom bracket.

I see there is a kit you can buy and install...anyone ever done this install, fairly easy or complicated?
Old 10-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Gonna take the 9000 off my Madone 7 and replace with a newer (2 year old) lightly used Super Record group.

Crankset seems to be an issue with the stinking BB90 bottom bracket.

I see there is a kit you can buy and install...anyone ever done this install, fairly easy or complicated?
Info here, just google BB90 Campagnolo B.B. adapter.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/tre...ks-271046.html
Old 10-13-2017, 03:20 PM

...and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qsYmq9nG9Y

Don't forget the Loctite 609 and primer, and get a proper press (not the wood dowels in the video).

And here is note from Trek (posted on VeloNews http://www.velonews.com/2013/06/bike...helmets_290405) with link to service manual.

From Trek:

We build hundreds of Project One Domane’s, Madone’s and Speed Concept’s with Campagnolo drivetrains every year without issue.

Our service instructions detail the installation process of Campagnolo Ultra Torque cranks to our BB90 format frames (when opened, skip ahead to Page 18). This also notes the specific Loctite required for proper installation.

To further assist, listed below are Trek’s part numbers for the Trek/Campy BB90 kit and Loctite; each can be ordered through any authorized Trek retailer.

Campy BB90 kit: P/N 407383
Loctite 638 (10 ml): P/N 408082
Loctite 7649 Primer: P/N 408083

Eric Maves
Trek Bicycle
Project One Guru

Last edited by lhuerta; 10-13-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post

Don't forget the Loctite 609 and primer, and get a proper press (not the wood dowels in the video).

And here is note from Trek (posted on VeloNews http://www.velonews.com/2013/06/bike...helmets_290405) with link to service manual.

From Trek:

We build hundreds of Project One Domane’s, Madone’s and Speed Concept’s with Campagnolo drivetrains every year without issue.

Our service instructions detail the installation process of Campagnolo Ultra Torque cranks to our BB90 format frames (when opened, skip ahead to Page 18). This also notes the specific Loctite required for proper installation.

To further assist, listed below are Trek’s part numbers for the Trek/Campy BB90 kit and Loctite; each can be ordered through any authorized Trek retailer.

Eric Maves
Trek Bicycle
Project One Guru
Just curious, how do the Trek supplied bearings differ from the Campagnolo 6805/6 bearings? I’m assuming they are bigger OD
Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 PM

I installed the Trek kit on my wife's Emonda (BB90)this Spring, it is not that bad to install. The OEM BB90 Sram/Shimano Trek bearings are the same outside diameter as Campy UltraTorque, but BB90 assembly is narrower than UltraTorque.
You can put the UltraTorque cranks and bearings in the BB90 frame but the bearings hang partially outside the bearing seats in the frame.
The kit consists of aluminum spacers that register and Loctite in the stock BB90 seal locations. The Loctite epoxies these spacers in location to widen the bottom bracket to Campy(ish) width.
I recall that there was a wavy washer and maybe some spacers to locate the cranks laterally in the bottom bracket.
You install the cranks with the stock Campy bearings, I understand that the kit from Trek is only for UltraTorque since the bearings are fitted to the cranks.
And YES you do need to install the kit with some kind of press(ure) to locate the sleeves while the Loctite sets.

Understand, my wife is scarcely five feet and 100 lbs, so she's no animal. But she has put a few thousand miles on the bike over the Summer without any issues.

Last edited by tombtfslpk; 10-14-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post

From Trek:

Eric Maves
Trek Bicycle
Project One Guru
Imagine how easy installing a B.B. would be if they just did something simple like ...... I don’t know .... maybe thread the B.B. shells??
Old 10-15-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Imagine how easy installing a B.B. would be if they just did something simple like ...... I don’t know .... maybe thread the B.B. shells??
You don't seem to be living up to your user name so much.... know what I mean?

Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
Heresy!! it's much better to make something proprietary, then not support it in the future..Lower headset bearing trashed? Buy a new frame!!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Heresy!! it's much better to make something proprietary, then not support it in the future..Lower headset bearing trashed? Buy a new frame!!
One word: Overtorque.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
One word: Overtorque.
Yup, agree...lots of other words out there BUT how many adapters made by shimano for the ton of BB standards out there? Plenty of ‘blame’ to go around.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:16 AM

I made this conversion when I purchased the frame some 12K+ miles ago. I had to modify the loctited cups by sanding down the outside face of the nd side to alleviate the rub from the crankarm. It really was a piece of cake. My only complaint is the lack of "weatherproofing" of the bearings which seem to require much more maintenance then my bikes that use the standard campy cups.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
You don't seem to be living up to your user name so much.... know what I mean?

Oh, I don’t know.

My suggestion is sort of sticking it to the man! .......
Old 10-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, agree...lots of other words out there BUT how many adapters made by shimano for the ton of BB standards out there? Plenty of ‘blame’ to go around.
Agree on the blame part but Campy deserves a special place in he!! for Overtorque by requiring a very expensive tool for installation and then discontinuing said tool.

I've got one and I'll rent it out for $1M/hr because if you've got an Overtorque crankset and you need to install it you're pretty well f'd without it.