Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM

my first 'cyclocross race'

After 23yrs since being in a timed cycling event, I decided to ride in a somewhat unique local event: CrossFondo http://tripleshotcrossfondo.ca/

It was a pretty great experience - hyperorganized, very laid back attitude, perfect Fall weather and great food and beer afterwards.

The course had elements of conventional CX, but wrapped in some fairly technical sections as well. To top it off, it rolled through a local MTB park and we were riding some supertechnical offroad trails which was quite hilarious on CX bikes. Basically, there are all of these disparate gravel trails that CX people train on around here and someone had the challenging and creative idea of stringing together a continuous route through farmers fields, up rural driveways and other novel solutions. I am a hack MTB rider, so I didn't find the MTB park difficult - my fitness was the greatest limitation.

Lots and lots of flats (none for me!) and a few minor injuries (none for me!) Any bike was welcome, and I would say it was about 2/3 CX bikes, 1/3 MTB. Obviously the MTBs won out in the super technical sections, but were dogging it when it came to riding the gravel trails and roads. After all the technical downhills, my hands were killing me from braking.

I followed an exCat 1 racer and Crosser who is now in his late 40s. He just rolled the course slowly and as he passed me on a really technical area, I took chase, keeping pace for a minute or so. He then pointed downhill and it was a lesson in bike handling - canti brakes and all, he just rolled out of sight through a bunch of rock gardens and disappeared. I guess if you are really good, you don't use those brake-y things as much as people like me . It was pretty awesome.

Many of the local hardcore CX guys raced it and blew everyone away, but for regular folks like me, it was a super fun timed event, creeping along at a snail's pace!

No photos, as my hands were on the handlebar at all time.

Is this a new type of event now? recreational cyclocross racing?

Last edited by d_douglas; 10-16-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:31 PM

Man,that looks like a great event!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM

I think this year was more technical than last years event ---> new route.

However, the video on their website shows torrential rain during last years event, and it was nothing but sunshine yesterday. Thank God.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Awesome! I will have to hop across for that next year! Looks totally sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Found this from last year:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wqf0ZFyiY