Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 08:15 AM

Smart Trainers??

As we begin to roll into colder weather, I am finding myself having to jump on the trainer to get any kind of work in when weather is uncooperative. I've had the same K Kinetics 'dumb' trainer for a number of years. I really hate the trainer, it is just a monotonous grind. Wondering if anyone who felt the same way, is now happier having moved to one of the smart trainers. Cost of admission looks to be around $1000, not nothing, especially if it is not likely to change my thoughts vis-a-vis riding indoors in a meaningful way. I have read a number of reviews and while they describe features well, and describe their relative ability to convert 'road feel', but most don't really seem to convey (at least to me) whether they improve the indoor experience, or not. Thank you in advance!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoots58 View Post
As we begin to roll into colder weather, I am finding myself having to jump on the trainer to get any kind of work in when weather is uncooperative. I've had the same K Kinetics 'dumb' trainer for a number of years. I really hate the trainer, it is just a monotonous grind. Wondering if anyone who felt the same way, is now happier having moved to one of the smart trainers. Cost of admission looks to be around $1000, not nothing, especially if it is not likely to change my thoughts vis-a-vis riding indoors in a meaningful way. I have read a number of reviews and while they describe features well, and describe their relative ability to convert 'road feel', but most don't really seem to convey (at least to me) whether they improve the indoor experience, or not. Thank you in advance!!!
If you’ve got a computer, a dumb trainer, and some sensors, I’d suggest zwift. It’s worth the $10/mo to give you something better than watching movies to do while on the trainer. I just started using it a few weeks ago and while it’s not giving me meaningful training(yet) it at least removes some of the monotony.

I haven’t looked at it’s structured workout plans yet to determine if it will replace trainerroad as my go to actual training software.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 AM

I ride on the trainer quite a bit. I have used a KK Road machine and TrainerRoad with Sufferfest videos. Last year I go the itch to try a smart trainer so I bought a Wahoo Kickr thinking it would change everything. I rode with it for a couple of weeks trying it with TrainerRoad and with other online site designed to work with the trainer. At first I enjoyed the power being controlled but the novelty worn out quickly. For me it didn't give the great "road feel" everyone talks about.
I ended up going back to my old trainer and am just as happy if not a little more so because I'm not out the $1000.00.
I'm sure a lot of others will feel differently. My advise would be, if possible, to try before you buy.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:50 AM

I went from a Kurt road machine to a Tacx Neo Smart and the difference is dramatic.

I use an iPad and download videos to it, and ride famous race courses and climbs and really enjoy it. It has taken the drudgery out of it for me and I'm very happy I went this way.

I tried Zwift but didn't like it.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:02 AM

No - the general experience with a "fully smart" trainer is still very similar for me.
A CycleOps Hammer being my smart trainer reference point.

What most effectively changes the experience for me is mental stimulation/diversion - CycleOps Virtual Training (now Rouvy) and Zwift. Zwift is more "entertaining" and more personally engaging.

My trainer "fleet" consists of a 1UP USA portable wheel-on trainer, a few (3) LeMond Revolution direct-drive trainers, and a couple of CycleOps Indoor Cycles. All of which track power by the unit itself or via PowerTap P1 pedals. Based on prior experience with these trainers, I elected not to keep the Hammer smart trainer. The added value of the Hammer was automated resistance control (no turning knobs or shifting gears), which is a nice touch but not significant enough for me to make more investment in inside riding (which I hate regardless of trainer - so far).

If "precision" is important to you with interactive trainer software, then a fully automated smart trainer might be what you need to mentally feel as if something outside of yourself is controlling your experience - more like riding outside and reacting to the environment. The deciding question is then how accurate is the resistance controlled by the interactive software "conditions" compared with real world conditions of a similar nature?

Personally I don't think you'll find any "magic" with a smart trainer. Some new-found novelty (and a little lighter wallet) that will give you a motivational kick in the shorts ... for a while. End of day I'm still riding inside and even with fans blasting and video distraction, after an hour or so I find myself really struggling mentally to push on. YMMV

Last edited by sitzmark; 10-15-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 AM

I have an older Kickr. Pair it with PerfPro on the computer to control it, build my own workouts, and (as much as you can) love it. Don't want to mess with your own? There are hundreds of pre-loaded ones. Works with lots of videos, like Sufferfest. It no longer is as much of a grind. The thing I like about PerfPro vs Trainerroad or the like is it's pay once & done. I try to avoid monthly fees as much as I can.
I'd suggest it if you are willing to drop the coin on the trainer.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 AM

I'm not a heavy trainer user but I love my Kickr Snap. For years I would reluctantly use my 1Up trainer and grind it out but give up after about 45 minutes. If the weather is bad and I need to ride, no hesitation now to set it up and go. I use Zwift but any other interactive program would be as good. My Snap set me back about $500-600 on sale.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM

I hate traditional trainers as well. Problem 1 with a traditional trainer is boredom. That's relatively easy to solve (sort of) by adding some sort of video content. It's better when that content is tied directly to your performance via a smart trainer but not demonstrably so.

Problem 2 is pushing myself. I will grant you that I am a lazy sot but all too common on a traditional trainer to find myself slogging along in a small gear at 75 rpm, not really pushing. Yeah, I could calibrate the trainer to a stimulated power curve but I never actually did that (lazy, remember?)

The cool thing about a smart trainer is that it encourages you to push yourself by (1) changing the resistance of the trainer to match the road and (2) providing competition - either real or simulated. This is a game changer for me. I wind up pushing myself hard to beat that competitor - even when I know that it's only a computer. As a result, I get a MUCH better workout in much less time to the point where I was using the trainer even on nice days because, living in a city, my inside training sessions were much more productive than my outside sessions.

Smart trainers cost more and you usually need to have some sort of online service that costs extra but they were worth it for me. I own a Bkool trainer that I paid around $500 for and it was worth every penny. I don' claim to be an expert in trainers (go to dcrainmaker.com for extensive comparisons between trainers) so I can't tell you that it's the best in class but I will say that it was worth every penny to me.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Retired!

I'm using a 5 year old CompuTrainer paired with Zwift and I love it. I'm one who's never really had difficulty riding an indoor trainer in the past but Zwift takes it to a whole other level. It's so much more engaging than any other form of indoor trainer I've used. My workouts on my CompuTrainer push me in ways I don't often do when I'm out on the road.

Here's some video I spliced together to show what riding with Zwift looks like.

https://youtu.be/NIJGWDwKbQI

Kevin g
Old 10-15-2017, 07:10 PM

I am sure one of your riding buddies has a smart trainer that you can try/borrow. I much prefer my smart trainer over my previous 3 dumb trainers. I picked up a tacx vortex from a German website for 330 shipped. It comes with risk, but I accepted that. You should definitely check out dcrainmakers trainer review. It came out last week.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Just read this:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/...endations.html

you're unlikely to find more comprehensive information on this stuff than from dc rainmaker.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
I am sure one of your riding buddies has a smart trainer that you can try/borrow. I much prefer my smart trainer over my previous 3 dumb trainers. I picked up a tacx vortex from a German website for 330 shipped. It comes with risk, but I accepted that. You should definitely check out dcrainmakers trainer review. It came out last week.

My I ask what web site and how you paid, you can PM me if you prefer, Thx
Old 10-15-2017, 08:07 PM

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...hoCGkMQAvD_BwE
I got it on sale around the holidays with free shipping. It comes with the wrong plug but a 2 dollar adapter will fix that. If you ever have a warrantee issue it is not cheap to ship back. I have been very happy with mine. I use rouvy aka virtual trainer with it. I find it engaging and it has resulted in more indoor training on my part.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Oh and I used PayPal so I was covered on the purchase. Shipping was slow.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:21 PM

I used the same site to buy a Tacx Genius which arrived DOA. It took a long time to straighten it out, but I was eventually able to return it and they covered most of the return shipping.

I'd wanted Tacx to send a replacement brake unit but they were not helpful, hence the return. I got the Kickr Snap from REI.