Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 AM

Question anyone have knee cartilage surgery: microfracture or newer replacement approach?

having issues with a knee, affects my running not sure where this road may lead, but i'm curious what folks experiences have been with these approaches to address damaged cartilage.

Last edited by wallymann; 10-02-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:03 PM

I had the outer third of my meniscus removed due to a bucket tear that I was unable to get timely surgery for.

I babied my knee for about a year due to the doctor saying I only had so many good miles left before I would need a total knee replacement. After awhile I decided to start running again.

I currently put about 25-30 road running miles on it a week. I had my last MRI about a year ago and there wasn’t really any extra wear on the bones.

Shoes wise I run in a pair of Hokas and two pairs of Nike Free knits. I pick up whatever is closer to the door and can tell any real difference in my 4-5 runs.

If you are talking about articular cartilage injury, I have no personal experience but can’t see there being any real difference.

Last edited by JWDR; 10-02-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDR View Post
If you are talking about articular cartilage injury, I have no personal experience but can’t see there being any real difference.
this is for cases where one has a hole worn thru the load bearing surface of knee cartilage.

micro-fracture is one technique to address that using microscopic injury/healing to grow replacement cartilage in the affected area, but the new material isnt exactly the same as from the factory (not as durable). this technique has been around for maybe 15 years or so with limited long-term benefit.

a newer technique is using a cartilage graft to repair the damage using the patients actual cartilage (a small sample is cultured/grown to create a larger patch). the new cartilage is intended to be the same durable stuff as came from the factory. this is new, been in trials for 5 years or so and very promising.

Last edited by wallymann; 10-02-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:12 PM

Check over on Slowtwitch forums, they have quite a bit of posting on meniscus tears.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 PM