Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 AM
gt eunuch gt eunuch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Why is this so complicated

Moving buildings for work; Today, I commute 5 days a week by bike and I have a secure, covered parking spot where I do not even lock my bike up.

Where I am going to start working I have to park at a rack that is 15' off of a sidewalk, and barely covered (everything still gets wet when it rains). Seats/posts, wheels, lights have all been snagged of the rack at this current place. I can securely lock up my frame/wheels but the rest is kind of up for grabs.

Unfortunately for me, I am (almost too) attached to my entire stable. Logical solution is to 'get a crappy bike' to commute on here, but I don't want to commute on a crappy bike.

Paceline, what would you ride, if you didn't want to ride a 'crappy' bike, but had to lock it up daily on the street?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 AM
jtakeda jtakeda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Town
Posts: 3,131
I do this everyday.


I have a landshark roadshark that’s missing the original fork and had been cracked and repaired.

Security skewers for the wheels.

Rare earth magnet balls in the stem bolts and seatpost.

Put a star nut in the seatpost and tie a knot with some sturdy nylon string. Replace a seat tube water bottle cage bolt with an extra long one so it snags the nylon not and boom. Unless the thief is smart enough to remove your water bolts you’re covered.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Bradford's Avatar
Bradford Bradford is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,105
Obviously, the solution is to buy a new bike.

Buy something good but not great and then rattle can it until it looks like a beater. There are plenty of options for a bike that will ride will and cost under a grand to build.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:34 AM
chiasticon chiasticon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,439
how long is your commute? if it's short enough, I'd go fixed gear or single speed. wheels are bolted to the bike then, so that should help. plus there's less stuff overall to steal from it, and most of the components are pretty inexpensive. plus it's easier to maintain a single speed/fixed drivetrain that faces weather regularly, versus a geared one. could even go with a belt drive.

sorry your new lock up situation isn't ideal. but hey, at least you can commute to work. I live far enough away that it's not a reasonable thing to do. but if I did, I could just bring my bike into my office. figures, right?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:36 AM
ColonelJLloyd ColonelJLloyd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Louisville
Posts: 3,620
I'd definitely look for an aluminum frame. Lots of antiseize on all the bolts. Give it a good once over regularly.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Tickdoc's Avatar
Tickdoc Tickdoc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: TUL
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt eunuch View Post
Moving buildings for work; Today, I commute 5 days a week by bike and I have a secure, covered parking spot where I do not even lock my bike up.

Where I am going to start working I have to park at a rack that is 15' off of a sidewalk, and barely covered (everything still gets wet when it rains). Seats/posts, wheels, lights have all been snagged of the rack at this current place. I can securely lock up my frame/wheels but the rest is kind of up for grabs.

Unfortunately for me, I am (almost too) attached to my entire stable. Logical solution is to 'get a crappy bike' to commute on here, but I don't want to commute on a crappy bike.

Paceline, what would you ride, if you didn't want to ride a 'crappy' bike, but had to lock it up daily on the street?

No interior stairwell or maintenance closet to lock it up in (with employer permission)?
__________________
♦️♠️
♣️♥️
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM
bicipunk bicipunk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 31
I just commute and work (I'm a part time messenger) on nicer vintage frames, use pitlock skewers for my wheelset and seatpost, super glue ball bearings into my stem bolt and saddle clamping bolts (can be easily removed using paint thinner) and use an Abus G x-plus 54 mini u-lock for the frame. Don't lock stupid and you're good to go. I haven't had a problem in years
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 AM
veggieburger's Avatar
veggieburger veggieburger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,028
It's too bad you don't feel comfortable using an existing bike...you shouldn't have to buy something else! I would take Ticdoc's advice - find a place inside. Explain the value of your bike(s) to your employer and try to work with them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM
cderalow's Avatar
cderalow cderalow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MoCo MD
Posts: 368
See if your employer will let you bring the bike inside?

cd
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
gt eunuch gt eunuch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Thanks for the responses; Building isn't owned by my employer, and the building wont budge, I will keep poking.

My commute is about 8 miles there, and I regularly turn it into 15-20 on the way home (father of 2 under 5, this is my riding time, ha)

I forgot to mention in my previous post that 2 weeks ago a bike was stolen from the same rack. Owner said he was using a u-lock and cable lock (I didnt see it myself). The bike stolen was a early 90's Cannondale road bike, the kind with the plastic clips on the tt for the rear brake (all but 1 was broken, brake cable dangling), and was pretty beat up. My bikes are pretty much all more attention grabbing than this one.

Last edited by gt eunuch; 10-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 AM
JAGI410 JAGI410 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 1,470
Buy a cheap beater cargo van and leave it parked in the lot. Put bike inside!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM
gt eunuch gt eunuch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Buy a cheap beater cargo van and leave it parked in the lot. Put bike inside!
That is a better idea than you might think; I have to have a parking spot in a garage for my car anyway, ha!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:31 AM
icepick_trotsky's Avatar
icepick_trotsky icepick_trotsky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,145
What else is in the neighborhood? Maybe you can join a gym and work out an indoor storage solution there.
__________________
Party on Comrads! -- Lenin, probably
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM
cderalow's Avatar
cderalow cderalow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MoCo MD
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt eunuch View Post
Thanks for the responses; Building isn't owned by my employer, and the building wont budge, I will keep poking.

My commute is about 8 miles there, and I regularly turn it into 15-20 on the way home (father of 2 under 5, this is my riding time, ha)

I forgot to mention in my previous post that 2 weeks ago a bike was stolen from the same rack. Owner said he was using a u-lock and cable lock (I didnt see it myself). The bike stolen was a early 90's Cannondale road bike, the kind with the plastic clips on the tt for the rear brake (all but 1 was broken, brake cable dangling), and was pretty beat up. My bikes are pretty much all more attention grabbing than this one.
See if they've got a loading dock/freight elevator you can bring it through instead of the main lobby.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 AM
mt2u77 mt2u77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 25
I don't know what type of job you work in, but this is one of those situations where it would cost very little for the employer to do something that would make quite a few employees happy. Sounds like they have garage parking for car drivers, so why not convert one or two stalls to bike parking. At least it would be out of the rain.

Take note employers: in a knowledge economy, your best bang for your buck in attracting and retaining talent is little stuff like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.