Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2016, 12:36 PM

Wow. That game had everything. Just a fantastic spectacle. VERY entertaining and interesting even from a neutral's perspective.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Well that sucked but still a good game with very different carachters in first n 2nd.
Yes, not what I expected at all.

Mourinho really ragging on his players (and that diva Clattenburg) after...if he keeps going like this it's going to be a tough season. I'mnot sure that he can do at MU what he did at Inter, in terms of intimidation, etc.

This was funny:
Old 09-10-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
There are a couple of derbys which easily outrank city-united.. like the old firm, or Schalke-Dortmund. But it *is* a nice tie, i agree
"Easily"? Come on....

A derby which hadn't even been played for 4 years prior to today (and which ended 5-1 today) is no longer a top derby, outside of Scotland.

As a die-hard Inter fan I would never claim that, outside of Milano, let alone Italy, the Derby della Madonnina outranks Manchester. Neither do Juve-Toro or Lazio-Roma or Samp-Genoa or Fiorentina-Empoli or Verona-Chievo or Bergamo-Atalanta, etc...

That said, the Derby della Madonnina easily outranks all the other derbies in the world.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:05 PM
needs adult supervision

Early days, but ManCity looks like the side to beat this year. And at least my boys (Arsenal) have ceased to suck completely.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Early days, but ManCity looks like the side to beat this year. And at least my boys (Arsenal) have ceased to suck completely.
They got points today, but the play was uninspired. Coquelan was a waste but remained on the pitch for the game. Need to give up on Walcott, sorry Theo. Ozil looks bored. the play is without purpose. we need some killer instinct in he side, some character. I'd like to see more of Elneny and Giroud, at least they are gamers and work horses
Old 09-10-2016, 05:33 PM

I despise them, but Juve are looking very good.

Higuain is in Ballon d'Or form.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
"Easily"? Come on....

A derby which hadn't even been played for 4 years prior to today (and which ended 5-1 today) is no longer a top derby, outside of Scotland.

As a die-hard Inter fan I would never claim that, outside of Milano, let alone Italy, the Derby della Madonnina outranks Manchester. Neither do Juve-Toro or Lazio-Roma or Samp-Genoa or Fiorentina-Empoli or Verona-Chievo or Bergamo-Atalanta, etc...

That said, the Derby della Madonnina easily outranks all the other derbies in the world.
There are a lot of of fiercely fought derbys out there. City:Manchester is at the top, but not the only one out there, simply because City was too weak for decades. I know the PR machines tell you otherwise.

This is what happens when, for example, the second squads of 1860 Munich and Bayern meet... this is 4th league football. And not even them claim to be the biggest Derby on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8XxQLV26o

This is hat happens when Schalke meet BVB09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6xO7qWlpc

And this is what happens when Red Star meets Dinamo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKcPmkZGYwg

you wouldn't see Mourinho doing this... ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_GcaJG8cOA

Last edited by martl; 09-10-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
90 min. catenaccio? Grazie, ma no, grazie!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, not what I expected at all.

Mourinho really ragging on his players (and that diva Clattenburg) after...if he keeps going like this it's going to be a tough season. I'mnot sure that he can do at MU what he did at Inter, in terms of intimidation, etc.

This was funny:
Hehe yeah rooney handled that well i think tho.
Hmm well he was right Mou (He would likely have said it even if not but he was..) That was at least one pen and red. Yeah he will likely get some sort of disciplinary actions taken against him. Think he is calculating that he will get more decisions his way later if talking about the "injustices" that united have to put up with lol. Could be very calculated could also be spur of the moment in the interview, hard to tell with him as he is both calculating and emotional.

City looks good but id like to c them struggle in a game and then win it before i say they are clear favorites.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
There are a lot of of fiercely fought derbys out there. City:Manchester is at the top, but not the only one out there, simply because City was too weak for decades. I know the PR machines tell you otherwise.
I fear the locals much more than the PR machines.

I happened to be in Porta Garibaldi (Milano) station once, as a commuter and not as a fan, when Inter and Atalanta fans were setting off for Bergamo. Not dressed in colors, etc.; I had no connection to the match. And there I was, in amongst all these crazies, fearful for my life. It was not fun at all.

And that was nothing compared to this guy, Ivan Bogdanov, banned not from a stadium, not from a city, not from a province, but from an entire country.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
90 min. catenaccio? Grazie, ma no, grazie!
What, you don't like pitty-patty defensive holding and time of possession statistics?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Hehe yeah rooney handled that well i think tho.
Hmm well he was right Mou (He would likely have said it even if not but he was..) That was at least one pen and red. Yeah he will likely get some sort of disciplinary actions taken against him. Think he is calculating that he will get more decisions his way later if talking about the "injustices" that united have to put up with lol. Could be very calculated could also be spur of the moment in the interview, hard to tell with him as he is both calculating and emotional.

City looks good but id like to c them struggle in a game and then win it before i say they are clear favorites.
Perfect summation of his character.

Yes, it is way, way too early yet.
As Michael Davies would say, "We're at 4/38 of the English Premier League season, Rog. That reduces to 2/19!"
Old 09-11-2016, 02:51 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
I fear the locals much more than the PR machines.

I happened to be in Porta Garibaldi (Milano) station once, as a commuter and not as a fan, when Inter and Atalanta fans were setting off for Bergamo. Not dressed in colors, etc.; I had no connection to the match. And there I was, in amongst all these crazies, fearful for my life. It was not fun at all.
there are Ultras (usually not explicitly violent, more just dedicated fans visiting every match), there are Hools, there is the rest of the supporters. As a normal football supporter, it is highly unlikely to get in trouble with those, though. The Ultras and the Hools do have a set of (weird) "rules" for dealing with each other and usually don't interfere with members of other groups or neutrals; Though that may vary a bit from country to country.

There are some countries/cities where football supporter groups have degenerated to mobs and one definitely does not want to mess with them, often not even the local law enforcement.

Well, the Italians... they are something else. Love them, love their country, been there often, but their Tifosi really stand out. I've been to numerous international matches at home and away, and when some are behaving like complete jerks against ordinary opposite team supporters or neutrals, its usually the italians. Never had any issues with spanish fans, for example. At the 2001 CL finale Bayern-Valencia at Milano, the atmosphere in the city, which was full of supporters of both teams, was great all day long. A lot of banter, singing of club anthems etc, but all in good spirit and never hostile. After the match, some Valencia Supporters had their car parked next to ours. We couldn't really talk to them, so we just shared a beer... At the 2009 finale in Madrid, the Inter supporters were downright hostile. We almost got jumped by a group of them for just walking past them. After the match - well, no beer with them, but countless middle fingers.

Last edited by martl; 09-11-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 AM

Well another bad day for united. Horrible display. Sickening tbh .)

Better luck to Inter today! Going to be a very tough game, Juve have looked quite the team lately.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:34 AM

I think too much was paid for Pogba, he is a good player, but not a savior. Thats ok, i have never really liked man united anyway
Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
I think too much was paid for Pogba, he is a good player, but not a savior. Thats ok, i have never really liked man united anyway
Nope he certainly looks lost. I never thought he would be a future worlds best but i would expect him to do a lot better than he has so far. He is all over the place and not very good in any of the positions he finds himself in tbh. Still think he will come good but he is not going to be the world beater so many united fans seem to think he would.