Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 PM

Thanks for all the options guys. For my builds I definitely want to stick with the higher quality stuff, but it does seem much more cost effective for my needs to just buy singles. However, any other comparable options I should try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I know some pals would frown on this and I have mentioned this before. I get my lifetime supply of cables from here.

It costs me less than $4 for a complete set (enough for a full build) and I have used them on all my bikes. They worked fine and at that price, I can overhaul or rebuild as many times as I like. Obviously, if you gonna compare it to Jagwire or the other brand names, this option won't be viable for you.
Ok, I wished you would've posted this info a month ago. I was buying cheap cable/housing sets to replace the ones on my wife's old clunker of bike (a good of steel Schwinn with a friction shifters, 27" wheels I believe). Was looking around for something that cheap. Still ended up paying about $18 total for both sets (Shimanos Brake and Shifter kits). Different color housing even but I really don't care for this bike and the wife won't either.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I know some pals would frown on this and I have mentioned this before. I get my lifetime supply of cables from here.

It costs me less than $4 for a complete set (enough for a full build) and I have used them on all my bikes. They worked fine and at that price, I can overhaul or rebuild as many times as I like. Obviously, if you gonna compare it to Jagwire or the other brand names, this option won't be viable for you.
PLUS 11s shimano really almost 'requires' their way slick, poly coated inner wires. Non big $ der wires work but there is a quite a difference in shift 'feel'..
Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
PLUS 11s shimano really almost 'requires' their way slick, poly coated inner wires. Non big $ der wires work but there is a quite a difference in shift 'feel'..
Rode the $10k WOW factor bike - still prefer the down tube-dented sub-$1000 Giant Defy alum bike that I picked up from the dumpster

Drove my friend's 60k Infiniti Q50 - still prefer my 243k miles manual 1995 Honda Accord that drives like a dream

Clamped my bike on seat post, dropout, every known part, you name it - still prefer the top tube, zero issue in all 30 years of wrenching esp. if you know what you are doing

Used the special 11s cable/housing that Shimano provided - still prefer the $4 cable set that I used on all my bikes, 9s, 10s, 11s, difference not enough for me

Rode my Sachs on 700cc wheels - still prefer the 650b configuration, the fatter set of tires is better suited and give me just the right feelin' I am looking for

Sorry my personal experience differs from yours.

I am weird that way.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Rode the $10k WOW factor bike - still prefer the down tube-dented sub-$1000 Giant Defy alum bike that I picked up from the dumpster

Drove my friend's 60k Infiniti Q50 - still prefer my 243k miles manual 1995 Honda Accord that drives like a dream

Clamped my bike on seat post, dropout, every known part, you name it - still prefer the top tube, zero issue in all 30 years of wrenching esp. if you know what you are doing

Used the special 11s cable/housing that Shimano provided - still prefer the $4 cable set that I used on all my bikes, 9s, 10s, 11s, difference not enough for me

Rode my Sachs on 700cc wheels - still prefer the 650b configuration, the fatter set of tires is better suited and give me just the right feelin' I am looking for

Sorry my personal experience differs from yours.

I am weird that way.
Long week?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Long week?
No, actually, things are going well. No hard feelings. Just sayin'.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:32 AM

While I won't go so far down the rabbit hole as to use the $4 for complete set cables, I buy my inner cables in semi-bulk (10-12 of each at a time) for about $1/each from China via eBay. They state they're Jagwire, but who knows. Then I pick up 50' boxes of decent Jagwire housing.

I prefer to use this stuff over the Shimano because it doesn't have the coating on the wire that starts to fray and peel if you dare to look at it funny...
Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

As an experiment, I bought 25 feet each of grey jagwire shifter and brake housing, then picked up a bunch of cables from REI on closeout. Now I just peel off what I need for housing, grab some cables off he rack, and I’m good. When I work my way through, I’ll just refill my stock. I’m much happier then when I was buying the kits.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 PM
kg

Quote:
Funny that I haven't noticed a difference, at least with the shop inner cables. I'm quite happy not to have noticed since I seem to notice practically everything else and become annoyed by low quality tires, brake blocks, bar tape, and coffee.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Funny that I haven't noticed a difference, at least with the shop inner cables. I'm quite happy not to have noticed since I seem to notice practically everything else and become annoyed by low quality tires, brake blocks, bar tape, and coffee.
Yeah, coffee matters, but I am happy with a big file box of brake housing I bought 20 years ago on the cheap. Careful trimming grinding, and ferrules do the trick. Shifter housing is touchier, but seems to last longer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 11:47 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestmachinery View Post
Yeah, coffee matters, but I am happy with a big file box of brake housing I bought 20 years ago on the cheap. Careful trimming grinding, and ferrules do the trick. Shifter housing is touchier, but seems to last longer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Apologies for thread drift, but what's a good way to square off housing without power equipment (unless there's a cheap attachment for my power drill)?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:40 PM
You still here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Apologies for thread drift, but what's a good way to square off housing without power equipment (unless there's a cheap attachment for my power drill)?
I cut housing with an old cable inserted, using a Shimano cable cutter. After the cut and removal of old cable. I use a good flat file to square and smooth the end.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
Thanks for all the options guys. For my builds I definitely want to stick with the higher quality stuff, but it does seem much more cost effective for my needs to just buy singles. However, any other comparable options I should try?
Quote:
QBP has a 20 pack of the DA/polymer der cables...not cheap tho..about $185 wholesale(yikes!!)
Old Potatoe's suggestion comes to less than $9.25 a pack. Quite a deal. However, that's 10 to 20 years worth of cables, unless you're really into recabling your bike.

Could you talk a few friends to go in on a bulk purchase with you?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Hi quality Campy Specific cables and housing is so cheap from places like Ribble and others, when I order a years supply of tires, tubes, chains, cassettes, handle bar tape, cables and housing, etc....no need to buy in bulk.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
The Jagwire polished wires work really well too. ...but anything less 'slick' has problems.

M