Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 AM

I'm trying to figure out the same thing.

I ran TRP 8.4 Mini Vs last year and they were great. Crashed out before the muddy part of the season though.

I've since sold them with the old frame and have a blank slate for the new build.

Are TRP RevoX any good? Seems like they're <$100 New on the 'Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM

A couple of Tektro 720 users in here. I have those on two bikes. On one they set up easily and have great power and modulation and never need adjustment. So I bought another set for a second bike. I just can't seem to get any power out of the front brake. Pad distance from pivot is within a mm or so of the other bike so I don't think it's leverage. The bad set also corrodes and sticks on one side when it sees the smallest amount of water. Wash the bike or ride in the wet and I have to take the front brakes off for a clean and grease. I am using thinline Koolstops on both. Levers are 5800 on the bike that works great and 6800 on the other.

I'd say these can be great brakes but maybe not every time. I'll also take any advice anyone has about getting better performance out of the problem set.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 AM

I have had the Tektro 720s and found them pretty poor and very very fiddly and demanding of constant attention.

The TRP CX9s/CX8.4s are good, have good power but can also be a little maintenance intensive compared to normal road brakes or discs.

Whether it's Cantis, Vs, or Mini-Vs I've always had short life out of them if they get exposed to weather. Normal road brakes seem to get the pivots up out of the spray and last a lot longer and discs have this really well solved too.

I managed to come by the adjustable noodles just about free, the TRPs don't come with them IIRC.. I either took them out of my parts bin from some other brake and/or the LBS gave me a set free from their random small parts bin. Sometimes shops won't even charge you for that little stuff.

Opinions on power and modulation seem to have a lot to do with what you're doing with them and how much grip the tire has.. I am generally using a tire that is bigger (not cross legal) and has more ability to deal with mud than most cross tires so that is part of my opinion on power.. and I'm also probably generally not going to use them in as much a mud fest/destroy the earth situation as a lot of cross races turn into.

Last edited by benb; 07-26-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 AM

I've used CR720s for a couple years and found them to be finicky and lacking in power.

I swapped over to Tektro 926AL mini-Vs about a year ago and the stopping power was excellent, but in the long run I've found them to be even more finicky. It seems like I have to adjust them every time I remove the wheel. I have wider rims -- DT Swiss R460, so maybe that's the issue? Even with adjustable noodles it can be a real struggle just to be able to loosen the brakes enough to get the wheel out.

So this weekend I'm going to swap back over to the CR720s with Kool Stop cross pads (I don't like the thinlines, they're too long) and just keep my fingers crossed that I can get them adjusted better this time.

As an aside, I realize that in theory, cantis are great if they're set up perfectly. I don't necessarily have the time, skill, or patience to set them up perfectly. I'm OK with my shortcomings and would rather spend time finding a product that is user-friendly.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
I don't necessarily have the time, skill, or patience to set them up perfectly. I'm OK with my shortcomings and would rather spend time finding a product that is user-friendly.
Word. Thanks for bringing this up - This is what I remembered about cantis before I got into cross, but the last set I had were great. TRP magnesium euro x - easy to work with (actually, quite a pain in the ass to set up on install, but very easy to manipulate/adjust after that). I guess maybe I should just stick with something I know I like and works well, but I'm not finding those really anywhere, especially not for sub $100.

I think I'd forgotten what a pain in the ass cantis can be.

So I guess something just like the euroX, except more available and cheaper

ETA - well now that I realized they're TRP euroxs, not Tektro... i see there's a handful on ebay for right at $100..

Last edited by Dead Man; 07-26-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 AM
The B!

I had a set of Avid Shortys on my first CX bike - Jake le Snake - and swore I'd never use canti for off-mud use again. Man those brakes ****ing blew chucks... hated them. Constantly un-adjusting themselves and rubbing against the rim, getting corroded and stuck on the stud, HORRIBLE braking force.. ugh. Nothing like that, ever again plz
Old 07-26-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
A couple of Tektro 720 users in here. I have those on two bikes. On one they set up easily and have great power and modulation and never need adjustment. So I bought another set for a second bike. I just can't seem to get any power out of the front brake. Pad distance from pivot is within a mm or so of the other bike so I don't think it's leverage. The bad set also corrodes and sticks on one side when it sees the smallest amount of water. Wash the bike or ride in the wet and I have to take the front brakes off for a clean and grease. I am using thinline Koolstops on both. Levers are 5800 on the bike that works great and 6800 on the other.

I'd say these can be great brakes but maybe not every time. I'll also take any advice anyone has about getting better performance out of the problem set.
Braking leverage (power) is determined by the straddle cable length. If you have it dialed in on one bike, just measure it and duplicate the setup, keeping in mind that fork/stud dimensions may vary a little, but not much. If you want more power, higher straddle cable, just be sure you don't bottom out the levers against the handlebars- but a "spongy" feel on the levers with a high straddle cable= lots of mechanical advantage (power). As far as sticking, I use a heavy waterproof grease on the studs, check to see that the stud bolt isn't too short and binding the canti arm as well. I have better luck with thicker pads, don't like the thinlines because ideally the canti arms are parallel with the ground (90deg to the plane of the wheels) at the point where the pads contact the rims, so adjust the brake pad posts accordingly- I put most of the washers on the inside of the canti arm and still need a little extra thickness from fatter pads (not thinlines). It seems like alchemy but once it works, it all works well, later adjustments as the pads wear are easy, I adjust the straddle cable length rather than the main brake cable as it's easier.
Sheldon Brown (RIP) explains it better https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html

Last edited by zennmotion; 07-26-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
Are TRP RevoX any good? Seems like they're <$100 New on the 'Bay.
Yes! RevoX are the best canti I've used, even better than Shimano CX70 (my previous favorite), even better than Paul. All great stoppers.

The EuroX look great but don't perform anywhere close to any of the above.

Instagram
Old 07-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
The TRP CX9s/CX8.4s are good, have good power but can also be a little maintenance intensive compared to normal road brakes or discs.

I managed to come by the adjustable noodles just about free, the TRPs don't come with them IIRC...
+1

Having owned bikes with Shimano with CX9s and SRAM with the CX8.4s, the latter is an especially great combo. Tons of one-finger braking power, I loved how easy it was to modulate speed.

Definitely required constant fiddling to keep them working their best, but it's totally worth it IMHO. Being on hyrdo discs now is great for being low maintenance, but my setup isn't really any better at one-finger stopping than my old bike with SRAM and CX8.4s.

In my case the CX8.4 came with adjustable noodles but the CX 9 didn't.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post

The EuroX look great but don't perform anywhere close to any of the above.
No ship?? Whys that? I just ordered another set o the EuroX
Old 07-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
No ship?? Whys that? I just ordered another set o the EuroX
beats me. I can't get the power from EuroX that I get from RevoX.

Instagram
Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM

The best cantilever brakes I've ever used were actually mini v brakes.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:12 PM
commuter racer

I raced cross in PDX for several years and mud clearance is pretty important. I used these on my front and set them open pretty wide and they worked really well. Plus cheap! http://road.cc/content/review/14473-...es-cantilevers

I had them on the back too but they stick out too far and I tore a hole in my skinsuit so I replaced them with cane creeks.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM

These work well. Good modulation and good stopping power. No squeal, no fork shudder.

Campy CX brakes, with KoolStop pads. As set up they still have 3-4 mm spacing from the rims (more than V brakes), and when fully engaged the Campy levers are a good 2-3 cm from the bars.

Note the amount of in-toeing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campy-cx-brakes.jpg (145.6 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:51 AM

I've run several different setups and gone back the Cane Creek SCX-5s. These have been easy to work with and dial in--I can get setups that easily lock up no problem. Using a good pad and holder makes a big difference. I like their profile. Don't stick out too far and knock heels etc

TRP Eurox ok but the adjustment initially was a pain.
Mini/road Vs were fair but I didn't think they were better than the cantis and seemed to require lots of tweaking to deal with pad spacing due to arms drifting.
Classic cantis and the low profile 90s era mtb ones were good with proper set up although the low profile have their drawbacks since they are a bit of a compromise design.

I really think understanding the setup is the critical part and almost any brake will work well if setup properly and maintained, including keeping pads cleaned/sanded and toed just right. The Sheldo Brown link is a great reference.

I've got some new Euroxs and used Cane Creeks, road Vs, old school mtb cantis and would be willing to sell if you wanted to try something out or just wanted a cheap fix, just let me know. And good luck! Great when they work but super annoying when you aren't getting them dialed. That said I still run them for cx too.