Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 04:33 PM

OT: Welders

I am looking a purchasing a welder to build some gym equipment for my garage. I have not welded in years so I am not sure what kind of welder I would need.

I would even appreciate brand/model suggestions. I have 220 in my garage so I am ok that way.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Vendor

What process are you proficient in?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:00 PM

I would get a used Lincoln Idealarc. They are pretty indestructable and fairly common in the used industrial market. Not all are 220 single phase, so you have to watch out for that. Spend your money on a nice hood, gloves, jacket, and leads.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:11 PM

For that application, you might consider a MIG welder. Hobart, Lincoln, and Miller all make good units. We looked at buying one at work last year. Lincoln and Miller had nice units in the 1,200 range. You can go 600-800, but the wire is smaller/more breakage in my experience. Check your local CL as there are usually good deals to be had on low hour machines. Don't go off-brand: You'll curse the cheap machine..
Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 PM

I had good luck with a Thermadyne Thermal Arc for my last welder, it was TIG / Stick supply and excellent regulation. Bought it as a package deal with a torch, foot pedal, etc. and was pleased with everything. Before the Thermadyne I had a Miller Syncrowave and it was even better. However, the most of the superiority of the Miller was class related, comparing a sub $1,000 machine to a $2,500 competitor is not exactly reasonable.

What ever you decide if it has been a few years buy a pile of assorted scrap and put in some practice before you build anything that matters. I haven't welded since before wrecking my elbow and assume that I'd be OK with stick electrode but would need to put in a few hours with a TIG torch before it would become presentable.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:10 AM

Thanks you guys. I am not “proficient” at any type of welding Zank. I am actually going to enroll in community college class for a refresher.

It looks like a basic arc or maybe a mig would do most everything I want. What would be the pro’s and con’s of these choices?

EDIT: After doing some reading the a mig (or a Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)) might be the ticket.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 07-26-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Thanks you guys. I am not “proficient” at any type of welding Zank. I am actually going to enroll in community college class for a refresher.

It looks like a basic arc or maybe a mig would do most everything I want. What would be the pro’s and con’s of these choices?

EDIT: After doing some reading the a mig (or a Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)) might be the ticket.
i would take the refresher class and then decide what you want to buy. if you're thinking of buying new, there is probably a good chance that you'll be able to get a deal through the college too.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i would take the refresher class and then decide what you want to buy. if you're thinking of buying new, there is probably a good chance that you'll be able to get a deal through the college too.
Good thinking and thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:13 PM

+1. Taking a welding course through a community college often brings you superb discounts on welding equipment.

I have a Miller Syncrowave. These have been around forever and are pretty much indestructible. Also you can take it into a welding repair shop and get it rebuilt; I bought mine for $700 and paid $400 for a pretty comprehensive rebuild to make it just like new. You just don't want one that's sat in the open back of a truck or been used in a garage or muffler shop (they trash their equipment). There are thousands of them if you search over a few state area. The smaller ones tend to cycle fairly quickly as people move up to bigger models in the Syncrowave line. Same thing happens with other brands, and I assume they can be rebuilt just as easily.

We built a bunch of powerlifting racks for a track program once. In the end, it didn't save any money. Small lots of steel, the laser cutting, the powder coating, and so on all really racked up the price. As a one-off it would be even tougher. The world is full of gym equipment and you can find it at massive discounts. If you haven't checked the threads, there's a ton of advice (both good and bad) in the Bodybuilding.com workout equipment forum.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Not only this, but, while you're in class, ask the instructor for advice on which machine to get. Chances are good he or she will have some good info on what will fit your needs.

Chris
Old 07-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
+1. Taking a welding course through a community college often brings you superb discounts on welding equipment.

I have a Miller Syncrowave. These have been around forever and are pretty much indestructible. Also you can take it into a welding repair shop and get it rebuilt; I bought mine for $700 and paid $400 for a pretty comprehensive rebuild to make it just like new. You just don't want one that's sat in the open back of a truck or been used in a garage or muffler shop (they trash their equipment). There are thousands of them if you search over a few state area. The smaller ones tend to cycle fairly quickly as people move up to bigger models in the Syncrowave line. Same thing happens with other brands, and I assume they can be rebuilt just as easily.

We built a bunch of powerlifting racks for a track program once. In the end, it didn't save any money. Small lots of steel, the laser cutting, the powder coating, and so on all really racked up the price. As a one-off it would be even tougher. The world is full of gym equipment and you can find it at massive discounts. If you haven't checked the threads, there's a ton of advice (both good and bad) in the Bodybuilding.com workout equipment forum.
Thanks so much. It is really not to save money but rather do something with own hands. I am certain the welder will see a lot of other uses. We once had a bed welded up and and elephant could sleep on it. I want to make some other “furniture” to match.

For the gym I want to make some cable machines and some basic racks and such. I will rattle can them with clear and call it good.

Most of the non-commercial stuff you get on CL is junk but you can score some nice pieces.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM

I bought a 110V Millermatic MIG machine to build my fence in the front yard. Quite honestly, MIG welding isn't far removed from using a glue gun. My welds went from butt ugly to almost presentable over the cours of the project, and it's great to be able to pull the thing out when I need to glue a few pieces of steel together. It is supposedly capable of being converted for use on aluminum, but I have been told it's not worth it. The entry level; 220V Miller machine may be just the ticket for you. I can't imagine a need to use stick welding on anything below 3/4" thick, and I 'm certainly not looking at building any ships. The photo shows the fence in front of and behind the pup.

Good luck with your project, and we expect to see some photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0959 (1).jpg (144.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-26-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
I bought a 110V Millermatic MIG machine to build my fence in the front yard. Quite honestly, MIG welding isn't far removed from using a glue gun. My welds went from butt ugly to almost presentable over the cours of the project, and it's great to be able to pull the thing out when I need to glue a few pieces of steel together. It is supposedly capable of being converted for use on aluminum, but I have been told it's not worth it. The entry level; 220V Miller machine may be just the ticket for you. I can't imagine a need to use stick welding on anything below 3/4" thick, and I 'm certainly not looking at building any ships. The photo shows the fence in front of and behind the pup.

Good luck with your project, and we expect to see some photos!

Great and thanks so much. Great work.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Why get a welder that you can't one day use on a bike? I just finished a beginner class at the local CC and learned that OA can do almost everything.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
Why get a welder that you can't one day use on a bike? I just finished a beginner class at the local CC and learned that OA can do almost everything.
I have used OA before and it does work fine. I really don’t want the bulk of it all though.