Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 PM

2017 TDF ok by me

I thought this year's TDF was a good race and Chris deserved to win.

I was really bummed out by the Peter Sagan - Mark Cavendish crash and results. I liked a lot of the stages. The scenery was beautiful as always. I am ok with the Phil and Paul show...my wife likes them which allows me to watch the race every year. I thought today's stage and end of the race was fine. I am ok with Chris Froome winning, and thought he was super classy with his speech, especially thanking the other participants and speaking to the French in their language at the end. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 PM

Pretty much my thoughts as well.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM
aka RAEKWON

it was a good tour in my eyes. people will hate but its the internet so nothing new here.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:33 PM

I always enjoy it. I wish Porte hadnt crashed out. I am impressed with Chris Froome demeanor on the winner's podium. Very Classy.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 PM
Classics Fan

I honestly didn't think Froome would win again, based on the historical fall off of TDF winners around his age. I'd be very surprised if he is able to win next year, especially given how strong some of his competitors (and teammates) looked.

Movistar's idiotic strategy to have Quintana do the Giro-Tour double totally backfired, BMC's trust in Porte blew up in their face, with shrapnel hitting Dan Martin. Barguil looking great, Cannondale having a (surprise) contender, the controversial and circumspect banishment of a non-French rider. This tour really did have a lot of interesting side stories... which is really the entertaining part of the tour, atmo.

But I'm really excited for next year, and props to Froome if he goes onto race the Vuelta.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
I thought this year's TDF was a good race and Chris deserved to win.

I was really bummed out by the Peter Sagan - Mark Cavendish crash and results. I liked a lot of the stages. The scenery was beautiful as always. I am ok with the Phil and Paul show...my wife likes them which allows me to watch the race every year. I thought today's stage and end of the race was fine. I am ok with Chris Froome winning, and thought he was super classy with his speech, especially thanking the other participants and speaking to the French in their language at the end. Thanks.
I'll second that opinion. Good race.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Eight minutes of this years Tour hi lights recapping the entire race. No voice overs, just some very nice imagery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3fkN5xE8wg

William
Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I honestly didn't think Froome would win again, based on the historical fall off of TDF winners around his age. I'd be very surprised if he is able to win next year, especially given how strong some of his competitors (and teammates) looked.

Movistar's idiotic strategy to have Quintana do the Giro-Tour double totally backfired, BMC's trust in Porte blew up in their face, with shrapnel hitting Dan Martin. Barguil looking great, Cannondale having a (surprise) contender, the controversial and circumspect banishment of a non-French rider. This tour really did have a lot of interesting side stories... which is really the entertaining part of the tour, atmo.

But I'm really excited for next year, and props to Froome if he goes onto race the Vuelta.
The Vuelta is always the better race.

And I'm already ready for it.

Mike in AR
Old 07-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Barguil. Could anyone break the US Postal/Sky strategy of lining up a row of super domestiques to kill the race in the mountains? This kid is a throwback to the great riders in the mountains.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Barguil. Could anyone break the US Postal/Sky strategy of lining up a row of super domestiques to kill the race in the mountains? This kid is a throwback to the great riders in the mountains.
Reminiscent of Richard Virenque. A little taller and hopefully without the doping.

Mike in AR
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy412 View Post
The Vuelta is always the better race.

And I'm already ready for it.

Mike in AR
Hardly better. The Tour is so much more important than any other race. The Vuelta might be fun to watch sometimes because it is not the strong teams or the strong riders peaking. Fun yes, but unimportant.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
He was fun to watch, but he only went on his big attacks because the GC contenders did not care about him. Remains to be seen how he does if he is trying to compete for the GC.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Hope teams learn from the stupid mistakes made during this year's tour, specially their super sharp strategies to help sky all the time
Old 07-23-2017, 10:28 PM

I think this year had really weird dynamics - the great stuff was amazing (e.g. Uran and Martin coming out of nowhere to be legit challengers, Kwiatkowski being superman) but the low points...man they were boring.

too many flat run-ins left everyone bored to tears without Sagan/Cav/Kittel (for the last few) and with Greipel not on top form. it's great to see Matthews win but it feels hollow with a diminished field.

two surprise breakaway wins with Calmejane and Roglic but not much else. and then coming from the Giro, which was some of the most fun bike racing I've seen in years, it was maybe asking too much for the Tour to blow everyone away.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:28 PM
Classics Fan

Yeah, not sure if it is not the top riders on top form, less pressure, different time of the year, whatever... but the Vuelta can definitely feature some more exciting and unpredictable racing.

Not sure it is better or worse than the tour or the giro.