Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Snapseed + Samsung Note 8 stylus = LOVE!!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 PM

Last edited by Anarchist; 10-26-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Ansel Adams shifts in his grave.
More accurately, he Tilt-Shifts in his grave ...
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 PM
slower than you

Har har.

He, unfortunately, lived to see the day when art students told him to his face that technique and craft don't matter. But, at least, he was finally pulling in some major bucks for his prints while he was still alive.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM

What I find missing from most (if not all) of the photo's posted here is depth of field — a lot of these photo's look too "flat"
Old 10-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
What I find missing from most (if not all) of the photo's posted here is depth of field — a lot of these photo's look too "flat"
Are you saying you expect landscape photography to have background blur?
Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 AM
ergottWheels

I think he is referring to the composition, not the depth of field seems flat.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post

What does that mean?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
He, unfortunately, lived to see the day when art students told him to his face that technique and craft don't matter.
Technique and craft can be demonstrated in many different ways. There are photographic techniques that Ansel could never have pulled off in a million years...does that make them any less valid as an expression of an art form? No. It doesnt. Ansel Adams was a GREAT landscape photographer and a master of the darkroom, period. As legendary as he might be within these 2 disciplines, he is not the god of photography.

Times change, technology changes, the world around us changes. If it didn't, photography wouldn't be have as important as it is. It is a tool for capturing moments, glimpses of our world never to be repeated. To diminish any one dimension of the craft, or any one persons expression of what that craft means to them, is small minded and foolish. IMO.

Quote:
Well, he specifically said that the photos are missing depth of field...so im gonna go ahead and saying yea, he is referring to the lack of depth/dimension in the photos.
Which is hard to disagree with, and obviously a known weakness of most cameraPHONES due to their optics and tiny sensors.
If you want depth in a cameraPHONE picture, you have to get closer, its that simple.

Manufacturers had to pick a fixed focal length (or 2, if you have an iphone 7+) when building the phone and decided to go with a wide angle.
Reasonably choice given what most people use their cameraPHONES for, but wide angles have weaknesses (distortion, [lack of] depth of field, and lens flare...to name a few).
What they do well - landscape and low light (minimizing motion blur due to hand movement)

The key to getting the most out of your cameraPHONE (or any camera for that matter) is to understand its strengths and weaknesses.
Beyond that, knowing how to post-process an image is crucial, just ask our buddy Ansel tilt-shifting in his grave

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 10-26-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:42 PM
ergottWheels

Literal depth of field is the plane in acceptable focus. That’s something phone cameras have no problem due to their tiny sensor. Everything is in focus.

Figuratively, a lack of depth (flat image) can be described as not having any pop. In my opinion that means there no clear subject or composition directing your eyes around the image. It’s just a capture, nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ergott; 10-26-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Literal depth of field is the plane in acceptable focus. That’s something phone cameras have no problem due to their tiny sensor. Everything is in focus.
But everything is not always in focus...it depends entirely on the distance between the camera and subject.

He literally said - "What I find missing from most (if not all) of the photo's posted here is depth of field."

I think its safe to say he is referring to a lack of isolation of an individual subject [vs a landscape-type scene]...which is something people seem to attribute to a "good photo."
Old 10-26-2017, 01:32 PM

It's an empty critique is what it is.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:49 PM

I took this with a cell phone, older iPhone, from a moving ship. Taken off the coast of Newfoundland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0340.jpg (72.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post

Well, he specifically said that the photos are missing depth of field...so im gonna go ahead and saying yea, he is referring to the lack of depth/dimension in the photos.
Which is hard to disagree with, and obviously a known weakness of most cameraPHONES due to their optics and tiny sensors.
If you want depth in a cameraPHONE picture, you have to get closer, its that simple.

That sounds like a recipe for minimizing depth of field. And yet the complaint said the photos were missing depth of field, not that there was too much of it. I think there seems to be some confusion about the actual meaning of "depth of field" here.

Per the Wikipedia, "In optics, particularly as it relates to film and photography, depth of field (DOF), also called focus range or effective focus range, is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. Although a lens can precisely focus at only one distance at a time, the decrease in sharpness is gradual on each side of the focused distance, so that within the DOF, the unsharpness is imperceptible under normal viewing conditions."

Now if you are saying you can't have a feeling of dimension in a landscape if everything is in sharp focus, then I have to mention Group f/64.

Quite a lot of dimensionality here, I'd say.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:32 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
That sounds like a recipe for minimizing depth of field. And yet the complaint said the photos were missing depth of field, not that there was too much of it. I think there seems to be some confusion about the actual meaning of "depth of field" here.

Per the Wikipedia, "In optics, particularly as it relates to film and photography, depth of field (DOF), also called focus range or effective focus range, is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. Although a lens can precisely focus at only one distance at a time, the decrease in sharpness is gradual on each side of the focused distance, so that within the DOF, the unsharpness is imperceptible under normal viewing conditions."

Now if you are saying you can't have a feeling of dimension in a landscape if everything is in sharp focus, then I have to mention Group f/64.

Quite a lot of dimensionality here, I'd say.
Looks like you took that with an early iPhone with the sepia filter and bumped up contrast.