Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
just asking.
I've definitely made this mistake before... Kind of embarrassing, but easy to fix.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Unless they've recently changed how they do headsets, the lower bearing is proprietary - which is a real pain since they're both not cheap and not always immediately available. I've had a bunch of people including bike shop mechanics claim that other options exist but never actually seen anything turn up.
Interesting, did a bit more poking around. Looks like Spesh uses IS52 on some bikes and a 49mm bearing on others. The 49mm bearing appears to be a 45/45 degree bearing - FSA makes one, Cane Creek appears to offer one at the OE level, and Cervelo uses one as well.

Nonetheless, it sounds like it is probably an issue with the upper headset rather than the lower. I'd measure it and order a replacement upper that's a bit higher tier.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Nonetheless, it sounds like it is probably an issue with the upper headset rather than the lower. I'd measure it and order a replacement upper that's a bit higher tier.
In this case, probably. But over time the lower headsets are so failure prone its maddening. I just had to tighten up some play on my crux headset and I'm pretty sure that means the lower is gonna explode when I remove it this winter.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:59 PM

Wolftooth

Because many have asked me via PM- The size for the Wolftooth zero stack upper for the 2022-2023 Crux is IS41/28.6 7mm (unless you want the taller topcap).
Available in Premium or Performance (difference is that is the Premium comes with a stainless Enduro Bearing). It is the IS model if you are scrolling through their options.
Old 08-14-2023, 05:04 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
In this case, probably. But over time the lower headsets are so failure prone its maddening. I just had to tighten up some play on my crux headset and I'm pretty sure that means the lower is gonna explode when I remove it this winter.
The Lower HS bearing on the new and previous version crux is a sealed system and not the ball and race like what was on the previous Allez

Not this

via:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=236140

Last edited by kppolich; 08-14-2023 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
The Lower HS bearing on the new and previous version crux is a sealed system and not the ball and race like what was on the previous Allez
Yeah, thats not a ball and race, its an exploded sealed bearing - here's how they end up and how they start. Such is the problem with these damn things...

Old 08-14-2023, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Because many have asked me via PM- The size for the Wolftooth zero stack upper for the 2022-2023 Crux is IS41/28.6 7mm (unless you want the taller topcap).
Available in Premium or Performance (difference is that is the Premium comes with a stainless Enduro Bearing). It is the IS model if you are scrolling through their options.
Thanks, John! FWIW I contacted Wolf Tooth and they recommended the IS42. I'm going to give a Cane Creek 40 IS42 a try since Wolf Tooth was sold out of black ones. Will report back.

Am also planning to order a stand-alone Enduro bearing for the bottom (Enduro said it should work): https://cycling.endurobearings.com/p...4545-405495-ss

Also, I was able to temporarily "fix" this by pre-loading the headset by pushing down on the bars after tightening the top cap but before tightening the stem
Old 08-15-2023, 08:32 AM

Is41

On the Wolftooth headset, you could always get the less expensive version and replace the bearing later if needed.
I know the size- Myself and 3 Crux riding buddies all got the same IS41/28.6 7mm and it fits perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proletariandan View Post
Thanks, John! FWIW I contacted Wolf Tooth and they recommended the IS42. I'm going to give a Cane Creek 40 IS42 a try since Wolf Tooth was sold out of black ones. Will report back.

Am also planning to order a stand-alone Enduro bearing for the bottom (Enduro said it should work): https://cycling.endurobearings.com/p...4545-405495-ss

Also, I was able to temporarily "fix" this by pre-loading the headset by pushing down on the bars after tightening the top cap but before tightening the stem
Old 08-15-2023, 11:04 AM

The Crux replacement parts section lists S092500002 as the part number for the replacement upper bearing, with measurements of 41.8 x 30.5 x 8mm. Based on that, I just ordered the Wolf Tooth IS42 upper, can report back on fit when it arrives. It could be that the IS41 just fits 'well enough' to work.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:48 AM

A Cane Creek 40 IS42 replacement upper seems to have fixed the issue - works exactly as every other headset I've had. Best $30 I've spent in a minute. One concern is that there is a ~1mm gap between the cover and the headtube - see picture below. Is this normal?

Photo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SfMTk5wfXVMDKGVz6
Old 08-22-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecycke View Post
The Crux replacement parts section lists S092500002 as the part number for the replacement upper bearing, with measurements of 41.8 x 30.5 x 8mm. Based on that, I just ordered the Wolf Tooth IS42 upper, can report back on fit when it arrives. It could be that the IS41 just fits 'well enough' to work.
Only issue is that Wolf Tooth specifically states that the IS42 doesn't work with Specialized.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...32382897717283

Quote:
Originally Posted by proletariandan View Post
A Cane Creek 40 IS42 replacement upper seems to have fixed the issue - works exactly as every other headset I've had. Best $30 I've spent in a minute. One concern is that there is a ~1mm gap between the cover and the headtube - see picture below. Is this normal?

Photo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SfMTk5wfXVMDKGVz6
Yeah that's pretty normal with Cane Creek 40 top caps, as they're made to fit on many bikes as an aftermarket part, thus provide a bit more clearance to ensure no fitment/frame drag issues. Also the blue rubber seal is more noticeable than others. I had the same thing with a Stigmata and an Upper which came with the Cane Creek headsets
Old 08-23-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Only issue is that Wolf Tooth specifically states that the IS42 doesn't work with Specialized.

They actually told me that the 2022+ Crux is an exception to that, LOL.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah that's pretty normal with Cane Creek 40 top caps, as they're made to fit on many bikes as an aftermarket part, thus provide a bit more clearance to ensure no fitment/frame drag issues. Also the blue rubber seal is more noticeable than others. I had the same thing with a Stigmata and an Upper which came with the Cane Creek headsets
Per the IS42/Specialized thing, they have a Specialized-specific headset upper, but I believe that is for the earlier MTBs.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...rated-standard

And as the poster above found, they say the 2022+ Crux (and I assume the Aethos since it's the same headset) are the exception. I can attest, as I installed the Premium IS42 in my 2023 Crux late last week and have a handful of rides on it and it's perfect. The top cap is a huge improvement over the Specialized one since it has a rubber lip on the underside to keep crud out of the bearing.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:59 PM

February 2024 Update: The headset now seems to be coming loose every time I ride. As far as I can tell, the stem must be slipping. It is a newer EA70 stem, torqued to 5NM on both bolts.

It is nice and quiet after readjusting the pre-load (to 5nm, as specified by S) and torquing the stem bolts but after a couple of big climbs, it starts to make noise, and it just gets louder and louder as the headset gets slightly looser. If I stop and pull/push on the bars, I can feel play.

Specialized says not to use friction paste on the steerer - maybe I should just ignore that? I have Motorex friction paste, which is much less gritty than others like Park that I've used.

Tried replacing the lower bearing with an Enduro but that did not help.

Not sure what else to do here other than to replace the stem. I could try to take to a Specialized shop but the problem will be hard for them to reproduce if they don't take it out and ride it properly.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I had this issue with a bike that I built up, and it was due to the interface of the headset top cap, the fork steerer plug and the top of the stem.

Basically, for whatever reason the inside face of the headset top cap (chris king) when mounted flush on top of an Enve stem didn't really play nice with my specialized steerer plug. Even when torquing it down, it still exhibited a bit of play and went loose over the course of a mild ride. So I added a thin spacer between the headset top cap and the stem and that gives the cap a little room between it's shape and the shape of the stem. In other words, instead of the top cap sitting directly on top of the stem, the top cap is pushing against the spacer which is then pushing against the stem.

It probably won't solve your issue but might be worth a try since it's very easy to install/reverse.
I agree with this recommendation. And use the friction paste.

Greg