Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
I unboxed and saw they removed both wheels and put the rear wheel next to the main triangle with the cassette facing in, and secured it only to the bike with a single loose zip tie to the top tube.
interesting. wonder if the zipties holding the rear wheel broke. that's how road bikes are boxed by pretty much everyone. except with tight zipties, and typically more than one. it's hard to even get the bike into a box without that wheel cinched down by the zipties.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
interesting. wonder if the zipties holding the rear wheel broke. that's how road bikes are boxed by pretty much everyone. except with tight zipties, and typically more than one. it's hard to even get the bike into a box without that wheel cinched down by the zipties.
I looked all through the box and there weren't any broken ties. I'm guessing the packer was in a hurry. Put one on loose to get things aligned, got distracted or was in a rush, and put it in the box thinking they had secured the other points and snugged everything up. I was super pissed at first, but they made it right after some work on my end to figure out the extent of the damage.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:47 PM

Why can't you just check the frame yourself for damage? I mean if its about weather or not the frame is out of alignment or such, why couldent a boxed frame be that as well? Seller could have shipped a damaged frame well packed in a sound box.. One would want to check those for the same type of damages regardless of shipping then i guess?

That said ppl who ship things poorly packed should be hmm told off!

Gl hope the frame is okay in the end.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:01 PM
aka RAEKWON

I bought some wheels on ebay a while ago and the seller got a hube cardboard box, flatten it and put both wheels inside of it and taped the edges. When I got it I for sure thought they were going to be damaged. Nope, they were totally fine and have been great. That said, that was really dumb but they got to me ok so nothing I can say about it.

So, take the frame to a shop to see if its aligned and if it is, all you can say is give him a crappy review for a crappy packing job.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
i had this long ass response written up about actual packing jobs in the bike world, but then....

wait. i'm confused. the frame showed up and it wasn't actually boxed? like, it was sandwiched between 2 layers of ill-fitting cardboard and bubble wrapped?
Exactly
Old 04-27-2017, 06:15 PM

My opinion on this matter has drastically changed.

Who was the courier? Just curious.

I'd be pretty pissed and I'd dispute the shipping charge. Especially if the shipping was communicated to be professional. Then I'd take check the frame over real well. We could walk you through how to check alignment. All you'll need is a rear wheel and a piece of string long enough to wrap about the bike.

Then I'd leave pretty poor feedback. In no circumstance is that acceptable.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I bought some wheels on ebay a while ago and the seller got a hube cardboard box, flatten it and put both wheels inside of it and taped the edges. When I got it I for sure thought they were going to be damaged. Nope, they were totally fine and have been great. That said, that was really dumb but they got to me ok so nothing I can say about it.
I have had basic wheels shipped ot me this way. I too was shocked but there was no issue. Have I missed the part of the thread in which the type of frame and value were stated? Part of me thinks this must have been a low value frame (in the mind of the seller) and packed accordingly. Surely this was not a Pina F8...
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM

Fedex

Quote:
My opinion on this matter has drastically changed.

Who was the courier? Just curious.

I'd be pretty pissed and I'd dispute the shipping charge. Especially if the shipping was communicated to be professional. Then I'd take check the frame over real well. We could walk you through how to check alignment. All you'll need is a rear wheel and a piece of string long enough to wrap about the bike.

Then I'd leave pretty poor feedback. In no circumstance is that acceptable.
It was FEDEX, I can honestly say they have refused some packages in the past that I packed way better. They rejected a set of tires that was shrink wrapped together. Anyway this is likely not adding any value at this time

Ray
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I have had basic wheels shipped ot me this way. I too was shocked but there was no issue. Have I missed the part of the thread in which the type of frame and value were stated? Part of me thinks this must have been a low value frame (in the mind of the seller) and packed accordingly. Surely this was not a Pina F8...
So, think Colnago Dream ...., older frame, but for me its always been a good rider. I got a fair price for frame only, nothing that would be characterized a "amazing purchase", the shipping was a bit off but I agreed to the deal. I understand folks thinking that I should have it checked, but the more I do with this frame, the weaker my case will be.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
the more I do with this frame, the weaker my case will be.
There is no case as far as packaging with ebay/paypal. If your only claim is that the packaging sucks but you have no idea if there is damage then they will rule in favor of the seller. Claims can only be made when you didn't get the item, the item was damaged or the item was not as described. None of those apply to the packaging.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM

^^^ This. You may not like the pack job, but unless you both agreed to some specific packing/shipping criteria that spells out the details the default is only that it must get to you in the advertised condition. The expectation may be higher, but the policy as written in the add is what you are agreeing to at the time of sale.

I agree with what the others have said, you've got zero case without verifiable damage beyond that stated in the original add. Undoing the pack job is not going to work against you. Just do your due diligence. Photograph, document, time stamp, etc. and have a shop verify if you don't feel comfortable making the call on your own.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
^^^ This. You may not like the pack job, but unless you both agreed to some specific packing/shipping criteria that spells out the details the default is only that it must get to you in the advertised condition. The expectation may be higher, but the policy as written in the add is what you are agreeing to at the time of sale.

I agree with what the others have said, you've got zero case without verifiable damage beyond that stated in the original add. Undoing the pack job is not going to work against you. Just do your due diligence. Photograph, document, time stamp, etc. and have a shop verify if you don't feel comfortable making the call on your own.
this. you need to unpack the thing and assess damage. if it's not damaged, then go after the guy for bogus shipping fees. if it is, then process with the dispute as normal, noting in your dispute the terrible condition in which it was shipped to you. I highly doubt eBay will award you the dispute win based on the reply to "is it damaged?" being: "well, I don't know...but probably!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I've had wheels shipped in Wheelbuilder.com that were more or less the same thing. a bit more sophisticated and individually packed, but the same principle.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:24 AM

All this talk and no pics of the pack job?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
All this talk and no pics of the pack job?
Seriously, I keep coming back for pictures...
Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM

You can only make 1 claim. Make it worth it. Agree with above, a poor packing job only matters if the frame is damaged.