Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 AM

I would pick up a used high end carbon frame from the classifieds, buy a group and wheels from U.K. And call it a day. Way more bang for your buck that way. I can't see myself ever buying a new bike especially since a lot of them come with lame parts to keep the cost down.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Bought an F8 almost solely on the looks of it while taking a chance that I could make it fit...

I buy all my bikes that way.

Doesn't everybody?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I can't see myself ever buying a new bike especially since a lot of them come with lame parts to keep the cost down.

Bingo. Every time I think about buying a new bike, even at 40% off online, I do the frame+wheels+parts math and it doesn't add up for me. We here are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the bike-buying public though..

Take the Trek Emonda SLR10 currently on sale for $5999-7999. Even buying a new frameset, I can't get close to spending that much - and if I did, it'd have SR11 and Boras.

Back to the OP though - if you're ordering online, full bike or not, some assembly will be required. With the Kinesis it's a threaded BB, external routing, and the headset is already in. Boxes to street in less than an hour me thinks.

That said, these are toys, go with whatever you want to look at and gets your motor revving.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Back to the OP though - if you're ordering online, full bike or not, some assembly will be required. With the Kinesis it's a threaded BB, external routing, and the headset is already in. Boxes to street in less than an hour me thinks.
Isn't the BB86 press fit?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:35 PM

I'm intrigued by the Allied Alpha. I like off brands and really want to ride one to see if it's a bike I want to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
It used to be a threaded BB, but looks like they moved to press-fit with the BB86.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I'm intrigued by the Allied Alpha. I like off brands and really want to ride one to see if it's a bike I want to own.
Looks nice, $2700 for frameset though. I have a mental threshold of $2K to spend on any bike
Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Bingo. Every time I think about buying a new bike, even at 40% off online, I do the frame+wheels+parts math and it doesn't add up for me. We here are a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the bike-buying public though..

Take the Trek Emonda SLR10 currently on sale for $5999-7999. Even buying a new frameset, I can't get close to spending that much - and if I did, it'd have SR11 and Boras.

That said, these are toys, go with whatever you want to look at and gets your motor revving.

I think this depends on how lucky you are in scoring parts cheap. Bike manufacturer get parts in bulk discount for mega quantities. Doing the same thing you've done parts seem to add up to significantly more than the price I paid for the whole bike. In some cases I get through half the parts on a mtb before it hit the mark on a complete bike purchase.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post

Dang. That stinks - good for Praxis though
Old 04-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
'Dale looks more comfortable. Slender seat stays and roundish smaller diameter seat post normally translate into less bone jarring than mono stay and fat aero post. Are geometries similar and proper to your fit and use-- especially top tube and head tube numbers, along with seat tube angles.

From same shop? That's also a factor to consider.
What he said.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:08 PM

Test ride them. Find out which one you like better. Buy that bike. I say go with an aero bike, but it all depends on the reason you are buying the bike.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:06 PM

Compared the the F8, the GAN RS doesn't have quite as much spring in its step - and the lower-end version with cheaper carbon that you're looking at is likely to feel even more wooden.

Here, I actually reviewed the RS, maybe it'll help a bit: https://abovecategorycycling.com/jou...ng-the-gan-rs/

The mold is NOT the same. The RS has a chintzy compression wedge for as a seatpost binder instead of the two set screws on the back of the seattube. After the review, it slipped every so often. Apply installation paste liberally.

IMO - get the CAAD12. Hard to go wrong - especially at the pricepoint you're at. Avoid cheap carbon that's mostly comprised of epoxy and ground-up boats.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:12 PM

Another vote for CAAD.
Years ago, I think about the time the Prince was top of heap I liked the look. But later, and moreso now, Pinarello looks to me like something that got left in a hot car...no offense meant to those who find them beautiful--it's what makes this world work.
The CAAD is all business, durable, and a platform you can keep or update to your hearts content. Just hard to go wrong.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 PM

First off you need to ride them both and see which one feels better to you, if you have and they seem like a tie, then take the bike that looks the best to you.

I think the Pinarello is by far the best looking, but the Cannondale is the better bike according to reviews. But again ride them to see which one you like then if a tie then decide do you want looks or better handling and slightly less weight.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stien View Post
Does not exist.

H1 fit only for the SLR ($$$).

That being said, I enjoy my H2 ALR.
My bad.