Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 AM

New bike - looking for opinions (update: bike procured - see pg. 4)

So my N=1 experiment started off nicely, but I have been getting the itch for N+1 lately. I am entertaining the idea of a go-fast bike with aggressive geometry. I think I have narrowed it down to these two:

Pinarello Gan 105:

Cannondale CAAD12 105:

Both will fit me fine. The Cannondale is a bit lighter, Pinarello more aero-focused. CAAD12 seems pretty universally well-praised. Can't seem to find too many in-person reviews of the Pinarello online.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by fa63; 05-02-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:43 AM
Category VI

Caad12

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 AM
Lanterne rouge

CAAD12 all the way.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:57 AM

Cannondale. Better the best of its breed than bottom rung from higher end brand. You might want to check out an H1 fit Emonda ALR?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Get the better looking of the two.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 AM

New bike - looking for opinions

I think both look good; almost level top tubes appeal to me; but I would have to give a slight edge to the Pinarello in this department if I had to.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
You might want to check out an H1 fit Emonda ALR?
I rented an ALR last time I was visiting my brother in San Francisco, and wasn't that impressed by it. Plus the frame made this whistling noise when the wind was blowing in a cross direction. Not sure if that was just a coincidence but I thought it was odd.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 AM

'Dale looks more comfortable. Slender seat stays and roundish smaller diameter seat post normally translate into less bone jarring than mono stay and fat aero post. Are geometries similar and proper to your fit and use-- especially top tube and head tube numbers, along with seat tube angles.

From same shop? That's also a factor to consider.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 AM
It An't Me Babe

It looks like when the new Dogma F10 molds come online, the old F8 gets rebadged as a Gan? Then get the Gan if it's last year's F8 under a different name. Heck, get the Pinarello because it's Italian.

The most important thing is fit so run your numbers through the geometry chart to make sure the frame can accommodate your contact point geometry.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
'Dale looks more comfortable. Slender seat stays and roundish smaller diameter seat post normally translate into less bone jarring than mono stay and fat aero post. Are geometries similar and proper to your fit and use-- especially top tube and head tube numbers, along with seat tube angles.

From same shop? That's also a factor to consider.
You are probably right regarding comfort. Also, CAAD12 can fit 28mm tires, Pinarello is limited to 25s.

Geometry is not an issue; either a 58 Cannondale or 57.5 Pinarello will work.

Bike shop is also a non-issue; my fit is essentially dialed in, and I do my own wrenching. In that regard, the Pinarello does have a threaded BB compared to the BB30a abomination on the CAAD12 Guess if I needed warranty help, would be easier to deal locally (I would buy the Cannondale from REI, Pinarello from Competitive Cyclist).

Last edited by fa63; 04-26-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:19 AM
needs adult supervision

As long as both work for your fit, two things might argue for the C-dale. Fatter rubber (practical) and (very subjectively) Pinarello strikes me as more hype-driven while C'Dale feels more hardcore (YMMV).

Ok, a third thing: the CAAD 12 is the 'best' of something while the Pinarello is the mid-tier of something.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
It looks like when the new Dogma F10 molds come online, the old F8 gets rebadged as a Gan? Then get the Gan if it's last year's F8 under a different name. Heck, get the Pinarello because it's Italian.

The most important thing is fit so run your numbers through the geometry chart to make sure the frame can accommodate your contact point geometry.
Supposedly, the Gan uses the same mold as the F8, just with a lower grade carbon (and more of it). So same aero features as the F8, but heavier (which I don't care about).

What keeps me thinking about the Gan are the rave reviews the F8 seems to get (I believe you have one, too, if I recall correctly). A riding buddy has a F8 and he swears by it (although I don't how much of that is due to the +$10K price tag of his Campy EPS/Bora Ultra equipped bike). Unfortunately he is too short for me to swap bikes with.

It makes me wonder whether the Gan is potentially that good. But it does seem like the tire clearance in the rear triangle is not the best, so I wonder if I can run my Hed Belgium Plus wheels with 25mm tires, which make 25s balloon out to 28 or so.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
As long as both work for your fit, two things might argue for the C-dale. Fatter rubber (practical) and (very subjectively) Pinarello strikes me as more hype-driven while C'Dale feels more hardcore (YMMV).

Ok, a third thing: the CAAD 12 is the 'best' of something while the Pinarello is the mid-tier of something.
Good points. And the Pinarello is not even the mid-tier; I think this is the cheapest bike they make But I do like the looks of it, and since it supposedly comes out of the same mold as F8 (which is universally loved), makes me wonder if it is 90% of the bike at 30% of the price
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
Supposedly, the Gan uses the same mold as the F8, just with a lower grade carbon (and more of it). So same aero features as the F8, but heavier (which I don't care about).

What keeps me thinking about the Gan are the rave reviews the F8 seems to get (I believe you have one, too, if I recall correctly). A riding buddy has a F8 and he swears by it (although I don't how much of that is due to the +$10K price tag of his Campy EPS/Bora Ultra equipped bike). Unfortunately he is too short for me to swap bikes with.

It makes me wonder whether the Gan is potentially that good. But it does seem like the tire clearance in the rear triangle is not the best, so I wonder if I can run my Hed Belgium Plus wheels with 25mm tires, which make 25s balloon out to 28 or so.
Get the Gan. Your buddy's bling F8 won't ride any better than a new Gan and 90% of even cycling enthusiasts won't know the difference between an F8 and a Gan anyway. Same mold which means the same beautiful lines on that frame.

Yeah, I have an F8 but I don't think all the mumbo-jumbo about carbon amounts to anything much different than what the Gan is made of.

The Pinarello has style and flowing lines that would make Pininfarina proud. The Caad looks utilitarian. Armani suit versus Brooks Brothers sack suit. I have no problem admitting I bought an F8 almost solely on the looks of it while taking a chance that I could make it fit.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 AM

fuzzalow - Thanks for the picture; I love the look with the 32-spoke wheels (which is what I would use as well).

If I could ask, how is the tire clearance in the rear triangle?