Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM

On some level, we're all renters..

And I'm okay with that.

Do you consider yourself but a caretaker of whatever bike is currently in your stable? Or how do you square the ebb and flow of greater and lesser steeds?

My thought to post this came from an excerpt I browsed at the bookstore this weekend...

Edit: I can see how it reads like a bit of a scam...and misrepresenting condition at re-sale is not in my concept of renting as a caretaker...

Forum Quote du Jour:

"It's just a bike. If you want another and can afford it, buy it. It will be fast, if you pedal it fast." -- Jr59

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM

That kind of reads like a scam. Does this person's friend ultimately misrepresent the clothes as NWT in order to get the highest $ in sale?

To your point, generally I keep my bikes in the best shape I can but they are a tool to be used as fully as I am capable. Sometimes, that means they get beaten up pretty good. If they are still rideable and I am done with them, I'll pass them on, but with full disclosure.

Andy in Houston
Old 04-25-2017, 10:40 AM

Yes I do consider myself a caretaker. Someday, they'll move onto someone else who will use & appreciate it/them.

Problem is, I'm bike & bike parts hoarder and won't be letting go anytime soon. On 1 bike, I'm currently trying to convince myself that the Ultegra 6600 group on it, which looks and performs just splendid, is due for an upgrade. At this time, I'm not winning the argument with myself....

If I suddenly and unexpectedly croak, please assist my wife in getting the collection sorted & sold and/or donated. Those of you who know me know how to get a hold of her.

Paceline Estate Planning, at your service.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:06 AM
Classics Fan

I am just not sure that this makes any sense.

The whole argument behind owning vs. renting is that owners have an incentive to take better care of their possessions because they reap any rewards from selling them in the future.

In the case of the guy that 'rents' the clothes, he keeps them in good condition so that he can sell them for the highest price in the future. This is the definition of being an owner. If he rented them, he'd pay the store for the use of the garments, and then they'd be obligated to take them back at the end of the year. None of the downside risk in a renting arrangement is with the renter of the good. Think of renting an apartment. If all of a sudden that street becomes dangerous and the property value declines, the renter can just move and the landlord is the one whose value is impaired.

In the case of the clothes renter, if the value declines, HE is on the hook. Because, in fact, he is the owner. If he were renting, he would not care about whether the tags were available.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 AM

On some level, we're all renters..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I am just not sure that this makes any sense.

The whole argument behind owning vs. renting is that owners have an incentive to take better care of their possessions because they reap any rewards from selling them in the future.

In the case of the guy that 'rents' the clothes, he keeps them in good condition so that he can sell them for the highest price in the future. This is the definition of being an owner. If he rented them, he'd pay the store for the use of the garments, and then they'd be obligated to take them back at the end of the year. None of the downside risk in a renting arrangement is with the renter of the good. Think of renting an apartment. If all of a sudden that street becomes dangerous and the property value declines, the renter can just move and the landlord is the one whose value is impaired.

In the case of the clothes renter, if the value declines, HE is on the hook. Because, in fact, he is the owner. If he were renting, he would not care about whether the tags were available.

Bit of a semantics issue here - I'm talking "renting" in more existential terms - things come and go, and one day return to the earth or sea - in the meantime, we are their caretakers - and our attachment to them, or willingness to let them come and go from our stables, may be informed by that mindset - I personally feel a duty to treat my bikes with reverence, especially the handmade, knowing they deserve a long life, and that such a life will likely not be confined to my garage - there's financial practicality to this, but also a sense of respect... And the non-attachment makes it easier to try new ones, and let old ones go, when the spirit moves.

Interestingly, I feel the same respect/reverence even when renting in the normative sense - the bike I rented on vacation got a bit of a tune-up while in my hands, and when I stay in an Air BnB, I leave it in as good of condition, or better, than when I walk in the door.

Forum Quote du Jour:

"It's just a bike. If you want another and can afford it, buy it. It will be fast, if you pedal it fast." -- Jr59

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-25-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Clean39T, of course I did not think that the unfavorable interpretation is the one that you were relating to or condoning.

Especially since becoming a parent, I find that I care for of all kinds resources in a much less self-centric manner. I used to be all about me. Not so much anymore. There will be people coming up after me. Do I really want to leave them my mess to deal with? When I was younger, didn't really care. Now, I want to leave things so that I wasn't a burden.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Sounds like the idea you're getting at is the larger transitory nature of all things... bikes, clothes, etc. And the respect each deserve as something of value. This view can also be extended to the land, our bodies, cultural things, other more intangible things...

I don't resell my clothes, sounds a bit much. I like to take care of my bikes though. I like to take care of all my things. You don't have to thing of resell value to take care of something though. And you don't have to sell something for it be returned to from where it came.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM
It An't Me Babe

The chap who views clothes as rental property must be a clothes horse and a dandy. Men's wear doesn't change quite that much from year to year but if he feels good flippin' his garb, more power to him.

IMO, used clothes are in the same league as used bikes - they're not worth much and almost never as much as the current owner wants to sell them for. Lotsa bikes, lotsa clothes, all different sizes and tastes and every seller thinks he's got what amounts to the Birkin bag that everybody's gotta have! Dream on.

The only used market I've experienced that has an overriding obsession with the goods being in perfect condition is the high-end audiophile gear market. So if some guy schmushes a corner on a Wilson speaker that cuts out 2/3rds of his buyers.

It is all part of the cost of livin' and lifestyle. Which means if somebody is obsessed about squeezing every dime from selling goods after they have used them, they are either very frugal, which is a good thing, or living beyond their means, which is its own problem.

Long ago, a coworker and me were talking about house hunting. We were both starting families and scouting towns in the NYC Metro area to buy into. We both laughed when someone chimed in about looking in Greenwich CT and we both simultaneously said "I can afford the house. I can't afford the lifestyle". Man's got to know his limitations.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM

My bikes do not come and go. I buy them, keep them and ride them. Getting ready to head out for a couple of hours now.

I might pay more for most things, but I buy things I like, take care of them and keep them for a long time. I hate buying something I don't end up liking no matter how low the price. Compromising on quality is the biggest mistake, and one I hopefully don't make too often.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2017, 12:15 PM

maybe lloyd's of london can title insurance to bikes, so as to establish provenance. brilliant!

Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 PM

Wut?

This seems like the kind of approach that leads to keeping your couch in one of those plastic wrap things that grandma had.

Life's too short man. Enjoy what you got. Not like you can take it with you. If you're buying things with the eye towards what the next guy down the line is going to do with it, you're not really owning it and appreciating it. That kind of caretaker mentality for most goods just doesn't compute. Use it, let it get a patina and some scars and some stories man. And if it gets ruined at the end, well, it fulfilled its purpose.

Who wants that ugly yellow couch anyways?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:10 PM

A friend of mine now acquaintance used to tell me I don't buy beer I rent it. I guess for him it made sense, it sounds cute. However there's nothing really cute about being an alcoholic.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Wut?

This seems like the kind of approach that leads to keeping your couch in one of those plastic wrap things that grandma had.

Life's too short man. Enjoy what you got. Not like you can take it with you. If you're buying things with the eye towards what the next guy down the line is going to do with it, you're not really owning it and appreciating it. That kind of caretaker mentality for most goods just doesn't compute. Use it, let it get a patina and some scars and some stories man. And if it gets ruined at the end, well, it fulfilled its purpose.

Who wants that ugly yellow couch anyways?

Hilarious - and flashback inducing to my Floridian grandparents house of my youth..

Of course, one can both ride their bike hard AND show it respect - with the side bonus of that care/respect preserving value and usefulness for a future owner, which is a good thing even if that future owner is still you.

Forum Quote du Jour:

Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
However there's nothing really cute about being an alcoholic.

Took me 23 years to learn this - but I'm happy I finally did..

The "Clean" part of "Clean39T" is about where the chain travels, a riff on a line in Krabbe's book, but I guess it applies to how I live now too

Forum Quote du Jour:

Old 04-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Classics Fan

I do agree more with the care taker part. taking care of your stuff is a good habit to have.

As a counter-point, here's Hunter Thompson:
Quote:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”