Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 09:59 PM

...meaning that I can obtain Z2 benefits if I allow more recovery time, or that I've really undercut Z2 benefits (adaptations) by pushing hard into other zones at the end? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
...meaning that I can obtain Z2 benefits if I allow more recovery time, or that I've really undercut Z2 benefits (adaptations) by pushing hard into other zones at the end? Thanks.
Meaning that you should stick to the program. A little bit is OK, but I wouldn't call what you were doing a little bit. If you compensate later in the week, then I suppose it might keep you from going down the slippery slope, but then why do a program at all if you're going to deviate from it?

This is the lure of sweet spot and under intervals. You feel great so you'll just "open it up a little". Don't do it.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
It depends. If your goal is a zone 2 ride to induce specific physiological adaptations, doing a small number of hard efforts at the end, does not negate the zone 2 adaptations. However, if your goal is to recover somewhat from heavier workloads earlier in the week, then doing those efforts will really harm your recovery and might even put you over the edge (although I have never given a 2-4 hr zone 2 ride to 'recover' from anything, I give them a recovery ride).
Novice riders often make the mistake of riding too hard/doing too heavy load on their recovery days. Then they can't go hard enough on their hard days so they end up mediocre all the way. Hard days are for hard and easy for easy. Recovery is not an endurance ride with 30sec-1min Max intervals at the end. Ymmv.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Snipped a lot..........

Novice riders often make the mistake of riding too hard/doing too heavy load on their recovery days. Then they can't go hard enough on their hard days so they end up mediocre all the way. Hard days are for hard and easy for easy. Recovery is not an endurance ride with 30sec-1min Max intervals at the end. Ymmv.
So much this^^^^^^^^.

And to the OP:
Drop the weight lifting during riding season. Pay attention to getting actual rest. A 45 to 60 mile ride is not a rest day for you.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
This is gospel.

I learned this the hard way back in the '80s. I was a 2, training hard all the time. A National team rider was in town off and on for part of the summer. Easy days, I felt fresher after the ride than before. Hard interval days I thought I was going to die, but was afraid I wouldn't and the pain would continue.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the multiple responses. The advice is along the lines of what I was anticipating, but it helps to hear it from others with more experience. I will resist the urge and instead save those harder efforts for my hard days. Bottom line I suppose is that I keep to a clear polarization in my training.

Thanks again.