Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 PM

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...op+Nav-Search=

Just bought MacBook Air and got this great deal from B&H. I've had good luck with Apple and since everyithng else in our household is Apple it made sense. Kids are on iPads at school. iPad mini, iPad, Mac Desktop, iPhones, etc.

PC's are cheaper, and you can't go worng with a brand name HP, Dell, etc.

It's Campagnolo/Apple v. PC/Shimano/SRAM.

--Sheldon Brown
Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 PM

I'm all in on apple ecosystem, the stuff really works seamlessly together... iphone, apple tv, macbook pro, macbook air.

If thats not the case, not sure its worth the extra money. But it is nice hardware, the touchpads on the laptops are way better than most PC products and the screens are fantastic.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Avoid Dell. Their laptops are fine when they work. But if something goes wrong then their after sales support is complete s**t. I won't buy another for as long as I draw breath.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 PM

Avoid toshiba too. My wife has one for her work. I picked it up the other day and broke it. The flex of it and the way I picked it up broke it. Just by picking it up.

It's been in the shop for three weeks.

Love apple stuff.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 PM

I've had my MacBook Pro for ~8 years now.. traveled extensively with it, got me through school... And the only issue was having to replace the DVDR drive (which I did myself with minimal tools). Definitely worth the $$ in my opinion.. and I will be replacing it with a new one when/if it ever quits me. For now, I see no reason.

EDIT: I forgot to add that a few times in school and work I have come across programs (like ArcGIS) that do not run on Mac OS. So there are a few instances where having a Windows based machine would have been handy. My limited understanding is that there is a way to partition the HD and be able to run both OSs (dual boot), to be able to utilize these programs. Never seemed worth my effort. How you plan to use the laptop may help you decide what is the best option.

Last edited by nighthawk; 04-05-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 PM

I have both. I bought my Macbook Air used on CL. You might find a good deal locally. Just get something recent that can handle at least two upgrade cycles.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 PM

The longevity and user experience of a MacBook Air is hard to beat. I am on my laptop for ~30+ hours per week for a variety of tasks, including technical and non technical, and it's relatively hassle free and survives many OS upgrade cycles well. Previously I'd been a longtime and staunch PC user, but have been mostly happy with the transition. Some apps that I like run only on a PC (technical realm), and that can be done via Fusion / Parallels.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:12 PM

i am no expert at computer, but ever since switching to Mac from 2007, I have not had any issue with viruses. When previously using PCs, every once in awhile there would be some kind virus problem happened. Had enough of it, all I want as an end user is trouble free, headache free environment when using my computer.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 AM

I had a mac book

since 2009. no complaints. i took a work from home job after leaving the military last year and wanted an updated laptop as mine was getting slow and locking up at times. I got a dell inspiron 7000 series. I forget the exact model, but can look it up if you need, as it was an amazon purchase and under $800. i've used it over 8 hrs a day for 9 months now. love it. has a good 2GB NVIDIA graphics card so my kids like it too--too much: i got them one for x-mas so they'd leave mine alone.

apple was several hundreds more and no performance advantage
Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 AM

Boy, if I had to buy new I don't know what I would do...I don't like Windows 10, and I no longer like the Apple OS. Under the hood, both are fine, but I hate the aesthetics of both--probably a little more hate for Windows 10.

On price/value if you are not tied to the Apple eco-system, I think the Windows laptops are better value.

We have had stellar service from my wife's Lenovo Yoga 13 (first gen). Agree about the Thinkpad T series as well--slightly clunky aesthetics, but they have always been durable, personally (we've had two generations of matched ones) and when I was an IT guy. My current one is an Lenovo X series (220) that is a little heavier than the X-1 series that does not get much use but it still has a great keyboard.

She's currently eying a Surface 4--I'm staying neutral on that one.

Last edited by paredown; 04-06-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM

Timely thread for me as I have been trying to make the same decision. I've never used a mac but we are a apple family for everything else. I'm just struggling with the price of mac book pro compared similarly equipped windows machines.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:28 AM

As far as user-friendliness is concerned, I think you'll find that people are most comfortable with what they know. Personally, I found Windows 10 to be more intuitive than MacOS (El Capitan, Sierra), which seems to me to be outdated and clunky. However, my time on Windows:MacOs is probably 10:1.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM

I have been using Macs for 15 years, way before they became "cool". In addition to their superior quality, their resale value is also much better than any Windows pc out there. I work in IT and I see the difference everyday.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
apple was several hundreds more and no performance advantage
That is very true.

I used to have a Macbook pro and was very pleased for several years (5 years day in and day out ABUSE).

When time came to switch, I got a Dell inspiron 7000 13 inch 2-in-1, mainly because I got tired of having to go to school to use PC specific software but also didn't want to pay the several hunders more for an Apple.
The Dell was just a smudge over 700 (usd) and it's great. Pretty much top of the line and feels just as durable as my old computer. Several years ago i got a MBPRO because they were basically the only Ultrabook out there but now the competition is really good.

My advice is know what you need and shop accordingly.

As for the comments on Dell Customer Service, Dell was really helpful when I spilled water on my girlfriend's computer and provided really great feedback as to what i should do. Ended up not needing any of it because it turned out fine, so i can't speak to sending it in etc, but really liked their overall CS.

Last edited by TunaAndBikes; 04-06-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:14 PM

I'd get a Dell latitude 7470-7570, or a thinkpad T series. The current crop of apples are less than inspiring,