Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaul View Post
2013 Crosstrek and used my extended warranty about 3 times. Twice for front axel,.
I knew Subies were good in snow but I didn't know they could figure skate.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

As an aside and considering the amount of electronic gizmos in today's cars. Son has a new 2017 Honda Civic LX...has 'car-net' via touch screen, that also controls radio, heater. Well it went to 'green screen of death'. Dealer scrambling to find a replacement but if not under some sort of warranty, $ would approach $ of extended warranty, considering the $ for that part and labor $ to install.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As an aside and considering the amount of electronic gizmos in today's cars. Son has a new 2017 Honda Civic LX...has 'car-net' via touch screen, that also controls radio, heater. Well it went to 'green screen of death'. Dealer scrambling to find a replacement but if not under some sort of warranty, $ would approach $ of extended warranty, considering the $ for that part and labor $ to install.
I may not be alone in wishing we could still buy new cars that have 5 controls for heat/AC. Temperature knob or lever, fan speed knob, air distribution lever or knob, rear window defroster button, and on/off button for A/C compressor. I could always get what I wanted without taking my eyes off the road and there were no sensors to fail. Let's not get started on huge key fobs that weigh down my pants pockets and let me start my car by pushing a button because it also requires the correct combination of button pushes on the door handle to open 1,2, or 4 doors. I was just fine with a simple metal key (security chips in them were ok) that opened the door, turned on the ignition and let me start the car with a twist of the key. What's better about having a separate start/stop button? I hate to think what a replacement fob will cost if an original is lost or damaged. I suppose at some time the batteries will die and they may not be replaceable.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Extended warranties are statistically only a good deal for the vendor - whether it's for cars or anything else. They do clearly bail out consumers occasionally, but for the most part I think they're a waste of money.
One exception I've found is iPhones.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:57 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
One exception I've found is iPhones.
Really? I've had iPhones (since 3) for now over 10 years and never had issues, other than small issues that cropped up which usually revealed itself in the first few weeks.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Really? I've had iPhones (since 3) for now over 10 years and never had issues, other than small issues that cropped up which usually revealed itself in the first few weeks.
We've had VERY different experiences in that case...every phone I've had (Since 4) has required warranty service. Some my fault, some defect. I'd guess I've probably broken even all things considered...most of the issues haven't been that big/pricey.

Broken screens
Charge ports that go bad
Home buttons stop working

etc...

The ipods before that were even worse...those CONSTANTLY went bad. The hard drive memories.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I may not be alone in wishing we could still buy new cars that have 5 controls for heat/AC. Temperature knob or lever, fan speed knob, air distribution lever or knob, rear window defroster button, and on/off button for A/C compressor. I could always get what I wanted without taking my eyes off the road and there were no sensors to fail. Let's not get started on huge key fobs that weigh down my pants pockets and let me start my car by pushing a button because it also requires the correct combination of button pushes on the door handle to open 1,2, or 4 doors. I was just fine with a simple metal key (security chips in them were ok) that opened the door, turned on the ignition and let me start the car with a twist of the key. What's better about having a separate start/stop button? I hate to think what a replacement fob will cost if an original is lost or damaged. I suppose at some time the batteries will die and they may not be replaceable.
The proximity fob for my VW is a bit over $600 to replace if you lose or break it but does have user replaceable batteries. It is so big though that I don't attach my other keys to it so it doesn't make any noise and have come close to sending it through the wash because I left it in my pocket... Thankfully no baths yet.

For comparison. the touch screen head unit in my car - which like OP's sons Civic is the nerve center of the whole car goes for $900 from online suppliers - obviously doesn't include shipping or installation and if memory serves, you need a dealer to activate it. Even when new they are somewhat prone to glitching/locking up. The A3 I had fried 2 head units and the computer for the HVAC system (no defrosters in a Wisconsin winter - getting to the dealer that day with my head out the window and ski goggles on was interesting...) all in the first 3 years of ownership. Didn't even bother with an extended warranty with that one, just sold it when the factory warranty wore out - the inconvenience was bad enough.

I've never had a "fob" car but I like the convenience. Lots to go wrong though, sensors everywhere. The pushbutton start is gimmicky and it can get confused if you stall the car and try to restart too fast. Makes good entertainment when this happens in the middle of an intersection. My biggest gripe is the electronic E-brake. Total waste of money and weight and you can't apply or release it without the ignition on. Doesn't sound like a big deal until a battery dies and you need to roll the car out of a space or onto a tow or something but cant release the brake. I had a situation where I got parked in - couldn't get the drivers side door open and my legs are too long to make the turn crawling over from the passenger side. Though ok no problem, put in neutral, drop the brake and I'll roll it out. This is when I learned that to disengage the brake, the ignition has to be on, and your foot on the brake pedal. Half climbed over the center console to get one foot on the brake (think sitting on the center console with one leg in each foot well, push ignition switch and brake release between legs, reverse contortionist process to get out of car, put it in neutral, and push it out of the spot so I can open the driver door. If the electrical system gets totally knackered or the brake seizes, I think the only way to get the car rolling is to disassemble the electric motor. Some things are better left analog.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I've got exactly that. In my late model F150 XLT. Deliberately avoided higher end models. You can even get an XL with manual roll up windows! Plus vinyl floor and manual adjust side mirrors.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:53 AM

So next week I'm getting my engine replaced for the SECOND time. Still burning oil. And a friend sent me this. Just for you awareness.

http://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/buy...ubaru-impreza/
Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
So next week I'm getting my engine replaced for the SECOND time. Still burning oil. And a friend sent me this. Just for you awareness.

http://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/buy...ubaru-impreza/
My 2010 Forester just lost its engine on a long road trip back from the Rockies to the east coast. 95,000 miles, changed the oil before traveling, my bad I didn't check it, but, I haven't checked oil in years. One assumes certain basic reliability factors in modern cars. Stupid me. 6000 dollars. Yup, 6000 bucks. Now I'm stuck with this car for at least a few years because I can't justify selling or trading it after that financial hit. I've been a Subaru driver for over twenty years, but, as you can imagine, maybe not in the future.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
My 2010 Forester just lost its engine on a long road trip back from the Rockies to the east coast. 95,000 miles, changed the oil before traveling, my bad I didn't check it, but, I haven't checked oil in years. One assumes certain basic reliability factors in modern cars. Stupid me. 6000 dollars. Yup, 6000 bucks. Now I'm stuck with this car for at least a few years because I can't justify selling or trading it after that financial hit. I've been a Subaru driver for over twenty years, but, as you can imagine, maybe not in the future.
what model year car was this?

there are very few cars i would put a new $6k engine into.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Burning oil... my Passat been doing that for 180k.. now has 260k

I just check and add often
Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Oil consumption is becoming common across manufacturers as they move to low displacement high compression turbo engines for better fuel economy with good performance.

Its hard (read: expensive) to build these kinds of motors to tolerances that effectively eliminate oil seepage through rings and turbos. VAG has has been notorious for this across the board at least as far back as the old 1.8T with leaky turbo seals, maybe longer. The folks with the twin turbo BMW engines are seeing similar problems. I'd never buy tone of those turbo BMWs second hand without a comprehensive powertrain warranty. It's the nature of the consumer demand for power, price, and efficiency. They take some babysitting to get all 3.

Always have 2 quarts in your trunk and get in the habit of checking every other fill up.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 AM

I've said it before. Google Subaru class action lawsuit over oil burning. They lost the suit and for those who paid for a new engine, may owe you money!
Old 05-21-2017, 04:10 PM

I feel like I'm living on borrowed time and kind of embarrassed I have never checked my oil between changes! 2011 outback - 137k, 2007 outback - 218k and the 3rd one in my driveway, 2002 Impreza - 309k. Oil changed roughly every 5k on all, nothing but routine maintenance, even went 95k on the 2011 before needing brakes!