Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 AM

Bibshort reccomendations

I've been wear Sportful bibs for a while now and they have been pretty good for rides up to 3 hours or so. After that nothing but pain. they seem to bunch up and cause chaffing. Looking for something for up to 5+ hour rides. Any suggestions, price range around $200.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 AM

I've had good luck with Assos
https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/m...ularleg-black/

Desoto (made in USA)
https://www.desotosport.com/collecti...-14mm-ceramico

and Sugoi
http://us-store.sugoi.com/collection...-pro-bib-short
Old 08-21-2016, 11:26 AM

i like Craft Tour bib shorts; 60 euros shipped from italy. They run a bit on the small side, but nothing as ridiculously small as Sportful shorts

not sure which Sportful bibs you have, but the Sportful Giro shorts would otherwise work quite well for me if it were not for the small sizing
Old 08-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Lately I've really liked Gore 3.0 bibs. I bought 3 pairs last year and another 2 pairs this year. (Didn't want the style to change before I could get a couple more). They don't run as small as the Craft. I had Craft in Medium and they were fine in the waist but tight thru the hips/butt.

I've not done any 4-hour+ rides this year, but the Gores are just fine for at least 3 1/2. The pads are EIT closed cell and are not too diaper-ish.

The good news is, they are/were recently on sale at Nash-bra for ~$60.00 shipped each. That's a lil less than you budgeted, but for the money, I'd say they are worth a look. I purchased mine thru Amazon. Not many left now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike in AR
Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 AM

I wear Rapha Classic and Lightweight bibshorts and love them both. All day comfort. They are currently on sale for $170
Old 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Three of the best, and I own all three. Highly recommended - any of these three.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread since I was looking for advice on good--and not too expensive-- bib shorts. I'd don't normally shill PSAs for closeouts but I took a chance on some Skins bib shorts through BikeWagon on Ebay last week and I'm really happy with them, especially for 65 bucks. They're compression shorts, which I could care less about but they feel great holding everything in place ` and the thin material (though feels durable at typical wear points) will work well in hot weather. Chamois is thin and wide- works for me, felt good on a couple of 3-4 hr rides over the weekend. Caveat- I've never owned top quality bibs- Assos Rapha etc so maybe I don't know from anything, but these are better than anything in my box now (Hincapie, Voler, Capo, Castelli). Pay attention to the size chart, you likely want a size larger than you usually wear.

Last edited by zennmotion; 04-12-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:06 PM

Pearl Izumi Elite-In-Cool, have just been discontinued and you can get them for about $62 (Competitive Cyclist). They have a new model for the long hauls called, the Elite Escape. CC has them too, but they are expensive at $120. The DeSotos mentioned above are also very good, but also expensive.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:09 PM

I got a verge?? brand or something like that from a forumite at the last swap meet and the thing just rocks I should have gotten a second one :/.

I got a set of USA team like bib shorts for my kids at ebay, skins brand, the quality of the lycra was awesome, actually are all white and then printed out, even some of the panels are so sharp in color and printing that look like those panels were made of leather, im just impressed, even the stretch bands around the tights are printed sharply, im always in a more than tight budget and this things are just awesome because I paid like 7 bucks for them because were XS.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:14 AM

Rapha brevet shorts. I got mine during the winter sale for 115 EUR

I would not recommend the core shorts as I had a pair fall apart and Rapha's response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk23 View Post
I've been wear Sportful bibs for a while now and they have been pretty good for rides up to 3 hours or so. After that nothing but pain. they seem to bunch up and cause chaffing. Looking for something for up to 5+ hour rides. Any suggestions, price range around $200.
http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/cl...roduct/BSS02XX

Best bibs I have ever owned..
Old 04-13-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The new version specifically?
Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Dido....the only shorts that I now buy. I have done a few 150 mile days and my butt feels tired but doesn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 AM

I can’t wait to got to the Rapha Store that just opened in Seattle and look at some stuff and hopefully try it on.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 AM

Assos S7 Equipe.