Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM

There's a very nice Spanish style looking apartment complex directly across the street from me. 2 bedroom, wood flooring and huge Spanish style windows... The "For Rent" sign has been up for a month or longer now. The rent is $1400 I last recall from calling the number. It's being used for a movie, but it looks like they wrapped up filming. If you're looking for a house in South Pasadena, then good luck. Most of the Housing values around here are above 1mil easily. I mean, these streets are lined with bungalow craftsman homes... If you're looking for an apartment, they won't be advertised of westsiderentals. These apartment owners are elderly and simply put signs on the grass.. I lived upstairs in the same unit and it was $1180/mo. Moving downstairs was a $120/mo increase in rent. You have to know the layout of the streets to find the cheap rental places. My buddy from Teamdream also moved to the city because of the cheap rent.

South Pasadena is regarded as one of the cities with the best schools. Pasadena public school sucked when I was younger, but they've all changed to program affiliated schools now. You will not find an apartment of my size and space for $1300 in Silverlake or any of those kinds of places. I live 4 blocks south of Garfield park, seriously one of the best parks in the summer.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:39 PM

^Fun weather facts for the OP:

Santa Monica average high temperature in Aug: 71
Los Angeles average high temperature in Aug: 85
Woodland Hills average high temperature in Aug: 96

Woodland Hills had a record high of 119 in 2006. There are days when it's the hottest place on the planet. What keeps Santa Monica so cool (the inversion layer) makes Woodland Hills an oven as 2 mountain ranges block ocean breezes and trap hot air.

Blame the mountains that ring Woodland Hills' south and west sides for the toaster-oven effect. They keep cool ocean air out and trap the hot urban air in to make the bedroom community of 10,129 homes routinely 15 degrees hotter than downtown Los Angeles.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul...l/me-hottest26

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=USCA1261

Interestingly enough those temperatures and Woodland Hills' distance from DTLA (30 miles) have never depressed property values or kept away development (Warner Center). Conversely, 30 miles east of Downtown in LA's other Valley, you won't find the same, um, High Culture (Pomona).

Last edited by beeatnik; 12-30-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:46 PM

Don't forget Caltrans owns 500 properties in South Pas - Rents be weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
There's a very nice Spanish style looking apartment complex directly across the street from me. 2 bedroom, wood flooring and huge Spanish style windows... The "For Rent" sign has been up for a month or longer now. The rent is $1400 I last recall from calling the number. It's being used for a movie, but it looks like they wrapped up filming. If you're looking for a house in South Pasadena, then good luck. Most of the Housing values around here are above 1mil easily. I mean, these streets are lined with bungalow craftsman homes... If you're looking for an apartment, they won't be advertised of westsiderentals. These apartment owners are elderly and simply put signs on the grass.. I lived upstairs in the same unit and it was $1180/mo. Moving downstairs was a $120/mo increase in rent. You have to know the layout of the streets to find the cheap rental places. My buddy from Teamdream also moved to the city because of the cheap rent.

South Pasadena is regarded as one of the cities with the best schools. Pasadena public school sucked when I was younger, but they've all changed to program affiliated schools now. You will not find an apartment of my size and space for $1300 in Silverlake or any of those kinds of places. I live 4 blocks south of Garfield park, seriously one of the best parks in the summer.

3 bedroom stuccoed craftsman on Fremont (major traffic artery during rush hour) across from South Pas High, $3200/month lease

2 bedroom stuccoed craftsman with vinyl windows on Monterey Road (major traffic artery during rush hour), $2800/month lease

1 bedroom 60s dingbat-like no character apartment near the Gold Line, $1600/month lease

Funny story, last year a couple of homeless looking characters waved me down as I was heading to the World Famous Rose Bowl Ride. They asked me a bunch of questions about my street. I was convinced they were Strava bike thieves. Later that evening, I embarked on some forensics. Turns out one of the shady characters is a bldg owner who has never done his own property management. His recently deceased wife collected their rents. After many years, an elderly woman moved out of one of his 2 bedroom units and he had no idea what fair market was for South Pas. Out of curiosity I toured the apartment. Crappy carpets, crappy cabinets, crappy bathrooms. Oh, the landlord raised the rent from $800 to $1800 for that 2 bedroom. Place rented in less than 24 hours.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Yeah.... Living on Fremont and Monterey.. Possibly the 2 most expensive streets for apartments littered among houses in the 1-4 million dollar prices.

So.Pas has lots of areas on the back streets so to say that are dirt cheap. My friend lived on the street north of Garfield Park and paid $1100/mo. It's next to the 110 freeway. Again looking on CL or WSR won't equate to finding a cheap spot. You have to know the city and the back streets where apartment complexes are hidden. There are a number of them north of trader joe's where riders of the Montrose ride park their cars. That area is full of off the beaten path apartments that are stupid cheap, compared to $3000/mo in Silverlake.

I don't think Culver City is the prime area to live for cycling. Getting out of Culver City tosses you right on Venice or whatever huge mass car lined street is over that way. I couldn't imagine looking for a decent long climb, and not worrying about going through 100 lights to get to the climb. The closest climbing vicinity would be the SM Mountains. You'd have to wiggle through Venice traffic to get there, which is a pain in itself. You can take the Marina bike path, but it ends at the base Venice.

I can get to the base of Baldy in 18mi of residential (Arcadia, Monrovia, Glendora). Easy riding and nothing more than stop signs in most cases. The base of the 2 is nothing more than a journey through the Arroyo, Rose Bowl and 1-2 streets through La Canada. Mostly residential and stop signs. The only ride this way where I'm tossed into lots of car traffic, is Big T and Little T. I have to ride over Foothill to get to those climbs, and Foothill now has a bike lane all the way to either of those climbs..

Velo Pasadena is this way. I've been walking in and out of that bike shop since high school when it was a tiny shop on a corner by Little Caesars Pizza my sisters managed in high school.

Actually OP, Don't come to LA. There's a hash tag thingy that says LASUCKSFORCYCLING. haha
Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 PM
It An't Me Babe

I am enjoying the banter, the bravado and the neighborhood pride all suffused throughout this conversation. This forum is something else.

As a lifelong New Yorker, I never got Southern California. Woody Allen's quote about LA as "a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light" is my stereotype.

I don't think I could handle LA traffic - I'd only get a taste of it from travelling the LIE or enjoying the GWB (but not during a Christie-induced crawl) which to Angelinos, is nothing. I dunno how you guys/gals do it. I have nothing to add here other than I like the expanse to my horizon in knowing how you live.

Without dragging San Francisco into the scrum, I think Manhattan prices are still more expensive than $3200/month compared against some of the prime areas in LA quoted here to rent. Some of the more normal LA prices are closer to rental prices in Queens and da'Bronx, fugeddabout parts of gentrified Brooklyn. Things are expensive it feels like, EVERYWHERE.

Hey, the great part about living in a great city is that everyone else would like to live there too. Somethings gotta give.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:46 PM

glad I read to the end of this thread. After seeing those south pasadena rent numbers get thrown around a couple pages ago I felt like someone shot my dog. I'm payin 1600 for a 2br duplex in a nice area of burbank. but 850? yea, I'll move. I have a coworker who moved from Idaho and lives near pcc, and she's plunking down 1700 for a 1br with a loft
Old 12-30-2015, 03:53 PM

born and raised in L.A, and after visiting nyc this summer, there is no way I could EVER live there. I felt so claustrophobic traveling around the city (like no matter where I went I was stuck on hollywood blvd or on the venice boardwalk). I'd rather breathe smog than someone's second hand air.

different strokes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I am enjoying the banter, the bravado and the neighborhood pride all suffused throughout this conversation. This forum is something else.

As a lifelong New Yorker, I never got Southern California. Woody Allen's quote about LA as "a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light" is my stereotype.

I don't think I could handle LA traffic - I'd only get a taste of it from travelling the LIE or enjoying the GWB (but not during a Christie-induced crawl) which to Angelinos, is nothing. I dunno how you guys/gals do it. I have nothing to add here other than I like the expanse to my horizon in knowing how you live.

Without dragging San Francisco into the scrum, I think Manhattan prices are still more expensive than $3200/month compared against some of the prime areas in LA quoted here to rent. Some of the more normal LA prices are closer to rental prices in Queens and da'Bronx, fugeddabout parts of gentrified Brooklyn. Things are expensive it feels like, EVERYWHERE.

Hey, the great part about living in a great city is that everyone else would like to live there too. Somethings gotta give.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:13 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.e View Post
born and raised in L.A, and after visiting nyc this summer, there is no way I could EVER live there. I felt so claustrophobic traveling around the city (like no matter where I went I was stuck on hollywood blvd or on the venice boardwalk). I'd rather breathe smog than someone's second hand air.

different strokes!
Ha! In some parts of town, at the height of tourist season, all very true! Except for Canal Street where there is no off-season!

Y'Know what? - at the end of the day we live where we wanna live and it is even better if & when we are comfortable in our own skin doin' it. You in LA, me in NYC.

"We'll always have Paceline".
Old 12-30-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
Yeah.... Living on Fremont and Monterey.. Possibly the 2 most expensive streets for apartments littered among houses in the 1-4 million dollar prices.

So.Pas has lots of areas on the back streets so to say that are dirt cheap. My friend lived on the street north of Garfield Park and paid $1100/mo. It's next to the 110 freeway. Again looking on CL or WSR won't equate to finding a cheap spot. You have to know the city and the back streets where apartment complexes are hidden. There are a number of them north of trader joe's where riders of the Montrose ride park their cars. That area is full of off the beaten path apartments that are stupid cheap, compared to $3000/mo in Silverlake.

I don't think Culver City is the prime area to live for cycling. Getting out of Culver City tosses you right on Venice or whatever huge mass car lined street is over that way. I couldn't imagine looking for a decent long climb, and not worrying about going through 100 lights to get to the climb. The closest climbing vicinity would be the SM Mountains. You'd have to wiggle through Venice traffic to get there, which is a pain in itself. You can take the Marina bike path, but it ends at the base Venice.

I can get to the base of Baldy in 18mi of residential (Arcadia, Monrovia, Glendora). Easy riding and nothing more than stop signs in most cases. The base of the 2 is nothing more than a journey through the Arroyo, Rose Bowl and 1-2 streets through La Canada. Mostly residential and stop signs. The only ride this way where I'm tossed into lots of car traffic, is Big T and Little T. I have to ride over Foothill to get to those climbs, and Foothill now has a bike lane all the way to either of those climbs..

Velo Pasadena is this way. I've been walking in and out of that bike shop since high school when it was a tiny shop on a corner by Little Caesars Pizza my sisters managed in high school.

Actually OP, Don't come to LA. There's a hash tag thingy that says LASUCKSFORCYCLING. haha
After I move and get settled in, I'd love to meet you in Culver City and show you how wrong you are. I can think of 3 different great rides from there where there is little traffic and beautiful mountains, canyons and beaches.

Btw, we ended up moving to Marina Del Rey, not Culver City. The 2 reason I think it would be a great place for the OP is the Expo line takes him right into the heart of DTLA from downtown Culver City and yes, there is great riding all year, very little smog and temperate climates, all from his front door.

I'd hate to not ride for 2-3 months living in the San Gabriel valley due to heat and smog. It's rarely like that on the West Side.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post

All relative. A few years back a building in Santa Monica on Ocean Blvd broke the record for highest apartment rent in the US. I don't recall the exact amount but it was something like 1500sq ft for $20,000/month. And we're talking straight rentals here not private homes/condos for lease.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:43 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
All relative. A few years back a building in Santa Monica on Ocean Blvd broke the record for highest apartment rent in the US. I don't recall the exact amount but it was something like 1500sq ft for $20,000/month. And we're talking straight rentals here not private homes/condos for lease.
That's chump change in NYC:

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...ent_in_nyc.php

Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 PM

Culver City Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
After I move and get settled in, I'd love to meet you in Culver City and show you how wrong you are. I can think of 3 different great rides from there where there is little traffic and beautiful mountains, canyons and beaches.

Btw, we ended up moving to Marina Del Rey, not Culver City. The 2 reason I think it would be a great place for the OP is the Expo line takes him right into the heart of DTLA from downtown Culver City and yes, there is great riding all year, very little smog and temperate climates, all from his front door.

I'd hate to not ride for 2-3 months living in the San Gabriel valley due to heat and smog. It's rarely like that on the West Side.
Just for giggles ... can you share the abbreviated version of those 3 rides starting in Culver City? Please include an estimate of miles & time. Are these typically done solo, small group or pack?

Who's not riding for 2-3 months in the SGV due to heat and smog?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy man View Post
Just for giggles ... can you share the abbreviated version of those 3 rides starting in Culver City? Please include an estimate of miles & time. Are these typically done solo, small group or pack?

Who's not riding for 2-3 months in the SGV due to heat and smog?
I guess I'm spoiled, but I hate riding when it gets close to 90* or above.That happens often for many months in the valleys. And, growing up in the SFV, I hate smog!

One ride:

Culver City through Beverlywood, Beverly Hills, up Coldwater, through Franklin Canyon Park to Mulholland ( west ) to Sepulveda ( south ) through the VA down San Vicente to the beach. Ocean Blvd through Santa Monica to Main St in Venice to the Marina to Ballona and back to Culver City.

You can add Mandeville, Amalfi, whatever if you want to add more climbing-miles. They are both very close off this route.

Add more beach by heading south on the bike path towards the South Bay. Add beautiful bikini clad women playing volleyball as well. Keep going and you are in PV. More hills, beautiful views and amazing homes.

The short ride gives you a bit of everything. Hills, canyons, beaches, beautiful homes, quiet suburbs and bike paths. I pretty much ride alone. This would be about a 35 mile ride with maybe 1500' of climbing. Add the others and...

Just one of many rides I do.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post

Yikes!

But I think the New York apartments are co-ops or condos whereas the Santa Monica bldg was strictly rental.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:38 PM

I've enjoyed the back-and-forth. I lived in Claremont, the farthest NE city in LA County, from '95-97. The smog and traffic were both worse than I cared for, but you were right at the base of the Mount Baldy climb and some reasonably good fire roads as well. And I had a 18-minute commute by bike to work. I just had to share a house with three other guys...

But anyone's welcome to come up to Los Olivos and ride here!
(Seriously. I moved here at the end of the summer and got immediately wrapped up in work teaching. I need to get out more.)