Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 01:22 AM
il Curmudgeoni

"You only truly own what you can carry at a dead run." - Unknown
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Took me 23 years to learn this - but I'm happy I finally did..

The "Clean" part of "Clean39T" is about where the chain travels, a riff on a line in Krabbe's book, but I guess it applies to how I live now too

Forum Quote du Jour:

"It's just a bike. If you want another and can afford it, buy it. It will be fast, if you pedal it fast." -- Jr59
Congrats and one day at a time as they say. I like your handle, meaningful.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 PM

I will say I tend to equate vehicle ownership, specifically cars and trucks much like renting. Whether or not one buys a car outright or leases it or makes payments toward ownership. I always buy mine used and outright meaning no payments. So I divide the total cost of purchase price, repairs and maintenance plus title fee and sales tax by months owned. All my vehicles tend to be sheet boxes so I usually get around fives years of ownership at a cost of about two hundred bucks a month renting that is.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:32 PM

All of these things of matter, all the energies they implore all as old as the universe. What is owning? Or using? Or care taking? Or not ing.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Renters take better care of stuff than owners? Buy a rental car. Be a landlord. This idea will make even less sense.
LOL...so very true. The concept of vested interest matters...a lot.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 PM

Renting? nah, I have a bike I bought new in 1984, have no desire to sell to someone else, so that bike is way beyond renting, with over 150,000 miles it I own that sucker, just as I own all my other bikes.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
LOL...so very true. The concept of vested interest matters...a lot.
Amen. There's a big shift towards the rental vs owning construct....it's a generational thing, but that's all great if you a.) plan ahead and save or b.) are completely ok with an unplanned, unknown future with zero expectations of maintaining your lifestyle. Most people don't do a.) and are ok with b.) until they're not, then all of a sudden it's someone else's fault.

On a deeper plane I agree that we're all renters of everything.....we only own the things we have as much as our societal rules allow it. It's all just matter in different forms.....fancy clothes money, people....we're all just subatomic matter arranged in different forms. In a cosmic sense, if we're renting.....from whom are we renting?

I just prefer to subscribe to the mantra of: do what you love, do no harm.

If that means renting, buying, or neither then so be it.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
On a deeper plane I agree that we're all renters of everything.....we only own the things we have as much as our societal rules allow it. It's all just matter in different forms.....fancy clothes money, people....we're all just subatomic matter arranged in different forms. In a cosmic sense, if we're renting.....from whom are we renting?

I just prefer to subscribe to the mantra of: do what you love, do no harm.

If that means renting, buying, or neither then so be it.

Cheers to that - just threw out some food for thought to see how folks related to their "things" - has been fun to see the responses
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 AM

I relate things that if I don't owe on it it's owned then. I own my cars and my house and a few rentals, the only "rent" thing with the house and rentals is the taxes due on it every 6 months. I do have another rental property that is financed, so I guess one could say I'm renting from the bank, but unlike renting where you never own it, I will eventually own it except for the taxes, I can't own the taxes.

I guess philosophically one could say everything we own is rented from God since we can't take what we own to heaven after we die.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:13 PM
It An't Me Babe

Whatever happen to the saying "he who dies with the most toys, wins"?

Kind of a repugnant philosophy to espouse, utterly devoid of taste and nuance. Reminds me of somebody... Well, there's always somebody richer. The point here is that, the saying isn't "he who rents the most stuff, wins".

The other side of this is owning too much stuff is a PITA too. Mick Jagger, in ruminating on the trappings of rock star materialism, once described owning all kinds of stuff as "Rings around your neck".

Do what makes you happy, there is a price to be paid for everything.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 PM

I like to wear stuff out. Makes me feel good about having bought it.

By the way, wasn't Krabbe's line about a clean as a whistle 21 cog rather than a chain ring?