Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
You're both wrong.

Gen1 is 2009-2014 Jetta and Golf. EA189 engine, LNT catalyst.
Gen2 is 2012-2014 Passat. Improved EA189 engine with SCR.
Gen3 is 2015+ Golf and Passat. New EA288 engine with SCR.
The Beetle TDI is in there somewhere.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe you can confirm this. There is no need to join a class action suit. Simply being the owner of record on 9/18/15 automatically puts you in the consolidated class action suit in front of Judge Breyer. An opportunity to opt out will come later.

Once again, there are no significant differences between years within each generation, so there is nothing special about the 2011/2012 models. 2009-2014 Jetta are all the same, except for the first year 2009's which have an integrated exhaust system, catalyst, and DPF. 2010-2014 are the same.
Generally, even if you don't actively join, you'll be included as an absent class member. You'll still get a notice that you're considered a member of the class when the claims administration begins. While we don't know exactly what's going to happen, signing on gave my chosen firm (who sponsored cycling for many years) a seat at the table. Hopefully, they'll take their gargantuan fees and reinvest it in the domestic peloton...
Old 04-27-2016, 12:17 PM

You referring to Hagens Berman? They sponsor a local Boston rider. I'm pretty sure that they are the lead firm on the class action suit.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 PM

How stupid is it to buy a used TDI right now? I'm in the market for a wagon and found a 2010 Jetta SW TDI in my price range with 150k miles. Seems like a good deal, clean history, good service records, two previous owners so I'd be number 3.

I've been trying to follow all of the diesel redemption strategy, but can't tell if the buy back credit, should the car I've seen turn into a money pit, only applies if you owned the car during Sept. 2015 which is when they seem to be pulling the market value of the car before offering compensation beyond that.

All signs point to me wanting this car. My only hesitation is the service history since the dealer has owned it (over a year) and what the contingency plan is, which is likely not to include private sale if there is a buyback soon to be in place.

Any thoughts from those following this a bit more closely?
Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM

Where all those buy back cars will end up? china or the junk yard???
Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM

They will go mostly to third world countries. Many flood cars in America end up in Kuwait, Brazil, and several others. VW is a big outfit, they will be able to unload quite a few.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You referring to Hagens Berman? They sponsor a local Boston rider. I'm pretty sure that they are the lead firm on the class action suit.
Yes. They aren't the named sponsor of the Jamis team anymore. It's Sutter Home. The managing partner was a representative of the class at the last hearing. It's not my area of expertise so I figured it was as good a way as any to pick a firm.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
How stupid is it to buy a used TDI right now? I'm in the market for a wagon and found a 2010 Jetta SW TDI in my price range with 150k miles. Seems like a good deal, clean history, good service records, two previous owners so I'd be number 3.

I've been trying to follow all of the diesel redemption strategy, but can't tell if the buy back credit, should the car I've seen turn into a money pit, only applies if you owned the car during Sept. 2015 which is when they seem to be pulling the market value of the car before offering compensation beyond that.

All signs point to me wanting this car. My only hesitation is the service history since the dealer has owned it (over a year) and what the contingency plan is, which is likely not to include private sale if there is a buyback soon to be in place.

Any thoughts from those following this a bit more closely?
I do not believe that you would be eligible for reparations, but I'm not an attorney. Otherwise there wouldn't be any on the market. The flippers would be snapping them up. For the gift cards you had to be the owner of record on 9/18/15.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:58 PM

The last straw

So I dropped by my local VW dealer to pick up some new windshield wipers. Since my Sportwagen is just over a year old, I'm going to struggle to spend the $500 in goodwill cash that has to be spent at a VW dealer.
I tell the parts guy I need front wipers for a 2014 TDI Sportwagen. You'd think that was enough info, but no, he has to have my VIN number to make sure he gets me the correct wipers, and then he gets to the good part, "That will be $42.46." ***??? $42.56 for wiper blades. Good thing it was VW's money I was spending.
I really like my Sportwagen, but this is getting to be too much. I might have to back to Hondas after the VW buy back.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
So I dropped by my local VW dealer to pick up some new windshield wipers. Since my Sportwagen is just over a year old, I'm going to struggle to spend the $500 in goodwill cash that has to be spent at a VW dealer.
I tell the parts guy I need front wipers for a 2014 TDI Sportwagen. You'd think that was enough info, but no, he has to have my VIN number to make sure he gets me the correct wipers, and then he gets to the good part, "That will be $42.46." ***??? $42.56 for wiper blades. Good thing it was VW's money I was spending.
I really like my Sportwagen, but this is getting to be too much. I might have to back to Hondas after the VW buy back.
most modern cars run around $20 a wiper blade, from my recent experience. You can get cheaper ones, but they suck.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:44 PM

Buy just the rubber inserts. They're not that hard to change.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X6DW13M/...arousels&psc=1

http://www.partsgeek.com/2qzcjqm-vol...iper+Blade+Set

I got a rear wiper blade for Jetta TDI sport wagen, before the sh!!te hit the fan..$12..Amazon.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:54 AM

Tire Rack sells the wipers for $19 and $23, so $42. VW prices on wipers are about on par for normal pricing.

You can get a pair off Amazon for $26 and change. I just did, Bosch, OEM. Looked it up, it's now a dollar less, $25.59. They look/fit exactly the same. 24"/19" pair, comes in one Bosch retail box.

I got replacements from Tire Rack, can't remember the brand, but they didn't look the same, they stuck up a bit more. Ugh. I looked it up, Valeo.

The rear wiper blade is impossible to find in a regular store. Amazon for that also, or the dealer. Rear wiper is a good item to buy at the dealer, price is on par with what you'll find anywhere.

I'm pretty sure that you can't replace just the rubber on these things.

I know this doesn't help you spend much money at the dealership but still.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 AM

COSTCO sells good wiper blades that fit the fronts of most cars at reasonable prices but they don't stock the small size for the rear hatch of my MINI.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:21 PM

This came today from my class action firm:

"Today, we’re pleased to bring you an important update in the class-action lawsuit against Volkswagen. We have appreciated your patience in light of the court-mandated gag order regarding the case, and are excited to share these details.

VW is on target to meet the court’s June 21, 2016 deadline, and we are working toward what the court has deemed a “substantial” settlement with Volkswagen for owners of its CleanDiesel vehicles. At yesterday’s hearing Judge Breyer said:

“I am pleased this morning to announce that the Settlement Master and the parties – Volkswagen, the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, the Department of Justice on behalf of the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board, in conjunction with the California Attorney General’s Office and the Federal Trade Commission – have reported that in the month since we last met, they have made substantial progress in their intensive daily efforts to finalize the agreements, and, most importantly, are on track to meet the Court’s deadline.”

The public will have an opportunity to comment before the court approves the proposed settlement.

We urge you all to please read the Court’s Transcript from May 24, 2016, which contains new, helpful information about the settlement addressing a buy back, modifications, substantial compensation, environmental remediation and green automotive technology."

I haven't read the transcript yet: https://cts.vrmailer1.com/click?sk=a...mi:(?%3C=href=)[%5Cs]*[%27%22](?%3Curl%3E[%5E%7B%27%22].+?)[%27%22])

Quick scan - the previously reported buyback/fix with additional compensation for two liter cars plus a payment to a remediation fund. Still no settlement on the three liter cars.

Last edited by ptourkin; 05-25-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads