Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 09-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Vendor

Ahh, I just had some track dropouts laying around that I was getting sick of looking at so I threw together this single-speed/track style frame. It kinda started out as supposed to be one of those older tt bikes with the forward sloping top tube however the top tube doesn't really slope a whole lot. I couldn't decide if I was gonna put old-school track bars on it or perhaps some bull-horns. In the end I decided to see if I could just build some custom aero bars for the fun of it. The fork is just something that I was kinda winging. This frame is still just laying around the shop here as I haven't had time to paint it.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Vendor

Old 09-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Vendor

For some reason I consider this bike art, go figure. Its just so under-the-radar, no flash, no frills, almost like he got the frame and built it all up the night before a race, he may have. But when i look at it, it just looks so solid and ready to race. If a guy was sitting on the starting line with this bike I would probably think he had an ace up his sleeve. Whats interesting is that I never really got to talk to this guy except for a couple of emails. I normally like to talk to my customers and get to know them a bit but he preferred to just use emails and not give out his phone number. He basically emailed me and said build me this frame, paint it white with black, he paid me when it was finished, and then emailed me and said it rode great and I never heard from him again. I would still like to meet him. I love this photo and the look of that California terrain. It makes me think sunny, dry, hardpack, little rocky. You know you're gonna come home with some skinned up knees and elbows. Its one of my earlier builds and definitely one of my favorite photos.

Last edited by meech151; 09-08-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech151 View Post
For some reason I consider this bike art, go figure. Its just so under-the-radar, no flash, no frills, almost like he got the frame and built it all up the night before a race, he may have. But when i look at it, it just looks so solid and ready to race. If a guy was sitting on the starting line with this bike I would probably think he had an ace up his sleeve. Whats interesting is that I never really got to talk to this guy except for a couple of emails. I normally like to talk to my customers and get to know them a bit but he preferred to just use emails and not give out his phone number. He basically emailed me and said build me this frame, paint it white with black, he paid me when it was finished, and then emailed me and said it rode great and I never heard from him again. I would still like to meet him. I love this photo and the look of that California terrain. It makes me think sunny, dry, hardpack, little rocky. You know you're gonna come home with some skinned up knees and elbows. Its one of my earlier builds and definitely one of my favorite photos.

Like they say...it's a tool, not a jewel!

Love it!

William
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Vendor

I actually haven't heard it put like that before but thats exactly how I feel. I'm gonna probably start using that phrase alot now that you've enlighted me.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 AM
it's all nuts!!

dear mr. d,

would you mind sharing your experience of learning from mr. yamaguchi? what are you favorite wheels? where do you like to ride? nuk nuk nuk!

mr. squirrel
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Vendor

Hey Mr. Squirrel,

For me the Yamaguchi school was a life-changing experience because I was at one of those points in life where I was looking for some direction. I became so enthused about building bike frames literally overnight and when I signed up for his class I couldn't wait to get there. I was doing everything I could to learn as much as I could to pass the months before I went. When I got there it was like having a fish on the end of your line, I wasn't thinking about anything else other than building a bike frame. I woke up early every morning just waiting to get in his shop and see what I was gonna learn. He is a very interesting man in many ways and I believe he was a good racer as well. Everything just had a good, positive vibe to it and if I had time I would love to go back.

I don't really have any favorite wheels but if I had to pick just one pair I would go with a pair of Mavic Open Pro rims and some Campy Record hubs built 3x. They're rock solid, you can ride them on and off-road, and they're rebuildable. With that said, I enjoy riding a nice set of lightweight wheels for say like racing or just feeling fast but right now I just have a few wheels lying around that I keep switching back and forth when needed. I have a pair of Rolf Vigor that I have been running for quite a while now and they seem bullet-proof and roll pretty fast. I always wanted to get a pair of DT Mon Chasseral but haven't done so yet.

As far as riding goes, I like to ride straight out of my garage and go in whichever direction I feel like on that day. I don't put in many miles like I used to but I still ride 4-5 times a week for an hour or so. On occasion I will go 2-3 hrs but not so much any more. I also love to visit a couple of riding buddies in my old hometown of Jonesboro, Arkansas. Its always good fun.

Thanks for the interest. nuk nuk back atcha!

chao

Dimitri

Last edited by meech151; 09-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Dimitri,

What do you tend to build the most of these days? Cross, road, or Mtb's? As far as customers go, do you tend to have more local customers, or are they fairly spread out?

William
Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Vendor

William this last year has been about a 50/50 split between road and cross frames although I normally build more cross frames. I love the versatility of a cyclocross bike so I lean more toward those. When I originally began building I only wanted to build cyclocross frames however i quickly realized that you have to be ready to do a little of everything. I've only done a handful of mountain bike frames, a couple of belt-driven and a 29er that is shown here on the forum. The 29er (white w/purple) weighs a scant 19 lbs. with the Rock Solid fork on it. I'm happy to say that I've sold frames all over, coast to coast, and a handful here locally in North Arkansas. Here lately I've been getting alot more attention locally than I was but I love sending them all over the place. I've sent quite a few up to the Northeast and a couple overseas as well. Anywhere is alright by me.

Last edited by meech151; 11-16-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech151 View Post
William this last year has been about a 50/50 split between road and cross frames although I normally build more cross frames. I love the versatility of a cyclocross bike so I lean more toward those. When I originally began building I only wanted to build cyclocross frames however i quickly realized that you have to be ready to do a little of everything. I've only done a handful of mountain bike frames, a couple of belt-driven and a 29er that is shown here on the forum. The 29er (white w/purple) weighs a scant 19 lbs. with the Rock Solid fork on it. I'm happy to say that I've sold frames all over, coast to coast, and a handful here locally in North Arkansas. Here lately I've been getting alot more attention locally than I was but I love sending them all over the place. I've sent quite a few up to the Northeast and a couple oversees as well. Anywhere is alright by me.
I agree Dimitri. I love road bikes but a cross bike has opened up so many more roads and adventures that I probably wouldn't have attempted on a roadie. From a builders perspective though it makes sense to be versatile and be able to cover a number of niches.

Thanks D!

William
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Who does your paint work?

Is the bonkers classic/80's/90's aesthetic intentional from you, or is that just how the client base skews?

(I think they're awesome either way.)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Vendor

Paul and Wayne from Ace's Wild Paint and Fab have been my main source for paint jobs but just here in the last few months I have started painting some of my own frames with a small discount since I'm not a professional painter. I'm getting better and I like painting them myself because it makes the frames more mine. It is hard work and very time consuming as well. I tip my hat to all the painters out there, its not easy work at all. Most all the paint schemes you see on my frames are chosen by the customer however some of them are mine. Thanks for checking things out.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Many thanks to Dimitri for sharing his fine craftsmanship with us. Please keep posting up new rides to keep us up to date on what you are working on.

Sincerely,
William
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Some Meech Cross candy....

Awesome work D!

What's the purpose of the cut-out on the chain stay?

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meech_cross1.jpg (149.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Meech_cross2.jpg (123.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meech_cross3.jpg (89.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg Meech_cross4.jpg (90.9 KB, 182 views)