Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 07:29 PM

I spent years dipping my hands in trays and smelling chemicals and acetic acid was the easiest one of them.
There will be ZERO working news or sports photographers who will be returning to film use. Only amateurs and "artists" will use film.

Last edited by bikinchris; 03-06-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Early digital P&S seems like the worst of all options.
Some of them are becoming niche items for some photographers - the early digital sensors had much more of a film look to them compared to the new stuff, at the expense of ****ty resolution, shutter speed and poor ISO performance.

I think its weird, but I also did buy that tiny fuji xm1 with the original fuji mirrorless sensor. I havent shot it enough to form an opinion yet though.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:50 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I sent years dipping my hands in trays and smelling chemicals and acetic acid was the easiest one of them.
There will be ZERO working news or sports photographers who will be returning to film use. Only amateurs and "artists" will use film.
And hipsters. Always the hipsters.

I worked in the photography and photography related industry for 45 years. Left chemicals behind in '84. Never looked back. Ridiculous that some are using film. Learn Lightroom and Photoshop, and buy a nice printer.

AI is killing serious photography, though. I can't believe a lot I see today online. Deep fake world.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:06 PM

Isn't this a lot like the LP vs CD debate, with the LP contingent saying they can hear better sound over the pops and clicks and distortion?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:15 PM

Started up again in the last couple of years with a Nikon DSLR, still using my lenses from the 90's. Digital is nice and convenient but it doesn't have the magic of going through the red and yellow box of newly developed Kodachrome slides. The same magic happened when riding nice sew-ups.
Its progress but is it really?

I'll go back to yelling at clouds.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:19 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Isn't this a lot like the LP vs CD debate, with the LP contingent saying they can hear better sound over the pops and clicks and distortion?
More like LP vs. Spotify
Old 03-05-2024, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I just hope it comes back enough so that I can find a buyer for my >50-year-old Nikkormat 35mm body with assorted Nikon and Vivitar lenses...I think the last time I shot a roll of film in that camera was 1986.
Same. Hanging on to my old f series. I was hopeful there was going to be a digital retrofit sensor for the old cameras but that hasn’t panned out.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I have an AE-1 that's been sitting for at least 15 years. I wonder if the shutter still works?

A few years ago I gave away the FM2 I had given my father ages ago. For some reason he never really bonded with it so it got little use. He preferred his old rangefinder, but it finally died.
I have a bag in a closet with an AE-1 Program, stock lens, zoom lens, wide angle lens, old light meter. IIRC I took the battery out of the camera a decade ago so it wouldn't corrode. I'd be happy to hand it to someone who'd use it.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
I'd be happy to hand it to someone who'd use it.
I gave the FM2 away to someone, either on this forum or ATH. Can't remember his name.

The shutter had gotten sticky from just sitting, but I think he got back to me and said that he managed to get it working again.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:17 PM

I love how a conversation about a new camera, that could be a conversation about preserving something that's a beautiful, tangible, physical medium of photography has, in part, turned into grumpy old men yelling at clouds complaining about how craaaaaazy it would be to keep shooting film even though some of us simply enjoy it
Old 03-05-2024, 09:22 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I love how a conversation about a new camera, that could be a conversation about preserving something that's a beautiful, tangible, physical medium of photography has, in part, turned into grumpy old men yelling at clouds complaining about how craaaaaazy it would be to keep shooting film even though some of us simply enjoy it
Imagine the ruckus if Mario Confente somehow rose from the grave and started to make skinny-tubed bikes with DT shifter bosses again...
Old 03-05-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
i sent years dipping my hands in trays and smelling chemicals and acetic acid was the easiest one of them.
There will be zero working news or sports photographers who will be returning to film use. Only amateurs and "artists" will use film.
+1
Old 03-05-2024, 09:54 PM

This is a great discussion. Keep it going.

As I said, I had no remorse about selling my Leica SLRs and lenses. It was one of the easiest tech transitions I have made. They were great cameras and, because of their weight, could double as a defensive weapon. But, I didn't love them. They became, as Warren Buffet says, an unrealized asset. At the time, I got decent money for them.

If I were looking for an office shelf film camera, it would be a Nikon F with the silver shield or a Leica M3, but I'm not.

I still have 2 Canon P&S cameras, the last ones with view finders, that I still use. I take lots of iPhone photos, but I need to learn iphone editing.

If I were to get serious about photography again, and I've been thinking about it, I'd go for one of the 42 megapixal mirrorless cameras that allow you to shoot in darkness.

F*** pushing Tri-X!
Old 03-05-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I love how a conversation about a new camera, that could be a conversation about preserving something that's a beautiful, tangible, physical medium of photography has just turned into grumpy old men yelling at clouds
I strolled through a shop the other day that had 8-tracks, cassettes, film cameras, an old glass orange juicer, a vintage HD hardtail, old cameras, Playboys, old metal ice trays with a lever you pull to free the cubes. I remember all that stuff; we have better versions now. Some people buy that stuff to try and recreate their youth, other people buy that stuff because they think things were better back then. You can't recreate your youth, and things weren't better. It sucked. Now is better. Even the clouds are better - there's less air pollution.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:22 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
I strolled through a shop the other day that had 8-tracks, cassettes, film cameras, an old glass orange juicer, a vintage HD hardtail, old cameras, Playboys, old metal ice trays with a lever you pull to free the cubes. I remember all that stuff; we have better versions now. Some people buy that stuff to try and recreate their youth, other people buy that stuff because they think things were better back then. You can't recreate your youth, and things weren't better. It sucked. Now is better. Even the clouds are better - there's less air pollution.
Music sucks.