Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2015, 05:35 PM

Travel Bikes and TSA

The last time I flew with a bike was in 2006. I used a Tri All case that didn't require much disassembly (mainly remove wheels, bars, saddle, and rear dérailleur).
As the bike went through the ticket counter, I saw the agent open the case for inspection. He assured me I could go on as he knew what he was doing. Well...yes and no. He didn't repack as carefully as I packed, so stuff was rattling around when I reached my destination.

An S&S coupled bike recently caught my eye. Since it would require more strategic packing, the thought of that agent rifling through it makes me queasy.

Would anyone care to relate their experiences going through inspection?

Has anyone had an airline agent see one of these cases open and try to ding you for an extra "bike fare"?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:42 PM

I took my S&S coupled bike to Italy last Fall. On the way over the case was never opened. The ticket agent put a sticker over the lock and the sticker was still intact on arrival in Pisa. I think the case was opened on the way back, but all was fine inside and the case was closed properly.

I did have to pay an additional $100 each way however, not because it was a bike, but simply as a second piece of luggage. We flew economy on the German airline and they only allow one piece of luggage without additional fees. I thought that international flights had more generous baggage policies, but I was clearly wrong.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I took my S&S coupled bike to Italy last Fall. On the way over the case was never opened. The ticket agent put a sticker over the lock and the sticker was still intact on arrival in Pisa. I think the case was opened on the way back, but all was fine inside and the case was closed properly.

I did have to pay an additional $100 each way however, not because it was a bike, but simply as a second piece of luggage. We flew economy on the German airline and they only allow one piece of luggage without additional fees. I thought that international flights had more generous baggage policies, but I was clearly wrong.
European carriers are generally more restrictive on baggage allowances.

Regarding the TSA, most of the airports seem to have a TSA baggage screening area near the check-in. I also have an S&S bike and was worried about the same thing.

After checking my bag, they tag it and tell me to bring it to the TSA guy. I explain that I would like to lock the case after they need to inspect it. They have run the case and did not need to open it and allowed me to lock it. They may wish to lock it themselves.

Just request that they whatever they need to do, to please do it in your presence, explaining that it's a bike and it's difficult to pack. Most will be understanding, especially if you get there in time. Leave yourself extra time for this process.

I have checked mine three times last year and had no issues. Each time I watched the process and they were OK with it and allowed it to be locked either before or after they ran it through the screening machine.

I work in the airlines and my wearing a uniform and carrying a crew badge might have made this easier for me, but the folks I dealt with seemed quite reasonable and willing to help me. I just explained the situation and it all worked OK.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 PM

Flew to and from France with an S&S sized case...I don't think it was ever opened. Kind of surprised.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM

I've taken four total flights with my S&S. Never had a fee and I would contest it pretty vehemently if I did. After all, that's not a bike in that case- it's a bunch of parts!

I'll add that my case has clearly been opened, and having the TSA net is probably the only thing that made it possible for the agent to close the case again. It's a big bike and just barely can be packed due to the size of the frame and length of the fork steerer. The net holds everything in its place while making it possible to search the case anyway.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 PM

i use an EVOC soft side bag and have not had any problems with damage. TSA notice inside the bag, but nothing seems to have been disturbed.

Except my wallet, which is disturbed to the tune of $150 each way. Absurd.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 PM

Never had a problem.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I work in the airlines and my wearing a uniform and carrying a crew badge might have made this easier for me
I was going to mention this very thing. I bet joe-shmoe off the street will not get as good cooperation from them as folks like you. Same thing if you were uniformed military. (in which case you wouldn't be traveling with a bike, but I bet they would thank you for your service )
Old 02-27-2015, 09:33 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, I've flown with my bike (well, one of my bikes, I got a second coupled bike, and just can't bring myself to sell off the first one yet)...probably almost 20 times now. I've had TSA inspection notes inside, maybe three times now. I'm pretty sure it was the TSA net that S&S sells that made that possible. It is a mesh net that you strap over the bike once you pack it. It allows the whole thing to be lifted out without changing shape, and it can be placed (crammed) back in. I've never been charged more than I should have been for a piece of luggage, though a guy asked me if it was a bike last time I dropped it off. My answer was "Sports equipment, but why would it matter? It's under standard size and weight." He sent it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
I've taken four total flights with my S&S. Never had a fee and I would contest it pretty vehemently if I did. After all, that's not a bike in that case- it's a bunch of parts!

I'll add that my case has clearly been opened, and having the TSA net is probably the only thing that made it possible for the agent to close the case again. It's a big bike and just barely can be packed due to the size of the frame and length of the fork steerer. The net holds everything in its place while making it possible to search the case anyway.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 AM

Same as the others, I've never been charged traveling with my S&S bike. It's been a few trips a year for the last 5 or 6 years and I've never even been asked what's in the box. I don't have a TSA net either, thought I've thought about getting one. My trick is to remove the tire entirely from the front wheel, which goes on top. When the lid is opened nothing shifts and once they see it's a bike the lid closes back up just as easily. I lay the folded tire on top of the wheel and between that and the compression members, the wheel is protected.

In general, I still find packing the bike to be a pain, but I can get it assembled pretty quickly and it's well worth it to have a bike I ride regularly with me on trips.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 AM
Registered (ab)User

The TSA Net is your friend, I can't imagine everything in an S&S case surviving inspection without that net.

I recently was given the opportunity to watch the process and (fortunately) to then assist -- verbally, from a distance -- the TSA agent in reclosing the case. They seem to get most of the info they require from the x-ray machine, because after that the agent just opened the case, wiped a swab around the interior of the case lip (while barely even acknowledging the contents) and then, once the swab came up "clean", closing the case.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I was going to mention this very thing. I bet joe-shmoe off the street will not get as good cooperation from them as folks like you. Same thing if you were uniformed military. (in which case you wouldn't be traveling with a bike, but I bet they would thank you for your service )
I don't know this for sure. I've also met with more or less outright hostility from some of them, who seem resentful of my position. Some of them have real power and control complexes.

But I have had good experiences with my S&S case checking. So far.

If I travelled more I'd probably buy the Ritchey soft sided case. It's slightly larger and possibly subject to a fee, but I would think packing it would be so much easier. Packing my Serotta CIII is not easy and everyone here who has an S&S bike knows this. It can be done, but it takes time and great precision to get it all in.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Bike Friday owner...

8 trips to Israel. One to Florida. One to Nevada. A few times tsa has put a sticker in side. No extra charges. No problems.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 AM

I fly out of our local airport (Burlington) domestically and out of Montreal to Europe. S&S coupled 56 cm Serotta in the hard case. I use the travel net as well.
At BTV I watch the tsa and offer verbal coaching. Often, the agent needs technique help to 'skootch' the tire on the front wheel into the top cover to get it to close. Otherwise, they are doing better than a few years ago, and things stay together. Domestically, I have to pay for the extra bag, but not for a bike, which is often figured as a surcharge on top. Once recently, the airline counter supervisor made me open the case for him to prove it was bike parts ( they had an extra charge for bikes). He saw the wheels and parts, I didn't have to unpack, just open... and said, yup, parts. No extra charge.
At Dorval, airlines like air France or air Transat just check the case, and put it on the conveyor belt. All the airlines have differing policies for the extra bag/weight. For air Transat, for example, they have an extra space ticket, which also gives you extra weight, a good deal if traveling with a bike. It always pays to check the policy before booking. I've long since saved the cost of the coupling.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 AM

My S&S case is old, and I wrap a Thule strap around it, through the handle, to keep it from opening inadvertently. It's obviously not locked but a bit of a nuisance for a TSA inspector to open. I suspect it's only been xrayed during the last few years. The TSA net is essential. Without it, the TSA will never get the case closed correctly. I have chronically bent spokes as a result of one trip, fortunately no big deal thus far. I haven't been charged extra because it's a bicycle, but since I'm paying a baggage fee every time I travel these days (not the case when I bought the coupled bike), I often ship UPS a few days ahead so I don't have to lug it around the airport.