Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM

i lived in burlingame for awhile. are you up in hills or the flatlands? there are at least a half dozen ways to get there, but either way, eventually get yourself to the 92/280/ralson/canada rd. intersection (where canada rd. begins). all the action starts there, you'll see hundreds of cyclists, etc. i used to ride crystal springs to polhemus to ralson, which was most direct from where i lived (near trousdale). there's a bike path at top of ralston that drops down to canada rd once you cross over the pedestrain overpass on 280, fyi (or, it used to be there--it's been several years since i've ridden in that neck of woods).

from beginning of canada, it's game on to the best riding in the peninsula--woodside, palo alto, portola, etc. etc.

gearing: totally depends on fitness. back then, i was in much better shape. i doubt i had much more than 39x25-26. today, i'd be whimpering for a compact and not embarrassed to be pushing a 27-28 in the back.

is copenhagen bakery still around on burlingame ave? if so, post-ride pickled herring sandwich and cold beer is righteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm
My son lives in Burlingame, and I'm building a bike to stash there. Advice for great rides on the peninsula?

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM

gifted

some of us are either in better shape or genetically more gifted than others.

all i got was a sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM

I figured out how to get to that intersection last summer. The bike path is still there, as is the Copenhagen, but I'd take a pastry over pickled herring! My son, who is a 130 lb climber, actually switched his Felt from a compact to a regular crank. I was on a steel Lemond rental and was glad for the triple on it. My only consolation was that I could drop him on long straight descents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77
i lived in burlingame for awhile. are you up in hills or the flatlands? there are at least a half dozen ways to get there, but either way, eventually get yourself to the 92/280/ralson/canada rd. intersection (where canada rd. begins). all the action starts there, you'll see hundreds of cyclists, etc. i used to ride crystal springs to polhemus to ralson, which was most direct from where i lived (near trousdale). there's a bike path at top of ralston that drops down to canada rd once you cross over the pedestrain overpass on 280, fyi (or, it used to be there--it's been several years since i've ridden in that neck of woods).

from beginning of canada, it's game on to the best riding in the peninsula--woodside, palo alto, portola, etc. etc.

gearing: totally depends on fitness. back then, i was in much better shape. i doubt i had much more than 39x25-26. today, i'd be whimpering for a compact and not embarrassed to be pushing a 27-28 in the back.

is copenhagen bakery still around on burlingame ave? if so, post-ride pickled herring sandwich and cold beer is righteous.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM
cnighbor2

riding the bay area

Just do a search for Grizzy Peak cyclists and you will get my club
click on cue sheets and you will every decent ride one can do in the bay area
If you need a place to stay in SF area for a few days my spare bedroom is emtpy now Yours free for a few days. Just buy some food to cook
Charles Nighbor Walnut Creek Next to B.A.R.T.
925 708-1295
Old 01-30-2012, 07:15 PM

Conzelman:

Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77

Small world, my brother lives in Burlingame (Easton Dr.) I often ride there and back from my place in San Francisco. Head out to the Ocean via Lake Merced then catch Skyline onto hwy35 pass San Andreas Lake then back on Skyline to Burlingame. http://g.co/maps/tshbn

Bike path along San Andreas Lake frontage road.

Last edited by bobswire; 01-30-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Bike Geek

I ride everything out here between SF-SJ.
Standard 53/39 & 12/25. Not a problem.
If anyone wants advice/help/suggestions
for rides, just ask. I'm even familiar with
Marin & East Bay/Oakland Hills. Basically,
there is something good to ride in every
part of the Bay Area. We have it all, and
good weather/active cycling culture to boot.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 AM

there is a dark side...

as so many have posted there are great rides in the bay area...but there is a dark side. watch out for spoiled teenagers and just loud mouths that thing they and their suvs own the road. keep vigilant and keep those spidey senses on.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Bike Geek

Especially in the wealthier areas like Burlingame, Hillsborough, Foster City, Palo Alto, Los Gatos, etc. It seems that the richer you are, the more sense of entitlement to the road you have . Watchout for kids (and moms & dads) driving those Bimmers & Mini Crappers
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Entitled drivers

As Bennet said, it always seems like the wealthier areas are teeming with high school students in brand-new SUVs.

That said, the more common bike routes tend to be a little more mellow.

A couple links to get you started:

http://www.penvelo.org/secondary/rides.html
http://bicycling.511.org/maps.htm
http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/resources/group-rides/