Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Visiting Blairsville GA, what to do?

We have some friends that own a house in Blairsville, GA and we will be visiting there soon. We've been looking into hiking trails and other activities, but I wanted to see if The Paceline had any must dos while we are there.

I will be bringing a bike and plan on doing the Jack, Unicoi and Hogpen Gaps loop and am considering giving Brasstown Bald a try too. Are there some other good routes to ride? Especially ones that aren't so difficult as my 18 year-old daughter, who is new to cycling, will also be there with me too.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM

I love Wolfpen Gap personally. Beautiful climb that's also on the short side.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 AM
extremely tall

Hi Keith,
We spent about 3 weeks in Blairsville two springs ago. It's a great area, with tons of great rides. All the gaps you mentioned, and plenty of loop options for virtually any length ride. If I were going again, the only thing I'd do differently is bring a 'cross bike as well; tons of beautiful dirt roads. Also, bring a fishing rod if you're into that; super options for fly fishing and spin casting.

We had a few (okay, many) meals at Cook's Country Kitchen. They have a lunchtime buffet that's dirt cheap, and real down home cooking. (think biscuits, gravy, pork chops, etc.) Like $20 with tip for 3 of us including enough sweet tea to float us home. It's a nice glimpse into the local community, especially if you go a few times. We also had some great BBQ at a place called the Pink Pig; google it; I think it's in the next town over from Blairsville. There's a really nice rec park there if you wanted to bring tennis racquets, etc.

I love that area and plan to visit again at some point; perfect spring training getaway.

JC
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Sounds like you have the cycling part down. When off the bike, check out Nora Mill Granary Grist Mill and Store in Helen. Also worth a drive to go and check out Mark of the Potter in Clarkesville. We have found some really nice pieces at Mark of the Potter. Very scenic drive as well and right on the river. Enjoy.

http://www.noramill.com/store/index.php

http://www.markofthepotter.com/index.html

Guy

- John Muir
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the input so far...keep it coming.

What about the Wolfpen, Woody and Neels Gap loop? How tough are the climbs and how dangerous are the descents? How about the road and traffic conditions? My daughter has never done any climbing or descending, but I'd like her to get a taste of it without it being too hard or dangerous. She will have a compact 34 on front and a 27 on the back.

How does this compare to the Jack, Unicoi, and Hogpen loop?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Thanks for the input so far...keep it coming.

What about the Wolfpen, Woody and Neels Gap loop? How tough are the climbs and how dangerous are the descents? How about the road and traffic conditions? My daughter has never done any climbing or descending, but I'd like her to get a taste of it without it being too hard or dangerous. She will have a compact 34 on front and a 27 on the back.

The backside of Woodys can get a little sketchy. Georgia DOT laid down some tar strips that got slick when warm. To be fair, that was a couple years ago, so they may have done some work to fix since then. The backside of Unicoi is about as fun a descent as I've done, with some nice cambered corners you can really carve with ease. Hogpen, if you go up the usual ascent from Helen, is fairly simple on the backside. Its just really, really fast. I hit 50 without much issue as a brake-dragger.

Jacks, Unicoi and Hogpen would be much, much more difficult than the route you discussed. Hogpen's about a 7 1/4 mile climb, with the toughest section between mile 3 and 5. Doing that ride was one of the tougher days I've ever had on a bike.

Woody, Neels and Wolfpen have varying degrees of steepness, but are all short compared to Hogpen.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on doing the Jacks, Unicoi and Hogpen loop...but not with my daughter.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on doing the Jacks, Unicoi and Hogpen loop...but not with my daughter.
There's a photo floating around of me getting to the top of Hogpen, as a solo grupetto out of my gaggle of friend, flipping the camera the bird with both hands and looking pretty shelled.

My advice for Hogpen is the first couple miles are completely deceptive. Literally at mile marker 3 it kicks up to about 15% and doesn't end for two miles.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:

The Neels, Woody and Wolfpen loop is 35 miles and it's known as Three Gap. None of the climbs is as difficult as Hogpen and only Wolfpen has a somewhat technical descent, but it's entirely manageable at a reasonable speed. NOTE: I wouldn't put a beginner on Hogpen - the climb is too difficult and the descent can get out of control very quickly.

For Three Gap, start at R Ranch and head toward Neels first. You'll get a decent warm-up with some rollers before the first climb. Neels will feel longish but not steep. Wolfpen will be the most difficult, but once completed, you've knocked out the hardest part of the ride. Next comes a scenic ride through the Suches valley before a short, easy climb up Woody. Then you have a nice long descent back to the car at R Ranch. With an inexperienced rider, plan on three hours or more.

Last edited by LegendRider; 03-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM
50 bpm

Do all six.

One of the things I'll miss about switching coasts is the annual climbfest known as Six Gap. A great ride. The site of some epic struggles, colossal failures and astounding (relatively) successes.

The descent of Hogpen is my favorite downhill anywhere. Enjoy!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Administrator

LegendRider -- Thanks for the tip about where to start for the Three Gap. Is there parking there?

Elefantino -- I'm planning on doing all six, but not in one day We will be doing more than just riding and so I'm going to try and get in several shorter rides during the week.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
LegendRider -- Thanks for the tip about where to start for the Three Gap. Is there parking there?

Elefantino -- I'm planning on doing all six, but not in one day We will be doing more than just riding and so I'm going to try and get in several shorter rides during the week.
Yes, there is parking alongside the road at R Ranch. Chances are you'll see other cyclists too.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM

An off the bike side trip is to check out Duke Creek Falls at the base of Hogpen. You have to walk down a well maintained path down about a 1/4 mile from the road to the observation deck. It is a pretty awesome waterfall especially if the weather has been rainy. Worth the walk
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
50 bpm

Unicoi has a nice descent, too. Every Six Gap year it's been our "race you to the bottom" downhill.

I am undefeated.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Any tips on hiking in the area?

Also, has any one tried Jim's Smokin' Que?