Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Rapha Prestige Cambridge NY

https://events.rapha.cc/products/rap...m_medium=email

This was recently announced. Looks like a cool route.

If anyone has any inside intel into a gps track for the route, I would love to see it. I've explored quite a bit around this area, but there are always new roads to be seen.

Alternatively, If anyone winds up needing a 4th, give me a hollar.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

If anyone has any inside intel into a gps track for the route, I would love to see it. I've explored quite a bit around this area, but there are always new roads to be seen.

You likely can ride many of the same dirt roads if you do the Great North. https://www.bikereg.com/59544. This is put on by Dieter Drake, who put on the Tour of Battenkill when it was a race. The Great North is a good event that is pretty well supported, and the Argyle Brewing Company where it starts and finishes is a cool place.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:00 PM

So it's unsupported and unmarshalled. In other words, just go there with some friends and ride the route, and while you're at it, pay Rapha some money to 'register' to do it - looks like "from $72.88/pp" will get you entered.
Is that how it works?
Old 04-23-2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
So it's unsupported and unmarshalled. In other words, just go there with some friends and ride the route, and while you're at it, pay Rapha some money to 'register' to do it - looks like "from $72.88/pp" will get you entered.
Is that how it works?
Don’t forget the complimentary coffee and pastry! I was trying to be subtle. I’m happy to pay relatively high entries, and I don’t begrudge promoters making money. But I want to feel like I am getting some value in return, whether it’s well-equipped aid stations, good food, and/or a good party afterwards.

Nick — come visit this summer and we can ride the course on our own.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:49 PM

Selective reading, much? Lol.

From the site:

What's included?

Route
Pre-ride pastries and coffe
Hydration and on-bike fuel at halfway point
Post-ride food and drink
Old 04-24-2024, 12:05 AM
#RYFB

Also usually a nice little gift bag on completion. The past few years have included cap, musette, beer glass, bidon, kerchief, commemorative artwork, etc.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

I know a guy from MHCC looking to put together a crew for this. Not sure if he has filled a team yet!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Also usually a nice little gift bag on completion. The past few years have included cap, musette, beer glass, bidon, kerchief, commemorative artwork, etc.
Right. As someone who used to see the behind the scenes stuff on these events - these are marketing activations disguised as a ride. This is part of Rapha's marketing budget. You're doing better than they are for your $75.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 04-24-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:16 PM

The food they had after the ride in Andes was incredible. So. Much. Amazing. Food. Well worth every penny. If you don't stay for the food, you are missing out.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:21 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

It's in the same general vicinity of Tour of Battenkill. Unfortunately, the route is not published yet. I'd be interested, dependent on the route.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:11 AM
Post Mod-ern

Firstly . . .

If Rapha wants me to be part of their marketing, then THEY can pay ME. I can guarantee you they will have some sort of photo waiver in their registration and it's a ploy by them to get free modelling work.

Second . . . Yes, do the Great North instead! Great event! https://www.bikereg.com/greatnorth

Lastly, I live in the area and have ridden these roads extensively over the years. It's a great area, but there were local government issues with last year's Battenkill affecting this year's event and I'm not absolutely sure if they would also affect this event.

Here's this year's TotB Gran Fondo Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45933527

Last year town of Cambridge had a local road closed for construction. TotB management (Ventures Endurance, a Gannett Media company) wanted to route on the road and went around locals to State DOT, who forced the town to re-open the road for the event. That didn't sit well with the town supes, who voted to ban TotB from town of Cambridge roads going forward. So this year's route it totally different–no Juniper Swamp, no Meeting House, no Roberson, and much less unpaved. In past year's the TotB has always gotten event permissions from all involved local governments, so not sure how that could affect other events being held in the area. The interval starting on June 29 could be a way to get around having to get formal event permissions.

In any event, Rapha hasn't offered to pay me to ride this, so I won't be there!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 04-29-2024, 10:47 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

BBD - thanks for the backstory on the ToB route change. I was wondering (I signed up again -- hoping the weather is better this year as opposed to last year)

One final question per the ToB Gran route -- is this the approved final version? I know there were changes pending (Personally I enjoy both the Intervale Rd climb and Mountain Road. Anytime I can ride those, it's a good day. So, I am happy we are doing those, even Intervale from the other side).

Cheers, BobC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
If Rapha wants me to be part of their marketing, then THEY can pay ME. I can guarantee you they will have some sort of photo waiver in their registration and it's a ploy by them to get free modelling work.

Second . . . Yes, do the Great North instead! Great event! https://www.bikereg.com/greatnorth

Lastly, I live in the area and have ridden these roads extensively over the years. It's a great area, but there were local government issues with last year's Battenkill affecting this year's event and I'm not absolutely sure if they would also affect this event.

Here's this year's TotB Gran Fondo Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45933527

Last year town of Cambridge had a local road closed for construction. TotB management (Ventures Endurance, a Gannett Media company) wanted to route on the road and went around locals to State DOT, who forced the town to re-open the road for the event. That didn't sit well with the town supes, who voted to ban TotB from town of Cambridge roads going forward. So this year's route it totally different–no Juniper Swamp, no Meeting House, no Roberson, and much less unpaved. In past year's the TotB has always gotten event permissions from all involved local governments, so not sure how that could affect other events being held in the area. The interval starting on June 29 could be a way to get around having to get formal event permissions.

In any event, Rapha hasn't offered to pay me to ride this, so I won't be there!

BBD
Old 04-29-2024, 11:14 AM
Post Mod-ern

I copied the routes . . .

. . . to my own RWGPS several months ago. If I ride the event I'd download latest versions before going. But I don't see them going back to Cambridge. If they had smoothed things over with the supes it would have happened before now. That takes a lot of the historical guts out of the route.

But the climb out of West Hebron on Patterson Hill Road is very challenging. Long and steep. BTW, that's the same road where the guy lived who killed one of the teenagers when their car pulled into his driveway by mistake. You go right by his house. But you won't see him any more. He got life sentence a month or so back–well deserved!

The Kenyon Hill climb over Mt. Colfax is also a bugger. I had a friend who lived on top of that mountain for a while and I was nervous going up that to her house in my car! Never done it on a bike. 12% at one point.

Also keep in mind that the RWGPS ride surface feature is notoriously unreliable. For instance, Patterson Hill climb shows as paved, but it's really dirt. There's more gravel on this tour than that map shows.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats