Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Kind of OK

Chrome question

I stripped the Benotto and found a lot more chrome (or chromelike) plating. There seems to be a decided shift in color from bright chrome to a more pewter but still very shiny. Is that nickle plating under the chrome? The raw steel looks really different.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:57 PM

They chrome the whole bike and pretty much they polish just what is needed to be polish, thats why you have like raw like coat over the whole bike.

Obviusly you are going to repaint the bike, I would use like an acrylic type of primer, that will stick to that like you can't imagine, sand the surface aswell ok?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I stripped the Benotto and found a lot more chrome (or chromelike) plating. There seems to be a decided shift in color from bright chrome to a more pewter but still very shiny. Is that nickle plating under the chrome? The raw steel looks really different.
Yes, nickel--and I think sometimes a base layer of copper first. From Wikipedia:
"Decorative chrome is designed to be aesthetically pleasing and durable. Thicknesses range from 0.002 to 0.02 mils (0.05 to 0.5 µm), however they are usually between 0.005 and 0.01 mils (0.13 and 0.25 µm). The chromium plating is usually applied over bright nickel plating. Typical base materials include steel, aluminium, plastic, copper alloys, and zinc alloys.[1] Decorative chrome plating is also very corrosion resistant and is often used on car parts, tools and kitchen utensils."

I think bad rechrome jobs are when they skip the base steps...
Old 05-30-2017, 08:13 AM
Kind of OK

It looks like they just chromed (or at least plated) the rear triangle. I'm going to see how much polishes up and go from there. The really silver section ends in a weird place on the stays and then, for some reason, begins again farther along. I've heard that the later Mexican Benottos were kinda slapped together.

Last edited by Lewis Moon; 05-30-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:51 PM

nickel

I love my nickel plated bike. I asked to have it--many bikes were nickel plated--back in the day
Nice patina over time, does not pit like chrome
Some day--a copper plated bike!