Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 AM

Campy help

Hello Gang.
We have three Campy Chorus 11 groups.
I was going to buy a new set of shifters as back ups when we travel in the RV for months at a time in case of failure.
But I see that 2015 or newer shifters are not compatible with older groups. I know that 2 of our groups are older than 2015. What can Ido? Also I am uncertain of the vintage of the third set. How do I tell which group is pre 2015 and which are newer?
Thanks.
Dan
Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Administrator

the quick way to tell is that the hoods are different on the newest generation. different texture and "CAMPAGNOLO" in white letters on the hood side.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:34 AM

I can't tell you this with certainty, but I've been told the only functional change in the levers is with the cable spool on the back side. If that is the case, you could upgrade to the 2015+ levers by changing out the right hand spool for the earlier style.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 AM

As for rear der.

Pre 2015: Stop screws are philips and located on the front plate

After: Stop screws are insex and located next to the tension adj.

Shifters have different hoods but those can be changed ofc.

Pre 2015: Have white print on levers

After changes the shifters have a white box with chorus logo in black.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Le foot View Post
Hello Gang.
We have three Campy Chorus 11 groups.
I was going to buy a new set of shifters as back ups when we travel in the RV for months at a time in case of failure.
But I see that 2015 or newer shifters are not compatible with older groups. I know that 2 of our groups are older than 2015. What can Ido? Also I am uncertain of the vintage of the third set. How do I tell which group is pre 2015 and which are newer?
Thanks.
Dan
Not true, compatible...I have measured the rear spools and the only difference appears to be the color of the spool.

Middle is 2014 and older, RH is 2015 and newer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1252 copy 3.jpg (20.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Administrator

i can confirm that in practice, an Athena-11 shifter perfectly shifts a potenza RD, so that's the old gen and new gen playing nicely together.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
the quick way to tell is that the hoods are different on the newest generation. different texture and "CAMPAGNOLO" in white letters on the hood side.

That confirms all groups are pre-2105. I had a shifter fail a little while ago. Campy wouldnt rebuild it because it was out of warrantee. (Didn't seem customer friendly) So I gave it to the LBS to repair. They sent it off to a place in Minn. I think. Cost over $100!
Kinda maddening that I can't buy replacement shifters because they won't work with older bits. (According to Campy)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:29 PM

That was a s...ty move from them, never understood why and thats the reason I have not moved to 11 yet, I cant pay for the latest 11 but at the same time if something happens to a used brifter that will be a lot less money, i will be stuck with other parts than wont work with a newer shifter.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Isn't Old Potato a good guy to rebuild Campy stuff at reasonable prices?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:19 PM

The Campy shifters below Chorus are cheap and work fine. One of my bikes has Power Tq and I think it shifts fine...as good as Ultra. Won't dump gears....but hey.....Shimano guys like their stuff....and they won't dump either.

Don't sweat it.....have Old Patotoe fix them, or buy some cheap UK 11's shifters.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:17 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That confirms all groups are pre-2105. I had a shifter fail a little while ago. Campy wouldnt rebuild it because it was out of warrantee. (Didn't seem customer friendly) So I gave it to the LBS to repair. They sent it off to a place in Minn. I think. Cost over $100!
Kinda maddening that I can't buy replacement shifters because they won't work with older bits. (According to Campy)
Send it to me then. I buy assemblies and strip for parts plus not much inside to 'fail', kinda wonder what the issue was. Again, 2015+ shifters work fine with older rear ders and vice versa.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Send it to me then. I buy assemblies and strip for parts plus not much inside to 'fail', kinda wonder what the issue was. Again, 2015+ shifters work fine with older rear ders and vice versa.
I will do that the next time one fails, old one.
When I sent the last one out I thought they would just replace the spring for less than $50. But they ended up rebuilding the entire right shifter. $110. Seem d excessive since a new pair would be about $250.
I wonder why Campy says in big letters. NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRE 2015 COMPONENTS if it is. Doesn't make me want to upgrade. Instead makes me think to change to etap
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I will do that the next time one fails, old one.
When I sent the last one out I thought they would just replace the spring for less than $50. But they ended up rebuilding the entire right shifter. $110. Seem d excessive since a new pair would be about $250.
I wonder why Campy says in big letters. NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PRE 2015 COMPONENTS if it is. Doesn't make me want to upgrade. Instead makes me think to change to etap
Believe what you wish, they also said 10s rear ders weren't compatible with 9s shifters(they are)..what spring failed in what year lever?

In spite of some of this, imho, there are better choices than the one mentioned. Members of the corporation 'might' say things differently from those in the trenches , what they actually see and do.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 PM

Somewhat related; do post 2015 hoods fit on pre 2015 levers? The new ones are supposed to be more grippy and the ones on my 2010 chorus aren't cutting it.