Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM
n - 1

Compass Bon Jon Pass tires - Bead too loose?

I bought some Bon Jon Pass tires last week and mounted them up to Stan's Grail wheels. It was nice and tight and set up tubeless really easy. On the first proper ride, I managed to cut the sidewall, so I had to tube it up to get home. I noticed it was super easy to get the tire unmounted, then remounted without any use of tools. It was a bit concerning, running it tubeless. Burps, or worse, the bead coming unseated lingers in the back of my head.

Those of you that have BJP's mounted tubeless, has this been your experience as well? Does the bead stretch this much?

Also, one other question. The gash on the sidewall is about 4-5mm. I went home and stitched it up, then put a patch on the inside. I was thinking of still running it tubeless (moving it to rear tire). I'm thinking this would be ok, but I'd like to test it out first. It currently has a tube in there to get that patch to stick really well. I'll probably move it to the rear wheel today. Any issue you see with this? (as long as air pressure holds).

EDIT: The sidewall cut was no fault of the tire. I was riding through some (*sharp) shale rock. I had no choice but to go through it, and was surprised the rear tire suffered no cuts. It was some pretty rough stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BJP.jpg (59.5 KB, 517 views)

Last edited by p nut; 05-08-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Yes, the bead was super loose for me too compared to Specialized Trigger and Hutchinson Fusion on the same rims (both of which are LOCKED in there.. requiring a fair amount of work to break the bead! The Compass basically just flop right off.)

They also blew off the rims at 65+ PSI.. so I was real careful to keep the pressure low. I never had an issue keeping it below 60 PSI.

Disappointing the latest batch has not improved the bead situation, as I really love the ride and there's nothing comparable!

PS, I'd never ride that tire you tore, that is pretty severe

Last edited by dem; 05-08-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 05-08-2017, 02:56 PM

I would not ride that tire again. Cheap as I am....
Old 05-08-2017, 03:13 PM

I setup mine tubeless on HED Belgium +'s and it wouldn't seat with 2 layers of stans tape. The bead just seemed it didn't promote a tight enough seal. I had a total of 5 layers of stans tape and it eventually sealed.

I've tried several tubeless ready tires on the Belgium +'s, all of which seated just fine with one layer of stans tape.

Second go around, I removed the tire to put a new batch of sealant and upon reinflation the bead no longer sealed. I assume the bead may have stretched over time?

Ultimately, yes I do think the bead on BJP's aren't that great.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM
n - 1

I'm sad to hear that this isn't an isolated case. That's too bad.

The "fragile" sidewalls, I could live with, since I was on a trail I really shouldn't have been with this bike. But the loose bead, I can't handle.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:09 PM

This happened with Barlow Pass tires to a rider at the Chino Grinder this past Saturday, not far into the ride. Riding over sharp rocks like the OP did is one thing, which New Mexico has an unavoidable amount of, but a stick?? I'm not sold on Compass tires right now. At all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (68.7 KB, 451 views)

Last edited by YesNdeed; 05-08-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:46 PM

Orange seal should seal that up no prob! 😂
In all seriousness I mounted mine w 2 layers stans tape on Belgium+ w exactly 2oz of orange seal. Zero issues many miles. Idk about the stretch I haven't had to remove them. Interesting thread.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Are those tires officially rated "tubeless compatible"? If not then it's taking a chance by not tubing up.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:03 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
This happened with Barlow Pass tires to a rider at the Chino Grinder this past Saturday, not far into the ride. Riding over sharp rocks like the OP did is one thing, which New Mexico has an unavoidable amount of, but a stick?? I'm not sold on Compass tires right now. At all.
To be fair, I have seen sticks go through truck and ATV tires, off road. Sharp stick at the right angle could mean death to any bike tire, too, I'd assume.

2metalhips - yes, Bon Jon Pass' have always been "tubeless compatible."
Old 05-08-2017, 05:05 PM

The bead is most definitely tubeless compatible, but they are not "Tubeless Ready" as in, air tight - they require sealant to be air tight.

However, these tires make no claim to having sidewall protection. Other than the standard "spun" casing, they have no kevlar puncture belt or kevlar bead-to-bead casing protection. This is what leads to the great ride quality, this is a feature, not a bug.

Maxxis re-fuse is your tire if you want a big, tubeless near-slick with Kevlar bead-to-bead protection (and obviously will not ride nearly as well as the Compass!)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I would not ride that tire again. Cheap as I am....
Here is the stitch job. Feels pretty solid. I'm sure it'll actually seal up. I might try it out for a bit on slower rides to see. On the rear, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (55.9 KB, 424 views)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
To be fair, I have seen sticks go through truck and ATV tires, off road. Sharp stick at the right angle could mean death to any bike tire, too, I'd assume.
This. It's a risk you have to weigh yourself. And, yes, it really effing sucks to FUBAR a $65 tire in short order, but it doesn't make it the tire's fault. I've been there.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 PM

I have BJP's on Grails. They went on easily with no tools and no real force. Haven't had any issues with burping but the rear one weeped so much that they sent me a replacement. Front has been fine tubeless but does also occasionally weep. I put a tube in the replacement rear to get it seated and never got around to taking it out. Haven't had any reason to dismount them yet so no idea on stretching.
No way I'd ride your tire!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Extra light blackwalls are garbage. Absolute garbage. You should unload all your new ones right away.

Message me.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Extra light blackwalls are garbage. Absolute garbage. You should unload all your new ones right away.

Message me.
Please consider donating to the poor....
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=199426&page=3