Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwla View Post
This looks fantastic, and I live right on the minuteman bike path. My roadie is in pieces now but I'll see if I can fix it up for this Saturday!
It would be great if you could join us!

The weather predictions are a little bit questionable at the moment, but the date is far enough away that I'm not too concerned yet. If there is a chance of precipitation, Ti Designs and I will confer early Saturday morning and then make the decision on whether to have the ride. It might be helpful if you could pm me with the best way to contact you in case we need to cancel.

Hope to see you Saturday!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:16 PM

Alright, now that you've had some time to digest your turkey, stuffing, pie and wine, you'd better start thinking about how to burn some of that off!

The weather predictions have improved dramatically over the last 24 hours, and now we're looking at temps in the 40s and partly sunny. That's pretty darn good for the last weekend in November.

Send me or Ti Designs a pm if you're planning to come--that way we'll know to look for you Saturday morning. We'll pull out of the Bedford Depot a few minutes after 8am. 60+ miles and we should be back at the Depot at about 1pm.

Hope to see you Saturday!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Since we've had the warmest February day EVER today, it's time to prepare for the first Next Tour of 2017!

We're going to schedule it for Saturday, March 4th at 1pm. Like usual, we'll depart from the Bedford Depot at the end of the Minuteman Bikeway(the parking lot is at 80 Loomis St.) We'll probably ride about 50 miles, since I've only arranged babysitting till 5pm! I think Ti Designs wants me to lead the ride towards Harvard, MA, so I'll come up with some good roads for us to follow.

Bear in mind that this will be the first weekend in March, so there's no intention of this being a hammerfest. Come join us and get some good base miles in, while enjoying good company!

Please pm me and/or Ti Designs if you'd like to join us.

Here's a link to the thread in the Rides forum: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...06#post2078106
Old 02-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Weather is looking a bit more "seasonal" for Saturday, meaning right around freezing for a high. The 1pm start should make things a little more comfortable than our more usual early morning departures.

There are photos of some of our previous rides earlier in this thread, and you can find others here: https://edsasslercoaching.com/rides/the-next-tour/

Hope to see some of you on Saturday!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Unfortunately, the "seasonal" weather predictions morphed into a predicted high of 20 degrees with 20-25 mph winds gusting to beyond 40 mph. And since this was supposed to be a ride that people would enjoy in a non-maschistic manner, Ti Designs and I have decided that we're going to postpone the ride.

I will update this thread once we determine what the new date for the Next Tour will be.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest in riding with us. Hopefully, we'll get to do it soon!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Alright everyone, the weather should be more reliably pleasant now, so it's time for another edition of the "Next Tour!"

It's going to be on Saturday, April 22nd, leaving the Bedford Depot (the end of the Minuteman Bikeway, parking lot at 80 Loomis St.) at 8am. We're going to be modest with our expectations, since it's still early in the year: 50-55 miles, and I'll guess something in the vicinity of a 16mph pace.

Did you know that there's a (defunct) Shaker Village in the area? We'll show it to you along with the funniest/most dangerous town line sprint around! We'll even reach Bliss in the town of Groton...the bakery. I can't guarantee that you'll reach it as a state of mind, but we'll try!

Depending on how many times Ti Designs wants to stop for baked goods (there's another good place in Westford), we should be back in Bedford between noon and 12:30pm.

I'm hoping that we're providing enough advance warning that a number of Paceliners will be able to arrange to join us. Come celebrate Spring with us!

Please pm me and/or Ti Designs if you think you might be able to attend the ride

Here's a link to the thread in the events section of the forum: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=189306&page=3
Old 04-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Checkin in with the boss.. the ride parameters sound about perfect for my semi-late start to the season. Hooray for late season snow.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Checkin in with the boss.. the ride parameters sound about perfect for my semi-late start to the season. Hooray for late season snow.
I hope the boss grants you permission! And yeah, the weather was a little bit wacky around here this winter/early spring.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 AM

Looks like I'm in...
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Looks like I'm in...
Brilliant! Glad you'll be able to ride with us again.

And hey, do you know anything about the new cafe that's opening on Loomis St.?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Just a week till the upcoming edition of the Next Tour!

Ti Designs and I rode much of the route on Thursday--Spring is in the air! We saw a great blue heron, some hawks, and even some new green on some of the hillsides. We're looking forward to riding with some fellow Paceliners!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:00 AM

The new Cafe is called Short Stop Cafe and is maybe 200 yards from the end of the bike path. I haven't been in yet, but it will be a good option in the future for folks looking for coffee, etc.. on rides. However they are not open on Saturdays till May, I think they are still in the process of opening up, so they've got limited hours right now. I haven't been in but from what I've read their food is going to be focused on waffles.

I think I'm actually tentative at this point, I'm really sick, and I've been riding through it, the dry weather has really messed up my sinuses. If I get better in the next few days to I can get back on my bike I'll be there next weekend but I have a feeling I'm going to land in the doctor's office with a sinus infection this week. It has been incredibly dry here.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The new Cafe is called Short Stop Cafe and is maybe 200 yards from the end of the bike path. I haven't been in yet, but it will be a good option in the future for folks looking for coffee, etc.. on rides. However they are not open on Saturdays till May, I think they are still in the process of opening up, so they've got limited hours right now. I haven't been in but from what I've read their food is going to be focused on waffles.

I think I'm actually tentative at this point, I'm really sick, and I've been riding through it, the dry weather has really messed up my sinuses. If I get better in the next few days to I can get back on my bike I'll be there next weekend but I have a feeling I'm going to land in the doctor's office with a sinus infection this week. It has been incredibly dry here.
Yeah, I got similar information on the cafe from a friend of mine, and I guess it's being run by a couple who live in town and they are still in the process of hiring staff.

Good luck recuperating! But it's funny how different our perceptions are...I know we haven't had any rain for most of the last week, but I haven't been thinking of it as "dry" around here at all. I think that's mostly because our sump pump has been cycling on every few minutes for the last two weeks, and our side yard is kind of a swamp right now.

Hope you're well enough to join us on Saturday!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 AM

I pay a lot of attention to humidity.. we've had a run of 20% humidity days, pretty dry. There have been fire warnings every day for about a week.

We have a humidifier in our furnace but the temp is pretty much just right so that we don't really get the heat or the A/C running, and we got some water in our basement so the humidity is high in the basement.. so the house ends up dry cause the humidifier isn't running. Makes for a lot of bloody noses for me this week since I got sick.

It would be nice if the new Cafe ended up having some quality coffee, not really something I need since I live down the street but Bedford doesn't really have anything particularly good for coffee.

Quote:
... High fire danger again today...

Although temperatures will not be as hot as they were yesterday,
warm and dry conditions are once again expected today.

Low humidity combined with gusty northwest winds and very dry
surface fuels will result in high fire danger across
Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and northern Connecticut.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I pay a lot of attention to humidity.. we've had a run of 20% humidity days, pretty dry. There have been fire warnings every day for about a week.

We have a humidifier in our furnace but the temp is pretty much just right so that we don't really get the heat or the A/C running, and we got some water in our basement so the humidity is high in the basement.. so the house ends up dry cause the humidifier isn't running. Makes for a lot of bloody noses for me this week since I got sick.

It would be nice if the new Cafe ended up having some quality coffee, not really something I need since I live down the street but Bedford doesn't really have anything particularly good for coffee.
Sounds frustrating! I hope things are improving for you and that you'll be well enough to ride with us on Saturday.

Speaking of which, consider this a reminder that the Next Tour will be leaving the Bedford Depot at 8am on the morning of Saturday, April 22nd! Further details are available earlier in this thread.

So far, it looks like we're going to have a pretty nice turnout. We've got at least 4-5 Paceliners who are expecting to come, three of my local, Bedford, friends will be there, and I imagine there will be several more from Ti Designs' other groups as well.

Put another way, we could have bikes by all these local builders: IF, Zanconato, Firefly, Parlee, Seven, and Merlin! Plus at least one Serotta, a Marinoni, and who knows what else.

Looking forward to Saturday's ride! Once again, please send me and/or Ti Designs a pm if you'll be meeting us so that we know to look for you.