Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumphigher View Post
I think the work they did for me was actually fairly complex, though of course not as much as what you had done. FWIW I would use them again.

I am not slamming them based on the work they did for you. Just on everything that happened for me. I'm glad you had a good experience. But as you can see by the pictures I posted, my buddies frame is trashed. It cost me $1500- ME!, I had to pay for it cause I sure as hell wasn't gonna make my friend pay for it as I sent it off for him on things I had read off bike rumor.

And after talking to a couple other people, it would've cost about $350-450 to have it done somewhere else like Calfee or Phoenix.

What i've been told, it was a relatively easy fix. The mill out the bb shel insert and treat the frame and shell and press in/epoxy a new one in.

My problems, why were things like the downtube and headtube even touched??? It was the bottom bracket that needed fixed. Why was the downtube sanded down to the bare carbon? Why was the headtube painted or touched or anything? The frame was brand new. I have the pictures of it before it left. I have the pictures after it came back both times. Massive differences.

Like I said, glad they helped you out. But they screwed me sideways without lube!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 PM

I don't normally post to this forum, but I echo the experience shared by @SoCalSteve and @SalesGuy as far as Ruckus Composites is concerned... here's my experience crossreferenced to the WeightWeenies forum...
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...20136#p1320136
Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
I don't normally post to this forum, but I echo the experience shared by @SoCalSteve and @SalesGuy as far as Ruckus Composites is concerned... here's my experience crossreferenced to the WeightWeenies forum...
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...20136#p1320136

WOW! Sorry you had such a S!!T job from them.

I just want to point out, the chainstay was damaged, right? Only the non-drive chainstay?

HOW THE F DID THEY GET GARBAGE ON THE TOPTUBE???????

Seriously! I don't get how they do that. And they did it to my buddies too. Messed up the toptube, downtube, headtube and stays. When all they needed to touch was the BB. I don't get it with them.

And I can't comment on their page on Rumor anymore. They blocked me. But seriously, how many other people need to get scammed or their stuff ruined before someone calls them out?

Sorry you got screwed.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Well... the good news is that it can be fixed at home... the white bubbles is a problem with humidity and pressure in the paint gun, my best guess?? they are running air straight from the compressor and as you might know a lot of water gets stuck inside of the tanks just waiting to come out. Rookie mistake. And add maybe a problem in the mix of clear/hardener aswell... rookie mistake.

The over spray well that's another rookie mistake, just put some paper around and use a big aribrush or a tiny 10 bucks detail gun and good to go, just paint what is needed and blend the best you can...

I havent touch that but the fix is not as bad as you might thing... if the overspray is little you can :

- car paint thinner, just wet a towel and pass it over the over spray should go away...
- A second way to fix that is to use paint polisher but the good stuff... heavy diamond cut. if you go with the polisher it will remove the over spray but you might end with a polisher clear... in that case you might have to sand the surface...

- 3rd way... 2000 grit wet sand paper and just scuff the whole frame that will even the surface and you might end up with a more even matte color. Since I dont know what exactly what they did to finish the frame I would play safe with the sand paper if that frame was mine.

I would call them and ask them what they used because there's at least two ways to get a satin clear... use a satin agent in the clear or just sand the clear on top, I was ruckus I would have sand over just because is cheaper and faster.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:32 PM

Ok, here's the damage before I sent it in...
Left chainstay with impact area circled in chalk, likely from the edge of the curb on the side of the road.

Closeup...

____________________-

And the following is what I posted today over on Weight Weenies. May as well post it here properly as opposed to just a link...
Ok... so time to update the repair status of my C59. I am sorry to say I cannot recommend Ruckus Composites. I didn't send it off to them until February 23rd. After talking to them on the phone and specifically asking if they knew what matte clear finish that Colnago uses, they said no, but once they had it in hand they were sure they could match it. They also sent this in an email after I sent them pics of the damage..."this is something we can completely repair for you and have it look great! We match the weave and graphics and can nail the matte."

Plus, I spoke with Colnago America and they said they had good results with Ruckus as well. So, rather than stick with tried and true Calfee, I decided to give them a chance. I sent it off. They received it the next day and sent an email saying "We will be able to get this done in no time".

Once they had checked it all out on the following Monday, they informed me that the chainstay was indeed the only damage sustained which was good to hear. I did not hear from them again until March 30, when I got an email saying it was done. I paid them and they shipped it out and I got it the next day.

The packing was horrific. I had taken great pains to ensure that the frame was solidly embedded in the box upon shipping with paper, foam, etc. all around. They seemed to just jam it in the box without making sure the seat tube was well below the plane of the top of the box, a spot that can be very prone to damage during the shipping process.

Here's a short video of how I received it... top of seat tube above the plane of the top of the box... not good...

So, once I was relieved that the seat tube hadn't been damaged, I proceeded to pull it out of the box. I immediately felt the roughness of the top tube which I know was very smooth when I sent it away. ***.... I thought. Overspray??... are you kidding me. Nope, definitely overspray. Not only that, they hadn't even removed the Project Number of the job that was still on masking tape on the top tube. Not only was there a fine overspray on the top tube and headtube, there was some not so fine junk on the top tube as well... very visible globules of something...
While you can't really see the fine overspray in the pics, trust me, it was rough and noticeable to the touch. But you can definitely see the globules of crap on the top tube...
First, the project number still on the top tube... really?...

Then, the globules of crap on the top tube.... not to mention the roughness from overspray on the top tube and headtube which you can't see, but can feel...

Well, after receiving it on the Friday, I decided to wait until Monday to call them as I was pretty disgusted at that point and thought a cool down period would be wise. So, I sent them some pics on Monday morning and got an email back saying he was "out running errands" but once he got back to the office he'd pull up the pics and get back to me with guidance etc. I fully expected a return phone call that afternoon. I received nothing until Friday afternoon, and it was an email. What followed was a series of emails that was professionally quite unnerving really, and they wanted me to send the frame back, but my confidence level was so low at this point I decided to leave well enough alone.

Now, remember that I had specifically asked up front about the matte finish etc., at which time they were brimming with confidence that they could match it. Well... what do you think... is this a close match?...

It's shiny, and super smooth... like a semi-gloss matte if I had to describe it. In any case, it does not resemble the original finish at all. I wasn't expecting perfection, but after talking to them, I was expecting better than this. Plus the overspray on the top tube and the headtube. Do they not know how to mask properly. Really quite unbelievable.

Also, I mentioned that the packing job is as much a reflection on their quality of work as the repair itself, since even if the repair was perfect if the frame comes back damaged as a result of a very poor packing job (which it very well could have in this case), then that is on them. I said I certainly hope the guy who packed it is made aware of it etc., as it really does raise the question as to the kinds of people they are hiring and the training they get. The first response was "I don't know who packed it". I said "What?... you have like 6 employees there... can't you just poke your head out and say 'Who packed the C59 on Thursday, come over here, I've got a video to go over with you'." Basically the level of customer service and professionalism at this point was completely out the window.

Now, up front I had mentioned that this particular bike had garnered a fair amount of attention online and that I would be showing off their work when all was said and done if that was ok, hoping this might lead to perhaps some extra attention to achieve perfection. If this was it, then that's the last piece of work Ruckus will ever receive from me. Stick with Calfee.

Oh, here's a thread from the Paceline forum which I was directed to by someone after I had already sent my frame off. I wish I had seen this thread before, because the comments made in it by @SoCalSteve and @Salesguy pretty much echo my experience as well...
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=197262
Old 05-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Well... the good news is that it can be fixed at home... the white bubbles is a problem with humidity and pressure in the paint gun, my best guess?? they are running air straight from the compressor and as you might know a lot of water gets stuck inside of the tanks just waiting to come out. Rookie mistake. And add maybe a problem in the mix of clear/hardener aswell... rookie mistake.

The over spray well that's another rookie mistake, just put some paper around and use a big aribrush or a tiny 10 bucks detail gun and good to go, just paint what is needed and blend the best you can...

I havent touch that but the fix is not as bad as you might thing... if the overspray is little you can :

- car paint thinner, just wet a towel and pass it over the over spray should go away...
- A second way to fix that is to use paint polisher but the good stuff... heavy diamond cut. if you go with the polisher it will remove the over spray but you might end with a polisher clear... in that case you might have to sand the surface...

- 3rd way... 2000 grit wet sand paper and just scuff the whole frame that will even the surface and you might end up with a more even matte color. Since I dont know what exactly what they did to finish the frame I would play safe with the sand paper if that frame was mine.

I would call them and ask them what they used because there's at least two ways to get a satin clear... use a satin agent in the clear or just sand the clear on top, I was ruckus I would have sand over just because is cheaper and faster.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but "rookie mistakes"?.... uh, that doesn't cut it. I paid top dollar for what I was expecting top workmanship and handling of my frame. I actually used a clay bar myself for most of the overspray, and had to work at those bubbles quite a bit beforehand to get most of it off. I sure has heck wasn't going to let them touch it any further. But as @SalesGuy mentioned earlier, the repair was limited to a spot on the left chainstay. Haven't these guys learned to mask off the rest of the frame properly. Had I attempted the repair myself, or let a friend do it, I'd say... sure, rookie mistake. But not when you pay top dollar for a professional job.

Next time... Calfee gets my business back.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:51 PM

Oh the clay... totally forgot about it... good you figure it out a fast fix, yeah man... even if they did not mask, at least do not over spray the whole thing and that makes me think.... probably your frame was somewhere in the booth when they were clearing other frame? Either way... I do get what you are saying, I would be disappointed aswell.

Hope everything goes better from now on.

ps: those bubbles you have to sand them. No other way to fix that.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
Vendor

My issue is pretty simple....THE SCREWED UP! Not just in the messing up the mismatching of the clearcoat style on the chainstay, but in the packing, the communication and of course in added clear or whatever on the TT.

HOW!?!?!?

How can they do that? I mean, I just don't get it.

And it makes me worry for people who had something really bad damage wise repaired. How are we to know the repair is sound? That's my biggest worry and reason why I don't point them to Ruckus anymore. I mean, how could one given all the negatives?

The clearcoat issues you have are fixable and it sounds like you did. But the point is you shouldn't have had too! You paid them for a job and they didn't do the job. Not even close to what you asked and they said they could.

I read your post over at the WW forum. So I knew what you went thru when I commented. And it still shocks me they get any business. I mean, do people not check things out? But then again, I believed the hype on Bikerumor as well so I was an idiot too I guess.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 PM

@SalesGuy... yes, I did a pretty good check around before sending it anywhere and in hindsight should have stuck with the tried and true Calfee. But I had heard a couple good things about Ruckus, or at least not anything bad, and wanted to give them a try. By the time this thread was in progress my bike was already in their hands. So be it.

@Ultraman6970... yes, the bubbles were a bit of work to get out, but I did the best I could and I think it's ok now.

To be fair, I think the actual structural repair is sound and in talking to them they layered it back and built the chainstay back up far from where the actual crack was visible, which was quite a small area in retrospect. At least I have my frame back, and I'm not really concerned about the repair itself as I think it looks ok. But man... sloppy processes overall, including customer service.

Last edited by Calnago; 05-29-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
@SalesGuy... yes, I did a pretty good check around before sending it anywhere and in hindsight should have stuck with the tried and true Calfee. But I had heard a couple good things about Ruckus, or at least not anything bad, and wanted to give them a try. By the time this thread was in progress my bike was already in their hands. So be it.

@Ultraman6970... yes, the bubbles were a bit of work to get out, but I did the best I could and I think it's ok now.

To be fair, I think the actual structural repair is sound and in talking to them they layered it back and built the chainstay back up far from where the actual crack was visible, which was quite a small area in retrospect. At least I have my frame back, and I'm not really concerned about the repair itself as I think it looks ok. But man... sloppy processes overall, including customer service.
This is how I felt in the end. I was so relieved just to get my frame back, I didn't even care how badly they messed up. In the whole process with them, I truly lost all confidence in their ability to do a good job or even a halfway decent job. I just wanted my frame back!!!

I'll say it again, I think drugs or alcohol fuel their sloppiness and lack of follow through. Not sure what else it could be.

And again, they did refund all my money, but I would have happily paid the agreed amount had the job been done properly and in the time frame they promised. Neither of these happened.

I cannot imagine how they stay in business. I don't wish ill will upon anyone, but maybe they need to try their hand in a different business venture.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Out of curiosity how is replacing a decal fairly complex?

Do you know what they did and didn't do on my Ottrott? What they should have done and what they didn't do and how long it took them to mess things up? And, the mistakes they made that couldn't be fixed?
All due respect, you've now spent 2+ months turning this into a Ruckus defamation thread without any detail about what did or didn't happen to your bike. I've had work done by Ruckus, they're a local company to me, and the overall experience wasn't what is give 5 stars - but if I was going to spend the energy to bash them, and expect people to take it seriously, I'd at least share specifics. Otherwise it's just gossip.

If this IS going to be a Ruckus thrashing thread, let's at least do it properly like Calnago and Salesguy have demonstrated.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
All due respect, you've now spent 2+ months turning this into a Ruckus defamation thread without any detail about what did or didn't happen to your bike. I've had work done by Ruckus, they're a local company to me, and the overall experience wasn't what is give 5 stars - but if I was going to spend the energy to bash them, and expect people to take it seriously, I'd at least share specifics. Otherwise it's just gossip.

If this IS going to be a Ruckus thrashing thread, let's at least do it properly like Calnago and Salesguy have demonstrated.
If you feel the other 2 gentlemen haven't trashed Ruckus enough, I'd be happy to add another nail...

I crashed my Ottrott, broke both the top tube and down tube. Sent pictures to Ruckus, they said they could fix it in 4 weeks. I specced the OEM tubes from Mike Lopez and had them sent to Portland.

I asked Ruckus in a very detailed email to remove the broken tubes and reinstall the new tubes. To refinish the Ti, to refinish the carbon ST rear end, to add a DI2 hole on the non drive side down tube ( I even put a mark where I wanted the hole to be drilled ), to re-decal and refinish the new tubes. They said no problem, all will be done to your satisfaction in the time promised.

Great!!!

First issue, they never measured the existing tubes, tossed them and asked me for the Serotta build sheet to recreate the same geometry. I didn't have this any longer. They never asked me if I knew the geometry, they said they would do it to a " general standard " their wording. When they wrote this, I called them up LIVID!!! How could they throw away the tubes without measuring them first and why didn't they ask me if I knew the geometry!!! Of course I knew the geometry! Every last centimeter and angle. How could they just guess???

After that, things devolved. My confidence in them shaken. I won't even go into the fact that they had to send the tubing and lugs back down to Mike Lopez in San Diego because they couldn't figure out if the diameters were correct or not. Yeah, it was bad!!!

So, a couple months passed, I took a trip to Asia and on return expected my bike frame back. No, it was weeks later that it finally showed up. And when it did, oh boy!!!

1.) the Serotta logo on the down tube was crooked on both sides
2.) there was pooling of clear coat around all the lugs, very visible and very ugly
3.) they did not refinish the carbon rear end at all as promised
4.) they drilled the DI2 hole on the wrong side and in the wrong place from where I had marked it.
5.) they deformed the lugs when they removed the old carbon tubing

I could not believe that they let the frame leave their shop without going over it with a fine tooth comb, especially after they had it for many months. The obviously didn't. If they had bothered to look over their work, they wouldn't have let it leave their shop.

I sent it back to them. They promised to fix all the problems. They said 4 days. It was 5 weeks. It came back with most of the issues fixed. But, they didn't fill up the hole they drilled on the wrong side of the frame and in the wrong place. And, they wouldn't even tell me they didn't do this on the phone. They told me via text after they shipped the frame back. Oh, and the lugs are still deformed. Guess it's hard to fix Ti after you mess it up ( so don't mess it up in the first place )!!!

So, all in all, a very bad experience with horrible customer service and a hole left in my bike frame in the wrong place and them not wanting to deal with it any longer.

So, there you have it. No gossip, no innuendo, just facts. I have pictures of some of the screw ups, but I have documentation for all of it in the form of many, many emails.

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 05-30-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post

I don't like the defamation thread comment but I do get your take on it. And even more so given they are local to you. And I get it. I take a ton of exception when someone slams my guys.

I don't think I was trying to defame them. I mean, i am a customer who had a problem. The problem didn't get fixed the first, second or third time they had the frame.

So I don't think my being a customer is defaming them. I am just a disgruntled customer. And I am warning other people on here about my experiences with them. I don't think I am defaming them. If I had no experience with them, then yes I would be.

My reason for posting it, mind you after someone else mentioned them, was to warn fellow forum members about my experience. And given the people on this forum REALLY LOVE their bikes, I figured they would want to know.

Thank you for mentioning me and Calnago in the comment of doing it right tho.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
If you feel the other 2 gentlemen haven't trashed Ruckus enough, I'd be happy to add another nail...

I crashed my Ottrott, broke both the top tube and down tube. Sent pictures to Ruckus, they said they could fix it in 4 weeks. I specced the OEM tubes from Mike Lopez and had them sent to Portland.

I asked Ruckus in a very detailed email to remove the broken tubes and reinstall the new tubes. To refinish the Ti, to refinish the carbon ST rear end, to add a DI2 hole on the non drive side down tube ( I even put a mark where I wanted the hole to be drilled ), to re-decal and refinish the new tubes. They said no problem, all will be done to your satisfaction in the time promised.

Great!!!

First issue, they never measured the existing tubes, tossed them and asked me for the Serotta build sheet to recreate the same geometry. I didn't have this any longer. They never asked me if I knew the geometry, they said they would do it to a " general standard " their wording. When they wrote this, I called them up LIVID!!! How could they throw away the tubes without measuring them first and why didn't they ask me if I knew the geometry!!! Of course I knew the geometry! Every last centimeter and angle. How could they just guess???

After that, things devolved. My confidence in them shaken. I won't even go into the fact that they had to send the tubing and lugs back down to Mike Lopez in San Diego because they couldn't figure out if the diameters were correct or not. Yeah, it was bad!!!

So, a couple months passed, I took a trip to Asia and on return expected my bike frame back. No, it was weeks later that it finally showed up. And when it did, oh boy!!!

1.) the Serotta logo on the down tube was crooked on both sides
2.) there was pooling of clear coat around all the lugs, very visible and very ugly
3.) they did not refinish the carbon rear end at all as promised
4.) they drilled the DI2 hole on the wrong side and in the wrong place from where I had marked it.
5.) they deformed the lugs when they removed the old carbon tubing

I could not believe that they let the frame leave their shop without going over it with a fine tooth comb, especially after they had it for many months. The obviously didn't. If they had bothered to look over their work, they wouldn't have let it leave their shop.

I sent it back to them. They promised to fix all the problems. They said 4 days. It was 5 weeks. It came back with most of the issues fixed. But, they didn't fill up the hole they drilled on the wrong side of the frame and in the wrong place. And, they wouldn't even tell me they didn't do this on the phone. They told me via text after they shipped the frame back. Oh, and the lugs are still deformed. Guess it's hard to fix Ti after you mess it up ( so don't mess it up in the first place )!!!

So, all in all, a very bad experience with horrible customer service and a hole left in my bike frame in the wrong place and them not wanting to deal with it any longer.

So, there you have it. No gossip, no innuendo, just facts. I have pictures of some of the screw ups, but I have documentation for all of it in the form of many, many emails.

WOW!

just wow.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Now we're talking.

I can only imagine how livid I would be had my experience been nearly what you 3 dealt with. My process took a lot longer than quoted, but the ultimate product was one my wife is super pleased with. I'm starting to wonder if the difference here is the ability to speak face-to-face.

My real point with the last comment was that forums like this should serve as a resource to folks and hints aren't as helpful (I'm a very pragmatic person ). Specifics, and pictures, like you guys have now laid out - should absolutely serve as a resource to folks when they're looking to have their baby repaired and - maybe - give Ruckus a wake up call (though I'm not sure I'd hold my breath on that one).

Sorry again that you all went through such a shyt show. Thanks for taking the time to share.