Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydhest View Post
Looking forward to a Paceline NYC ride when my road bike is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Anyway, congrats on successful move, and hopefully there will be a NYC Paceline ride
If there is a NYC Paceline ride, I am calling dibs on lantern rouge. That will be me. Mine. I called it here first. Everybody'll want me to have that job anyway 'cos it'll be too much work to go slower than me.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:51 PM

to the op, congrats on finding a space in the city!

ain't nothin' like it on earth. just spent a couple days as a tourist there, and really longed to move back (we live in the nearby 'burbs). esp. when i saw riders zipping by.

for whatever it's worth, i made out just fine with 3 bikes in our small space. well, wife was "patient" about it. sorta.

the hard when i lived there part was cleaning dirty bikes in winter. pain in the arse, it is. most of the time it was warm soapy bucket of water, a toothbrush, bottle of simple green, a dry rag (for drying it) and 2 full waterbottles to rinse things off. all performed after 10 pm outside well off to the side of the building & outta the way, so as to not piss off the other residents and cause problems for the doormen. they were always cool about it.

and worst case, if i couldn't get outside, take off front wheel and put whole bike in shower. man that really sucked, because while much easier to clean the bike, it took a good 20-30 minutes cleaning the shower & tub from dirt & grease.

3 bikes for me was def. the limit, otherwise things looked kinda silly. at the time, 2 were mine, 1 was wife's (mounted only on trainer), so they weren't ALL mine....
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I am coming from a row house in DC that I own, so drilling into the ceiling to create bike storage was no big deal. Here, I prefer not to damage walls. I thought it was a straightforward convo.
First, welcome!

On drilling, I have found in condos and coops I have owned and in apartments I have rented there is no drilling issue that a 20 to the super and each of the guys doing the work can't fix except for one. In one apartment I owned the ceiling was cement (a problem in 1980's and later buildings mainly). When you leave, another 20 to remove the hook and dab some spackle in the hole.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

Texas is open for business, everyone is welcome.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:58 PM
cnighbor2

OT A friend living

OT A friend living used his Kayak to get from seattle to Kirkland via Lake washington
Old 07-05-2017, 09:34 PM

Slowly coming along. Will be ready before long for a NY Paceline ride ... until then, four bikes is only slightly crazy ... right?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Slowly coming along. Will be ready before long for a NY Paceline ride ... until then, four bikes is only slightly crazy ... right?...
Looks about right to me (says the owner of 4 bikes)
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM

That looks awesome (and the bikes are rad). I don't care what anybody says; if you don't mind sacrificing some living space (and maybe looking slightly crazy to those who don't "get it"), I think it's eminently possible to have your cake and eat it, too -- i.e., city living need not necessarily doom a person to n=1.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 PM

You must be single. Or have a VERY understanding & supportive significant other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
That looks awesome (and the bikes are rad). I don't care what anybody says; if you don't mind sacrificing some living space (and maybe looking slightly crazy to those who don't "get it"), I think it's eminently possible to have your cake and eat it, too -- i.e., city living need not necessarily doom a person to n=1.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Looks about right to me (says the owner of 4 bikes)
+1 (says owner of 4 bikes )
Old 07-06-2017, 02:41 PM

Two of the four bikes shown are my wife's bikes. Yeah ... I am lucky.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:44 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by velofinds View Post
if you don't mind sacrificing some living space (and maybe looking slightly crazy to those who don't "get it"), I think it's eminently possible to have your cake and eat it, too -- i.e., city living need not necessarily doom a person to n=1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
You must be single. Or have a VERY understanding & supportive significant other.
Between the two of us my wife & I have six bicycles hanging in the Living Room of our Manhattan apartment. Shortly after we first moved in my wife brought an Interior Decorator over for some suggestions on how to improve [sic] our aesthetics. The ID's first comment was "You'll have to get rid of all those bikes, don't you have a garage or basement storage?"

The missus replied "We want our apartment to reflect who we are. The bikes are staying."
Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 AM

You sir are a lucky man. At one point I (oh I mean "we"...hah hah...) had 3 bikes in ~800 sq. ft., incl. one mounted on a trainer in front of t.v. in living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Between the two of us my wife & I have six bicycles hanging in the Living Room of our Manhattan apartment. Shortly after we first moved in my wife brought an Interior Decorator over for some suggestions on how to improve [sic] our aesthetics. The ID's first comment was "You'll have to get rid of all those bikes, don't you have a garage or basement storage?"

The missus replied "We want our apartment to reflect who we are. The bikes are staying."
Old 07-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

how are you storing? i have 4 in my brooklyn apartment, but i'm moving in w/ my boyfriend and need to move things around.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM

best hanging method is hooks screwed into a 2 by 4 at 18" intervals (may need to tweak with todays wide handlebars). you can mount this to your ceiling or drywall with whatever appropriate toggle bolts or anchors your space demands.