Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM

I have Bon Jons (extra or ultra-light...whatever they call them) and bought a tubeless kit thinking I'd go that route. After mounting I changed my mind though...yeah, they're a bit too loose. I've been using mine with 23c latex tubes...they feel awesome. I don't ride them offroad though...basically just big, plush road tires for me.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
you guys are crazy if you think compass tires suck...

yes, they are not the best tubeless tires, I will agree and can be somewhat fragile (the EL is, the normal on is not imo, never had any more problems than with any other tire).

Not ever having ridden the G-One, I cant really comment on a comparison but the many compass tires I have ridden all have been absolutely fantastic.
I'm personally Not saying they are bad at all. I've never had a better riding tire. My requirement is that they have to be tubeless. If they can't maintain tubeless integrity then I'm forced to explore other options. I'll will give a fresh set of bj's one more shot.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM

It seems the biggest factor between "they work A-OK tubeless" and "they are not up to the task of tubeless" is air pressure. At 35mm, there just isn't sufficient volume to get away with the lower pressures that seem to work out just fine.

I'm running Switchback Hill EL tubeless with Orange Seal and there is absolutely zero sidewall weeping and they hold pressure like a champ. The beads fit snug and pop into place confidently at about 35psi. But I am only running them at 25-30psi.

It seems that at pressures at or above 40psi the situation changes. Is it the higher pressure that is pushing the sealant through the sidewalls? It stands to reason that rim bead hooks would play a big role as well. The SBH snaps in confidently to Stan's Mk3 rims.

At over 190# I'm not inclined to attempt tubeless with my 700x32 Compass tires. I'll stick with latex tubes. But tubeless with the 27.5x2.0 tires is a winner.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:57 PM

sounds like Jan is aware of this problem.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...road-tubeless/
Old 05-30-2017, 01:07 PM

In the above referenced link, I'm not sure about this statement: "Using inner tubes inside your tire almost seems like a throwback to the 1950s".

Below that is the juxtaposed picture of the guy wearing knickers, next to the bike with the tire literally BTFO'd.

I'm going to say tubes are cool with me. Knickers...not so much!

Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek
Old 05-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etu View Post
sounds like Jan is aware of this problem.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...road-tubeless/

Anyone else think the tests in that blog post are the type of thing you'd expect to be done before releasing a product? It's not like running a tubeless compatible tire tubeless at not unreasonably high pressures is some crazy use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Just resurrecting this dated thread. Any more input/experience?

I'm quite tempted by the Bon Jon Pass; however, as I run tubeless only, I'm a bit concerned about everything I've read, both here and on other fora, about its tubeless issues. I run tubeless on all my bikes and have run tubeless compatible tires including IRC, Hutchinson, Schwalbe, and Panaracer -- never had a problem, even with road ones (25mm/28mm).

As a heavier rider (200+ lbs), I guess I'm a bit apprehensive about BJP's tubeless issues. I read Jan's blog regarding his view of BJP's lack of "volume" -- well, given my personal experience with much narrower tires, I feel differently about it. That said, if BJP's sidewalls are just too thin (standard version) for the sake of suppleness, then I can understand the volume issue.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM
n - 1

I took the BJP's off a couple weeks ago to run some more road friendly 700x28's. When I took them off, it seemed like the bead had stretched even more. Again, no tool needed--easily popped off the Stans Grail rims. My MTB tires (mostly Maxxis and Bontrager) are much tighter fitting and typically need tools to mount. One tire is from the old batch and one is new. Fit is about the same. When I put them back on, I am putting tubes in. I can't trust them to hold. Zipping down hills, it'd always be in the back of my mind.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Same experience.. when I pulled them to put the 700x32 Sectors on, they were so loose I am not inclined to reinstall, definitely not tubeless.

I'll pass them along to someone who wants to experiment, with the caveat I cannot support running them tubeless.

Panaracer Gravelking slick 700x38 tubeless in "2018" according to comments in their Facebook posts, so I guess we wait for that!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the updates, guys. That's unfortunate.

Now I wonder if this applies to other Compass tubeless tires.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaute View Post
Thanks for the updates, guys. That's unfortunate.

Now I wonder if this applies to other Compass tubeless tires.
My experience with tubeless Switchback Hills on Crest Mk3 rims with Orange Seal has been stellar.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Nice. I'm thinking about the Pumpkin Ridge for my 650b wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
My experience with tubeless Switchback Hills on Crest Mk3 rims with Orange Seal has been stellar.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Same experience.. when I pulled them to put the 700x32 Sectors on, they were so loose I am not inclined to reinstall, definitely not tubeless.

I'll pass them along to someone who wants to experiment, with the caveat I cannot support running them tubeless.

Panaracer Gravelking slick 700x38 tubeless in "2018" according to comments in their Facebook posts, so I guess we wait for that!
How would you compare the Sectors to the Bon Jons? I really wanted to get Bon Jons but didn't feel like I would have enough clearance so I went the Sectors 32s. I really like them so far, but was curious on how they compare to the BJs.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Very undersized (30.5 mm on 19 mm ID rim) and they're cracking at the seams, although I admit I beat the heck out of them. Difficult to directly compare to the 700x35 Compass since they're so tiny. The bead sure locks down tight though vs. the Compass, no worries there running them tubeless.

I don't consider them a viable alternative, although they're fine on the street.