Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
He does know a ton more than I do... But that's really not saying much!

He won't need it for gaming or heavy graphics applications. He already has a hot rod desk top for that end of things. Also given what he's going into Window's machines appear to be somewhat more in tune with what he'll be doing. If that wasn't the case given Apple's reputation we'd go for one of the various Mac Book models.

I just remember that a few years ago some brands had a better rep for being reliable than others. Thanks for the info re warranty as that's not something I thought about.
FWIW, the software company I work at, which makes products primarily for windows environments, has about a 50/50 split between PC and Mac laptops in use. Even among our engineering teams. If he prefers a Mac, it won't be a barrier to his study or career. And the hardware, IME, is far superior to most of the PC-native brands. I tend to replace the mac machines on my team every 4-5 years and the PCs every 2-3. The higher cost might make it a wash in the end, but it's nice to have a machine in service for years before worrying about issues.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
(...) Windows still lacks a decent terminal program (...)
I would agree that the Unix/Linux shells are better, but Powershell is fine once you get used to it.

Last edited by dgauthier; 05-31-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
(...) Windows still lacks a decent terminal program (...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
I would agree that the Unix/Linux shells are better, but Powershell is fine once you get used to it.
Shells are not terminal emulators though they are commonly conflated. I'd agree that as a shell or execution environment it's very good and has reasonable parity with bash, etc.