Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 07:18 AM

3D print unicorn hoods (bracket covers)?

Calling on 3D print and CAD experts.

Came across this last night as the bike search has taken me down the path of 9 speed Ultegra. Ironically, I've bought a good half dozen 9 speed hoods to catch and release here, avoid 9 speed like the plague cuz of the rotting hoods and now find myself in potential need of them.

Blew my mind when I saw this but I'm still skeptical.
How the hell did this person figure out the 3D drawing? Is it not as complicated as I'm thinking it is?
Friend just got a 3D printer last week so I may try his out with him but would a TPU print really stand up to the forces of installing hoods?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5019040/comments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D hoods.jpg (55.5 KB, 52 views)
Old Today, 08:07 AM

I'm guessing that was a scan-to-mesh modeling workflow. Even the newer iPhone can do lidar scanning, and with the right app, you could scan that hood fairly easy, then do some smoothing to get that final result. Other purpose built scanners exist as well, so modeling these odd, complex shapes can be made easy with some investments.

Now could it handle the stress of being installed if printed with TPU? That's a whole other story. I don't have a lot of experience with TPU, but I've installed hoods a time or ten, and I don't know if I'd trust it. It would be worth the experiment though! But honestly, I'd use ABS/PLA and use that for a mold for a proper rubber material.
Old Today, 08:11 AM

Check out this guy's web site: https://racevelo.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

He's been making a bunch of older hoods for vintage levers and the reviews are excellent. He's even done some one-off stuff.