Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The RS-1 is the only steel bike they still offer, and I suspect it's pricing reflect a position of "we'd rather stick to titanium, but if you REALLY want a steel bike from us, we'll do it, but it will cost you." And who can blame them. If they're at capacity building $6000 titanium frames, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for them to build a $3000 steel frame.
The only steel bike they ever offered

Nobody is holding a gun to their head to make them. They still build RS-1 for NAHBS so it's not like the hidden menu at In-N-Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas515 View Post
I take it both of these issues occurred in your mosaic experience? these are very specific issues so
That'd be correct. The other experience was just a really unimpressive ride.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:51 PM

I wanted the RT-1 because of butted tubing. The RT-2 has straight gauge. Hence, my disinterest in it.

So, if you want a butted Mosaic, you have a get the paint job. Understood.
No wonder my money went somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
When I spoke with Mosaic at the last nahbs, they were pretty clear that fancy custom paint was part of what they saw the RT-1 as. They always sell the RT-2 if you're not looking to go all out with customization, including finish. Asking for an RT-1 without custom paint would be like asking for a Speedvagen without an ISP, or a Richard Sachs with a carbon fork. There are builders out there who will build you exactly what you want with a la carte pricing, and there are others trying to establish brand equity, and part of doing that is defining what their premium product should be
Old 06-14-2020, 11:24 PM

Mosaic RT-1 Pricing // Custom frame pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
Disagree. My RT-1 was blasted and polished. No paint.

I inquired about an RS-1 recently and they quoted me $6k for a frame and fork. FOR A FRAME AND FORK.

No.

AFAIK, they're using the same Columbus HSS tubes as everyone else. Based on the build quality of my RT-1, they're not doing anything better than the likes of many reputable builders who will ask half that price.

Agree with this. It’s one thing if the tubing is different or there are other aspects to the design/build/process that sets it very much unique from competitors to command that kind of premium, but to do it for “brand equity” is not enough in my book. I haven’t seen anything outstanding about their frames to match that kind of price point.

When I was going for my first ti frame, I considered them, but after visiting their site and reading through their generic marketing copy with small grammatical lapses and looking more into their finishes/design/aesthetic, I was left underwhelmed. Not the experience I expect for their asking price. My two cents.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post

They still build RS-1 for NAHBS so it's not like the hidden menu at In-N-Out.
Hold on, there’s a hidden menu at In-N-Out? I’m so not in touch.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:49 PM

Animal style for the win.

And the defibrillator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Hold on, there’s a hidden menu at In-N-Out? I’m so not in touch.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:53 PM

Don't f*ck with me, Andy...

If you don't know about the grilled onions, we cannot be friends.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:54 AM

have to agree with lmakin20 on this

they have baum-ified their offer

hey its fine we have more choses than ever
Old 06-15-2020, 05:36 AM

Mosaic are pricey. What I don’t like is that they got even pricier past few months. They a increased prices for optionals.
As you said market wins, hence if they have those prices somebody somewhere might match their request.
You get a perfect product though. Welds, alignment, finishes are amazing and you get that product in 3 months top, which is a rarity for these days.
They perfected their production system.

As prices have risen, the market for used Mosaic have flourished too. If you have the right model (disc, clearance and good optionals) it sells in a heartbeat.

Used trades at around 40% of new prices which is in line with Firefly, Moots and SV.

Yours being a caliper model, should probably be closer to 50% off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Market forces and all that.
Wow, what a nugget of information - However, still $6900!

Last edited by Mikej; 06-15-2020 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I believe retail is 5500$ ffhs-
Right. As far as new/retail/custom Ti rides go (American made) , I've found Mosaic to be among the most pricey for sure.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 06-15-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:55 AM
Meh

Early last year my Mosaic MT-1 was $3900 for the frame. I believe the tubing is straight gauge as they don’t believe butted Ti is a good idea for mountain bikes. Everything on it is perfect and they turned around full custom geo in 4 weeks total - would buy again. No idea if they’re charging more for that frame these days or not, but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 AM

I think it's clear Mosaic is going through changes, constantly evolving, with the goal of improving their product.

The acquisition of Spectrum paint works is an example of this. None of the paint of offerings today were available when I bought my Mosaic. So that's an added plus for today's customer.

Are their prices high? Yeah... they're definitely a bit steep, but given the turn around time you get what you pay for. I got my frame in 5 weeks.

I didn't want to wait a year for a frame... that's the wait time I was quoted by a few other builders i was shopping.

Good, fast, or cheap... pick any two.

Anyways, to each his own... my GT-1 rides like a dream both on and off road.

I will definitely be getting a new paint job from them in a couple years.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:05 AM

^^they bought Spectrum paint?

If I recall, that place was always known for their incredible powder coat jobs. Mind blowing , really. On par with wet paint.
Is it the same shop?
Old 06-15-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
^^they bought Spectrum paint?

If I recall, that place was always known for their incredible powder coat jobs. Mind blowing , really. On par with wet paint.
Is it the same shop?

Bought them back in, what, 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Wow, what a nugget of information - However, still $6900!
The depth of insight is on par with the complaint about the price of the frames. It is what it is. I'm sure Mosaic has better insight into their P&L than any of us do, and what it'd take for each frame going out the door to keep the lights on.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:42 PM

They jumped their prices a few years ago with no improvement in their product. I don't remember the reason why but I remember that it made no sense to me to dramatically raise their prices.

When you can buy a Erikson, Holland, Hampsten, FF, ect for 1K - 2k less it doesn't make any sense to consider this brand.
Closed Thread

Tags
recession proof, veblen goods