Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Ex-Mr.President

I am ambivalent about Landis at this point and think he is smart to get into the pot business now. If/When it becomes decriminalized nation wide, folks who got in early are going to be filthy rich.

I wonder how long it will be. Shame good old Bernie didn't fair better or it would be happening sooner rather than later.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
How do you feel driving by local bars and liquor stores? Especially since they may be selling the booze that enables a road death nearby, either another driver, passenger, cyclist, or pedestrian? That happens a lot, you know. Were quickly approaching the most deadly holiday weekend on America's roads, July 4. Happy cycling! Watch out for those stoners.

Edit: btw, just read the other day that, after a few years of legal weed in Co., traffic accidents are not up, and teenage use is maybe a tad down.
I don't drink, so it doesn't occur to me. But, it's well known that the thc is many times stronger than when I was a teen and pot is a gateway drug - leading to lsd, heroin, etc. Pot is not legal in my State, but there is a huge problem with teens in my area starting with pot and getting into harder stuff. That's documented, not an opinion.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
How do you feel driving by local bars and liquor stores? Especially since they may be selling the booze that enables a road death nearby, either another driver, passenger, cyclist, or pedestrian? That happens a lot, you know. Were quickly approaching the most deadly holiday weekend on America's roads, July 4. Happy cycling! Watch out for those stoners.

Edit: btw, just read the other day that, after a few years of legal weed in Co., traffic accidents are not up, and teenage use is maybe a tad down.
I don't drink, so it doesn't occur to me. But, it's well known that the thc is many times stronger than when I was a teen and pot is a gateway drug - leading to lsd, heroin, etc. Pot is not legal in my State, but there is a huge problem with teens in my area starting with pot and getting into harder stuff. That's documented, not an opinion.

I realize the marijuana industry is worth billions to those States that have legalized it, but it's still illegal under federal law. The preemption clause states that the federal law prevails, so it's not legal anywhere. If you want to get alcohol banned, you'll get no argument from me. I've seen it ravage plenty of family and friends.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:52 PM

As a pot business owner in CO its cash only, no? No banking from what I understand

Guess they'll have to create the High Times Union de Crédit or whatever
Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post

I realize the marijuana industry is worth billions to those States that have legalized it, but it's still illegal under federal law. The preemption clause states that the federal law prevails, so it's not legal anywhere. If you want to get alcohol banned, you'll get no argument from me. I've seen it ravage plenty of family and friends.
I think the last time I heard that argument was from Nancy Reagen in, what, 1986. How antiquated. Total fail. And not documented. Well, scientifically. I'm sure there are zillions of sources from sites with agendas on the internet that you can link to. Don't bother.
It's been a few years. Disaster has not fallen on Colorado. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most vibrant and dynamic places to live in the western U.S. today. It's not Zombieland, trust me. Oh, and Washington state, too. They aren't slobbering on sidewalks and running amuck, either.
The true gateway drug to heroin has been doctor prescribed pain killers, like Oxycotin. That's why so may communities have people of all ages and colors, urban and rural, now hooked on smack. They can't afford Oxy, so they go to cheap heroin. Look it up.

Get used to legal weed. It will slowly become legal nationwide, unless some Neanderthal like Ted Cruz becomes president.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:28 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
As a pot business owner in CO its cash only, no? No banking from what I understand

There are a few companies taking credit cards. I assume that so much cash has been sloshing around since legalization, that a local banking system has been created with all that capital. It's in it's infancy.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
Good Luck to Floyd!

He could very well end up making a lot of money on this endeavor.

If ever in CO I'll try some.
Floyd is doing more than just selling his own brand. He set up a white label business to produce branded weed products for other businesses.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Documented by who? Gateway drug? Seriously?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbecman View Post
There is a TON of money being made in the CO pot industry. Almost $1 billion in sales in 2015 with $135 in tax revenues and other fees. The state is not going to give that up.
Only $135 in taxes on One Beellion?? They must be high...
Old 06-25-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Not sure which part you are claiming to not be an "opinion" but the part about pot being a gateway drug is complete B.S.

Did damn near every heroin addict smoke pot at some point? Of course! That does not mean there is a cause/affect relationship.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Since banks are federally regulated, no weed biz. They have been trying to set up a credit union type place round here but again, fed regs make it tough.

Depending on November election, I'd be real careful about getting into pot biz. A lot of property and $ could be seized. still illegal at the federal level.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:

At first the places were being robbed as they put money in safes on the premises.

Last edited by soulspinner; 06-25-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:33 AM

He has a good sense of humor...

https://twitter.com/FloydLeadville/s...92962112851968
Old 06-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Only $135 in taxes on One Beellion?? They must be high...
Ok, it was a typo. The state of CO made $135 MILLION in taxes and licensing, etc. Comparable to a typical sales tax rate. They could probably tax it at a higher rate.

To put it in comparison, the state made more $$ off pot sales than alcohol.
That makes a lot of other states sit up and notice.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I think the last time I heard that argument was from Nancy Reagen in, what, 1986. How antiquated. Total fail. And not documented. Well, scientifically. I'm sure there are zillions of sources from sites with agendas on the internet that you can link to. Don't bother.
It's been a few years. Disaster has not fallen on Colorado. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most vibrant and dynamic places to live in the western U.S. today. It's not Zombieland, trust me. Oh, and Washington state, too. They aren't slobbering on sidewalks and running amuck, either.
The true gateway drug to heroin has been doctor prescribed pain killers, like Oxycotin. That's why so may communities have people of all ages and colors, urban and rural, now hooked on smack. They can't afford Oxy, so they go to cheap heroin. Look it up.

Get used to legal weed. It will slowly become legal nationwide, unless some Neanderthal like Ted Cruz becomes president.
Ridicule me if you want, but the vibrancy of the economies of Colorado and Washington are more driven by the energy and tech sectors. Yes, there has been an initial influx of capital and a new sector developed, but it's not the driver by any means. The reason it doesn't seem like zombieland is because of the far larger sector that's participating in the larger economy.

I volunteered at a drug rehab center, so that's where my information and observations come from. I've seen my friends' and neighbors' kids fall into the same vortex that some of my high school classmates fell into. It was sad to see the results.

To each his own. If you want to think it's legit, then all the power to you. Just because it's a trend doesn't make it a good thing. I should have known better than to express an opinion here.