Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 10:40 PM

Downtube shifters, FD, RD, and cassette systems -- mix and match? What do I need?

So I'm building a cheap bike with as much stuff I can find in parts bins as possible. And as such, I have a few questions. See below for pics of what I've got.

1. Can I use the my derailleurs with a 10 speed cassette? I have one laying around I'd like to use.

2. What kind of downtube shifters do I need? Friction is good. If any of you have some for cheap that would work, also feel free to drop me a line.

3. If I do need to use an 8s cassette, what's a good one?

Here's what I've got in terms of the FD, RD (Shimano 600 8 speed):

Here's the mount on the frame:

TIA!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:57 PM

That looks like a 6401 RD, which would be 8 speed. I'd probably go 8 or 9 with it as it's easier to find shifters. If you come up with ten speed DT shifters I think it would do the job. 8/9 cassettes are pretty cheap. You can buy an 8 speed Sora 12-25 cassette from Ribble for under $15. The 9 speed HG50s are about the same price. I would just look for a good deal on either 8 or 9 speed shifters and go from there.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
That looks like a 6401 RD, which would be 8 speed. I'd probably go 8 or 9 with it as it's easier to find shifters. If you come up with ten speed DT shifters I think it would do the job. 8/9 cassettes are pretty cheap. You can buy an 8 speed Sora 12-25 cassette from Ribble for under $15. The 9 speed HG50s are about the same price. I would just look for a good deal on either 8 or 9 speed shifters and go from there.
If I'm doing friction, doesn't it not matter how many speeds the shifters are? Correct me if I'm wrong... I think I might be.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotrack View Post
So I'm building a cheap bike with as much stuff I can find in parts bins as possible. And as such, I have a few questions. See below for pics of what I've got.

1. Can I use the my derailleurs with a 10 speed cassette? I have one laying around I'd like to use.

2. What kind of downtube shifters do I need? Friction is good. If any of you have some for cheap that would work, also feel free to drop me a line.

3. If I do need to use an 8s cassette, what's a good one?

Here's what I've got in terms of the FD, RD (Shimano 600 8 speed):

Here's the mount on the frame:

TIA!
First, where are you. This will help in searching for stuff. If you live 10 or 20 miles from me it's one thing - I may be able to help someone out. If you live 1000 or 2000 miles away from me that's a different thing and realistically I won't be able to help whoever out.

I can't imagine that someone doesn't have some downtube shifters just laying around. Any friction shifter will work. You could even do bar ends if you wanted to do that. You'll need stops for the downtube if you do bar ends.

Cassettes - on friction you'll be fine. The question here is the wheel - if you have a 10s cassette laying around but no wheel for it, or if you have an 8s wheel but no cassette... For cassette stuff you need to have the right freehub body.

If you get indexed shifters compatible with the rear derailleur then you need to get the right cassette (and a hub/wheel that works with that cassette). If you do friction then you skip all that nonsense.

Any newer cassette is good, as long as it fits your freehub/hub/wheel. By "newer" I mean one with shifting ramps (pretty much all of them for the last 20-25 years). You'll need a newer chain with hardened pins because the shifting ramps allow you to shift under pressure and non-hardened pin chains will break. Any modern derailleur chain has hardened pins, meaning one that's sold nowadays. I mention the pins because you may get a freebie chain from back in the day but if it doesn't have hardened pins you'll end up breaking the chain.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:24 AM

I used a set of thumb shifters, 5 speed index or friction, with and older derailleur and a 8 speed cassette. Set the friction shifters in friction mode and got 6 useful gears out of the setup.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM

Friction downtube shifters as real man use, and put what ever you want in the real wheel but maybe 10 speed and you are good to go.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 AM

Get Simplex levers like these

Simplex-retro-levers.jpg
Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 AM

Like those ones!