Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Brexit and groupset prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If you combine the two graphs I've posted in this threat you'll see that your assertion isn't true I'm afraid.

Also, the UK has the highest standard of living it's ever had, currently (although the inequality is hideous).

Be warned, Neil is relying on fact for his arguments. Just saying. How do you feel about someone who resorts to basing his arguments on facts????
Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 PM

I guess there are always going to be different views of any event. For me, any diminution of centralized political power - even a hiccup on the road to centralization - is positive and something that should be celebrated.

I understand why Germany is happy with the EU (due to an enforced undervalued currency relative to the rest of the block combined with the highest productivity and human capital), but it's not so good for the traditional "sick men" of Europe like Italy, Spain and Portugal who are stuck with tremendously overvalued currencies and low productivity/human capital.

The faster the EU unravels the better imo. As for the currency, the Euro was never going to survive anyway without political integration, and even then its prospects were always questionable. Hopefully Brexit is the beginning of the end.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Kippers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
i predict a run on kippers.
That is Funny as hell! Kippers! Bloody Kippers is what we Canadians call the Brits.....
Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM
Forward the Foundation

Brexit has upsides, a Free Scotland and a United Ireland.

Wales & England will become members of the EEA like Norway
Switzerland. So in 5 years of so everything should be back to normal.
Norwegian & Swiss consulting firms are going to make an ungodly
amount of money helping the English adjust to their new non-voting
2nd class EU associate status.

Cameron is the British Gorbachev, the man who did in the Empire
by accident.

The French no doubt think the whole thing is another evil plot
by Le Anglais to put the Germans back in charge of Europe.

Last edited by sg8357; 06-24-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
How will this affect non-Brit European riders on Team Sky?

Apparently, the effect on the EPL regarding non-Brit European players (i.e. Kompany, Ibra, CR7, etc., who previously were not subject to non-EU limits, etc.) will potentially be extremely negative.
Yup - EPL was against the exit as work permits will now be an issue!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
Aren't you familiar with the unwritten political rule of a bike forum? It's perfectly acceptable to bash any politician who doesn't have a (D) behind their name but those with a (D) are sacrosanct.
So true!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post

Cameron is the British Gorbachev, the man who did in the Empire
by accident.

Interesting notion. I imagine that Vladimir Putin is a happy man tonight. The Brexit would seem to play right into his hands, especially if in the longer term it serves to destabilize Europe further. An irony to ponder in any case. And, when he comes calling I wonder what England and Wales will do?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebird View Post
I guess there are always going to be different views of any event. For me, any diminution of centralized political power - even a hiccup on the road to centralization - is positive and something that should be celebrated.

I understand why Germany is happy with the EU (due to an enforced undervalued currency relative to the rest of the block combined with the highest productivity and human capital), but it's not so good for the traditional "sick men" of Europe like Italy, Spain and Portugal who are stuck with tremendously overvalued currencies and low productivity/human capital.

The faster the EU unravels the better imo. As for the currency, the Euro was never going to survive anyway without political integration, and even then its prospects were always questionable. Hopefully Brexit is the beginning of the end.
I think that the Euro is a very poor idea- the Greek financial crisis (which in reality was a German banking crisis in disguise) has shown the ugliest side of both a currency that cannot be meaningfully controlled by a country which uses it, and the neo-liberal agenda of the banking sector and the politicians which it controls. What has been done to Greece is a disgrace, on many levels.

However, the idea behind the Euro was to blur national boundaries- a countries identity is in part bound up in its currency, and the identity of France and Germany was what led to Europe being the most violent continent in the world- and the U.K. of course. And Spain. And Portugal. Anyway!

No war for over 70 years- a record, and following the two most destructive wars we have ever seen. That's the legacy of the EU, and something worth holding onto.

On a personal note the common decency aspect of much EU legislation is notable- working time directive, ECHR, maternity leave etc- all legislation for the people, whereas our actual government is taking money and services from the disabled, the poor and the disadvantaged. Without the EU to protect them, the poor in the UK are about to discover what a right wing government is really like.

Don't be old, don't be young, don't be sick or disabled, above all don't be poor.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:40 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Facts...

70 yrs is a fantastic number...I wonder if NATO played any role in the peace during any of those years...

Anyway, some factual perspective:

"BBC ON THIS DAY | 1 | 1973: Britain joins the EEC
Membership applications by the UK to join the EEC were refused in 1963 and 1967.
The European Economic Community was officially established by the Treaty of Rome in 1957.
It then consisted of six member states - Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, West Germany and the Netherlands.
The European Union, as it is now known, now consists of 25 member states and presidency of the organisation changes annually.
Britain, Ireland and Denmark joined in 1973, Greece joined in 1981, Spain and Portugal in 1986, Austria, Finland and Sweden in 1995."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2459167.stm
Old 06-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
The easy way to sum it up is........

The racist, bigoted, facist knuckle draggers that believed the lies from the f**kwits that don't have to worry about their next pay check, and have already started back tracking on what they built their campaign on whilst leaving the country up **** creak without a paddle. But don't worry the other 27 countries in the EU and the list that want to join (it's so bad why would you want that) will respond with its OK Boris and Nige were just having a laugh........
Are you from NYC?
Old 06-25-2016, 07:56 AM

the people have spoken!!! this is what happens when the politicians don’t listen to the people that elected them. politicians need votes to get elected so they need the masses but unfortunately once they get elected they forget about the masses that got them elected. politicians also need money so they cow tow to the 1%ers to get donations and once elected those are the people that the politician’s service as payback and also because they want to be part of the 1%. i am actually surprised no flabbergasted at the results of the election (you have know idea how much effort the politicians put in to defeat this measure) but also happy for the masses. THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!!! for better or worse. wait isn’t that suppose to be what democracy is about? the will of the people not just he privileged people but all people!
Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 AM

The people seem to have woken up to what they've done, only a little bit too late:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...ions-1-7982120

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7101311.html
Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti View Post
70 yrs is a fantastic number...I wonder if NATO played any role in the peace during any of those years...

Anyway, some factual perspective:

"BBC ON THIS DAY | 1 | 1973: Britain joins the EEC
Membership applications by the UK to join the EEC were refused in 1963 and 1967.
The European Economic Community was officially established by the Treaty of Rome in 1957.
It then consisted of six member states - Belgium, France, Italy, Luxembourg, West Germany and the Netherlands.
The European Union, as it is now known, now consists of 25 member states and presidency of the organisation changes annually.
Britain, Ireland and Denmark joined in 1973, Greece joined in 1981, Spain and Portugal in 1986, Austria, Finland and Sweden in 1995."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2459167.stm
I expect it played some part, yes, although of course Germany was notable in its absence from NATO for the first six years or so.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 AM

Old 06-25-2016, 08:36 AM

Unfortunately Brexit has given a mandate to the outright racists (you can see why Trump approves):

Closed Thread