Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Interview of Lael with her gear list. This isn't the first I've seen of the E-Werk failing during an event. The Sinewave seems to be a more reliable choice now.

http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/lael-wilcox-trans-am/
Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 PM

Nice interview! Thanks for the link.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Interesting comparison...

Tour de France
Distance -- 3,520 kilometres
Rest Days -- 2
High Point -- 2,200 metres
Time -- 23 days
Daily average -- 170 kilometres

Trans Am
Distance -- 7,080 kilometres
Rest Days -- 0
High Point -- 3,300 metres
Time -- 17 – 40 days
Daily average -- 370 kilometres (2015 winner)

Last edited by guido; 06-26-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
They are not world-class elite athletes. That's not an insult, just a fact.

Insult or not, it is not a fact. Keep in mind that Svein Tuft used to ride thousands of miles around Alaska prior to his career. Furthermore, there is a difference between supported, structured racing, and what these endurance riders/racers do. If a mainstream racer had the mental fortitude and desire to tackle a race like the Trans Am or the Tour Divide, there is no guarantee that they would shatter records. Not everyone is cut out to ride on minimal sleep.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut View Post
Insult or not, it is not a fact. Keep in mind that Svein Tuft used to ride thousands of miles around Alaska prior to his career.
Yes, prior to his career, as a teenager.

Quote:
If a mainstream racer had the mental fortitude and desire to tackle a race like the Trans Am or the Tour Divide, there is no guarantee that they would shatter records. Not everyone is cut out to ride on minimal sleep.
Let's just say that it is more likely for a Pro Tour rider to adapt to lack of sleep and gas station food, than it is for Mike Hall or Jay Petervary to hang with the peloton in a major stage race.

I stand by what I said, but I also kind of regret having said it, because throwing shade on unsupported endurance racers is the last thing I want. As a randonneur, I identify more readily with the unsupported multi-day racers than the pure roadies.

Of course they are elite in what they do, it's just that it is a much smaller pond. Mike Hall is elite in the manner of a top-tier alpinist, not in the manner of an Olympic track athlete.

Yes, with the exception of Jock Boyer all those years ago this is mostly speculative and hypothetical, but my take is also based on personal experience, having ridden a bit with UMCA types and RAAM finishers, as well as active road pros.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Yes, prior to his career, as a teenager.

Let's just say that it is more likely for a Pro Tour rider to adapt to lack of sleep and gas station food, than it is for Mike Hall or Jay Petervary to hang with the peloton in a major stage race.

I stand by what I said, but I also kind of regret having said it, because throwing shade on unsupported endurance racers is the last thing I want. As a randonneur, I identify more readily with the unsupported multi-day racers than the pure roadies.

Of course they are elite in what they do, it's just that it is a much smaller pond. Mike Hall is elite in the manner of a top-tier alpinist, not in the manner of an Olympic track athlete.

Yes, with the exception of Jock Boyer all those years ago this is mostly speculative and hypothetical, but my take is also based on personal experience, having ridden a bit with UMCA types and RAAM finishers, as well as active road pros.

We're all speculating. Ultras as a top-tier pursuit are a relatively new thing. It was formerly in the realm of things you did after your pursuit of going short and fast and short were over. As this weekend's Western States 100, revealed, with a 20 year-old winner and a 26 year-old guy who would have crushed the CR if he stayed on course, there is a new batch of youngsters specializing in ultras from the start. We'll see where that leads.

I saw a cool interaction between Mike and JP on Facebook yesterday. Post-race talk with Mike:

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/mike-...ampaign=buffer

Last edited by ptourkin; 06-28-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Great interview! Thanks!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Randomhead

not every world class athlete goes into professional sports, it seems like that hardly needs to be said. Weirdest thread derailment ever. Certainly, professional road racing doesn't only entail physical talent either, other skills are required. So I don't think any of these riders are going to go into pro racing

ripvanrando appears to have done some fairly decent miles off-course without doubling back
Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
not every world class athlete goes into professional sports, it seems like that hardly needs to be said. Weirdest thread derailment ever. Certainly, professional road racing doesn't only entail physical talent either, other skills are required. So I don't think any of these riders are going to go into pro racing

ripvanrando appears to have done some fairly decent miles off-course without doubling back
?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Insult or not, it is not a fact. Keep in mind that Svein Tuft used to ride thousands of miles around Alaska prior to his career. Furthermore, there is a difference between supported, structured racing, and what these endurance riders/racers do. If a mainstream racer had the mental fortitude and desire to tackle a race like the Trans Am or the Tour Divide, there is no guarantee that they would shatter records. Not everyone is cut out to ride on minimal sleep.
What is Lael's FTP?

W/KG?

I've got a pretty good estimate as I rode near her on day one and I'm riding with a Power meter.

Lay some facts on the table. Start with the above two metrics, please