Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2023, 02:03 PM

Timely bump on this thread. Our family recently moved and one of the benefits of doing so was I got my own space for a dedicated bike workshop. This is still a work in progress -- I've got a few more things planned for it -- but otherwise it's been fun to finally feel like I've got some space to move around in. Oh and also I now have a fully stocked Red Bull fridge, which is nice.

For those who may be wondering, the hanging/sliding storage rack was a DIY project I recently completed using strut channel conduit rails with 4-bearing trolleys. Turned out really well. The hooks slide along the rail on the trolleys which allows me to cram everything up there comfortably and with room to spare. If anyone would like me to do a separate how-to thread I'd be happy to put something together. Total all in cost was ~$150 (probably cheaper if you exclude all the extra parts I bought but didn't ultimately use!).

Old 12-24-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Timely bump on this thread. Our family recently moved and one of the benefits of doing so was I got my own space for a dedicated bike workshop. This is still a work in progress -- I've got a few more things planned for it -- but otherwise it's been fun to finally feel like I've got some space to move around in. Oh and also I now have a fully stocked Red Bull fridge, which is nice.

For those who may be wondering, the hanging/sliding storage rack was a DIY project I recently completed using strut channel conduit rails with 4-bearing trolleys. Turned out really well. The hooks slide along the rail on the trolleys which allows me to cram everything up there comfortably and with room to spare. If anyone would like me to do a separate how-to thread I'd be happy to put something together. Total all in cost was ~$150 (probably cheaper if you exclude all the extra parts I bought but didn't ultimately use!).

Looks like someone has a Cannondale addiction; you should really break it. seems like a bad habit

Last edited by dsimon; 12-24-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
Looks like someone has a Cannondale addiction you should really break it seems like a bad habit
Haha... Bad Habit...
Old 12-24-2023, 09:40 PM

Great to see some new shots of workplaces - keep ‘em coming folks!
Old 12-26-2023, 10:32 AM

Mine is squeezed into a somewhat chaotic car space at the moment. In the last few weeks, it transformed into Santa's shop to build my 11 year old son's new road racing bike (the black one). For any of you who don't feel like your sense of order is up to par with some of the photos here, take comfort in knowing your space could be worse a mess!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikeshop.jpg (147.1 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg bikeshop2.jpg (142.1 KB, 458 views)
Old 12-26-2023, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Great looking setup! I'd love more details on the components you selected and where you sourced them if you'd be willing to share. I've been looking into piecing together a similar sliding hook system for wheel storage.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:54 PM

Yeah I am loving the hooks on trolley system you have there hoj. First thing that caught my eye was the trolleys. I assume you must work industry to have come up with that ideal. I have put up all kinds trolleys in rails and never thought about it that way.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeboy1 View Post
Yeah I am loving the hooks on trolley system you have there hoj. First thing that caught my eye was the trolleys. I assume you must work industry to have come up with that ideal. I have put up all kinds trolleys in rails and never thought about it that way.
Thanks! Yeah the DIY trolley system works fantastic --- the low cost to build it only adds to my enthusiasm with how it turned out. I don't work industry, but came up with the idea after a lot of researching/googling about what I had envisioned.

There are some youtube videos out there with DIY sliding storage setups that are similar in principle, but they all seem to use barn door sliding trolleys instead, and I'm not sure how standardized the parts all are -- and they also seemed to be more expensive.

I went with the unistrut/strut channel setup instead because its cheaper, it's ubiquitous, the dimensions and parts are standardized, and there are sooo many different trolley designs/options out there to choose from -- aka it shouldn't ever be a problem to source replacement parts or test new designs in the future. For example, the way I have mine set up utilizes two different trolley designs that allow me to mount either complete bicycles or framesets, as can be seen in the photos.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah the DIY trolley system works fantastic --- the low cost to build it only adds to my enthusiasm with how it turned out.
I did something similar with a trolley system to store a rotomolded kayak under my deck. Two web slings hold the kayak and I can slide it out for access, or slide it in for storage.

Of course, the good kayaks are stored via pulley systems in the garage. But that's a different thread
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-30-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
...the DIY trolley system...
This looks great - thanks for sharing it with us.

I'd also be interested in the component and installation detail on yours. I think this sort of arrangement might make sense for my space. I've seen the popular YT video and some others who do similar things, but yours has my attention.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:10 AM

I feel like this thread could use some more examples (please).

I'm trying to put together at least a small corner where I can do some work, and I appreciate seeing your layouts and ideas.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:11 AM

anyone have a recommendation for an affordable work stand? pal of mine needs one but budget isn't in the swank feedback sports range. i don't really know what's what out there. checked amazon, tons of things in the sub $100 category it seems.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:33 AM

My multi-purpose work/play/exercise space.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:29 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
anyone have a recommendation for an affordable work stand? pal of mine needs one but budget isn't in the swank feedback sports range. i don't really know what's what out there. checked amazon, tons of things in the sub $100 category it seems.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-Bike-Repair-Stand
Old 01-26-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Same stand, sold by Jenson via Amazon, $79.

https://amzn.to/3vRMasc
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy