Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2022, 09:27 AM
n - 1

Caad13

I’m contemplating “upgrading” my Caad10 with a new Caad13 frame (if I can find one).
Love the retro paint. But more importantly, 2 features I want are:
- Tire clearance. Cannondale says 28mm(rim brake), which is better than 25mm on the Caad10.
- Fender mounts.

The only thing I don’t like is that dropped seat stay.

Anyone have one of these? I’d guess not much different than my Caad10, as far as handling or ride quality goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE01CA6F-E3AF-4709-97D1-CB9EF1113BBD.jpg (39.9 KB, 1005 views)

Last edited by p nut; 08-23-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:43 AM

Our local dealer has both of the retro colors in stock, they look great! Surprising to hear your CAAD10 only took 25s, mine took 28s on wide rims (so 33 actual). These are direct mount brakes, but you probably know that!
Old 08-23-2022, 10:11 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Our local dealer has both of the retro colors in stock, they look great! Surprising to hear your CAAD10 only took 25s, mine took 28s on wide rims (so 33 actual). These are direct mount brakes, but you probably know that!
I currently have Michelin Power 700x25 on Zonda wheels. There’s maybe 2-3mm clearance. But the limiting factor is the brakes themselves, both front and rear. Wonder if DM brakes would offer more clearance.

That’s wild that your Caad10 took 33’s!
Old 08-23-2022, 10:19 AM

Look fun....forget about the seat stays.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:27 AM

We did a build up of one in the shop, actually was heavier than the bike it replaced when finished (Specialized Allez Sprint).

I've worked on a few, the tire clearance is good, one thing to keep an eye out for if you get one is the seatpost, I've seen excessive wear where it meets the frame, and you'll be limited to Cannondale options if you're looking to upgrade the seatpost.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Look fun....forget about the seat stays.
No can do.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:07 PM

It's a tool not a jewel.
And this tool greatly benefits from dropped seatstays. So much better than my caad9 oof.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
It's a tool not a jewel.
And this tool greatly benefits from dropped seatstays. So much better than my caad9 oof.
Man, you must be a lightweight. I've never had an issue with my CAAD8's ride quality, did many many 100 mile rides on it with 23's at 120 psi and no problems. I've got a different CAAD8 now and with 27mm Vittoria Pave's, its almost as nice as my Lemond was with no BB flex. The CAAD13 must be a magic carpet in comparison, but I'm worried I would find it flexy.

I am 200 pounds though, and its pretty rare that I find a bike that I feel is harsh. However, I have found them before. I used to have a Fuji TT bike that beat the living crap out of me, I couldn't spend more than an hour on it before everything started to hurt.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
Man, you must be a lightweight. I've never had an issue with my CAAD8's ride quality, did many many 100 mile rides on it with 23's at 120 psi and no problems. I've got a different CAAD8 now and with 27mm Vittoria Pave's, its almost as nice as my Lemond was with no BB flex. The CAAD13 must be a magic carpet in comparison, but I'm worried I would find it flexy.

I am 200 pounds though, and its pretty rare that I find a bike that I feel is harsh. However, I have found them before. I used to have a Fuji TT bike that beat the living crap out of me, I couldn't spend more than an hour on it before everything started to hurt.
I don't think my caad9 would have cleared anything over 25s. I also think the caad8 was less stiff and a more comfortable frame afaik. I doubt you'll find the 13 flexy if you like the 8.

There's a 54cm caad13 disc with rival etap on sale about an hour from me... It's on fb and they're asking 2k. I'm so bummed it's a size small for me. I keep trying to convince myself it'll fit lol.

Also, I used to race at like 145-150ish lbs. The 9 used to feel okay back in the day but I still used to get gnarly back pain riding it for long rides even at like 19. The CAAD13 is a game changer imho... I just wish the dang previous owner hadn't cut the steerer this damn short!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I don't think my caad9 would have cleared anything over 25s. I also think the caad8 was less stiff and a more comfortable frame afaik. I doubt you'll find the 13 flexy if you like the 8.

There's a 54cm caad13 disc with rival etap on sale about an hour from me... It's on fb and they're asking 2k. I'm so bummed it's a size small for me. I keep trying to convince myself it'll fit lol.

Also, I used to race at like 145-150ish lbs. The 9 used to feel okay back in the day but I still used to get gnarly back pain riding it for long rides even at like 19. The CAAD13 is a game changer imho... I just wish the dang previous owner hadn't cut the steerer this damn short!
Put a Specialized Hover bar, or similar riser bar on it. They don't look bad, and can give you an inch or so....depending on which one you choose.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Put a Specialized Hover bar, or similar riser bar on it. They don't look bad, and can give you an inch or so....depending on which one you choose.
I need to do that with my 13 already... PO cut the steerer too damn short.

I really don't want to go back to a 54. It just looks wrong with a full stack of spacers, long long stem, huge post showing, and a buncha drop.

It screams 'this bike is too big for me'.

Edit: small dangit small

Last edited by ridethecliche; 12-19-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I need to do that with my 13 already... PO cut the steerer too damn short.

I really don't want to go back to a 54. It just looks wrong with a full stack of spacers, long long stem, huge post showing, and a buncha drop.

It screams 'this bike is too big for me'.
'Too small for me', surely?
Old 12-19-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeishmael View Post
'Too small for me', surely?
Yes lol

And don’t call me Shirley!
Old 05-01-2024, 10:51 PM

I'll have to post pics soon but I'm just about done with my caad13 build. I wanted to keep things within reason re budget and my goal was to have my first bike ever that weighed in the 16s even if by a hair.

With the carbon wheels, TPU tubes, cadex saddle, and bontrager direct mount brakes, I got the bike to 7580 grams. I'm pretty stoked about it.

If I don't like my fancy lightweight saddle I bought for this build I might just go back to my power knockoff or Smp since I know how to dial them in and can put those funds elsewhere....like buying a lighter fork for my Gervais equilibrium

It's pretty wild to me that folks routinely get these to be a kilo lighter than mine, but I guess it makes sense. A lighter set of carbon wheels would easily save 200g, lighter sisl crankset (vs my ultegra) would probably be close to another 150-200, lighter groupset(than ultegra) another 150-200, lighter bars another 50-75, ee brakes vs the bontrager another 50... Oof. Sounds expensive lol.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 05-01-2024 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:37 AM

Here's mine. Apologies for the low res pics.

The wheels are Velocity Dyad rims with Ultegra hubs. The 28mm Vittoria Rubino's measure out to 29/30mm. There is more than adequate clearance. That said, the wheels are boat anchors - but in a good way. They're extremely sturdy, which is needed given the horrible roads in my area. The bike comes in at around 20 lbs., maybe a bit less.

The ride is excellent - very much like a steel bike, surprisingly. The tires probably make a significant difference in ride quality. The bike is definitely stiff enough for anything I can throw at it (and I am a big dude).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDALE2.jpg (146.0 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg CDALE3.jpg (147.5 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg CDALE4.jpg (153.8 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by edward12; 05-02-2024 at 09:53 AM.

Tags
cult of caad