Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2017, 08:08 AM

OT: Winter Tires

All,

Looks like through Monday, Tire Rack is running $60 or $80 mail in rebates for in stock winter tires when purchased in a set of 4. It's not time, for most of us, but it cannot hurt to plan ahead.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...?affiliate=KD8

Happy Trails!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 AM

It still shocks me how few people use dedicated snow tires, even in the great white north of MN. Every one of our cars growing up had snows, and I've had snows for every car that I've owned. I don't think the average driver realize how much of a difference in safety and performance the provide - even over a good all season tire - when the temps drop and the snow gets deep.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post

It still shocks me how few people use dedicated snow tires, even in the great white north of MN. Every one of our cars growing up had snows, and I've had snows for every car that I've owned. I don't think the average driver realize how much of a difference in safety and performance the provide - even over a good all season tire - when the temps drop and the snow gets deep.
You seem to be drinking the kool-aid.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
You seem to be drinking the kool-aid.
First time you try a set, you'll see it isn't Kool-aid. Dramatic difference in performance with good winter rubber. I'll take a RWD with snows over an AWD with All seasons any day. My AWD wagon with snows is glued to the road in winter.

Last edited by batman1425; 09-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
First time you try a set, you'll see it isn't Kool-aid. Dramatic difference in performance with good winter rubber. I'll a RWD with snows over an AWD with All seasons any day. My AWD wagon with snows is glued to the road in winter.
I agree. Anyone who doesn't use them hasn't tried them. My Blizzaks go on about Dec. 1 and come off when things look up around the end of February.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 PM

The difference between all seasons and winter tires is dramatic. If you don't believe it, you haven't tried them or you don't see a lot of snow and ice in your area.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Forward the Foundation

The Rodger Penske BMW owners winter routine for Vermonters.

Steel rims with Nokian snow tires.
200 lbs of tube sand in the trunk.
Park in heated garage.
Wait for spring.

Nokian Hakkapelitta for your gravel bike, and your car,
very good tires, if hard to pronounce.
Finns know snow.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
or you don't see a lot of snow and ice in your area.
a little understood fact is that dedicated winter tires excel at more than just snow and ice traction. whenever the temps really drop, standard all season tires do not remain as supple as they do at more seasonable temps, losing traction. winter tires maintain appropriate road grip, even in dry road conditions much better than all-seasons (no seasons?)

so, even if you dont plan to drive in any snow or ice, if it gets really cold where you are, winter tires are still a benefit.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:07 PM

^^^This. I don't see a dramatic loss in performance (at normal driving speeds) with a good high performance snow tire during dry winter conditions.

Most of the reason that it is hard to make a good all season tire is it is very difficult to make a compound formulation that maintains appropriate flexibility across a broad range of temperature conditions. Good summer tires turn to concrete in the winter with basically no traction, and winter tires are super soft when it gets warm and wear like crazy.

Better to use the right tool for the right job IMO.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:08 PM

Winter tires are now so much better than they were 30 year ago. Back then, we often called them snow tires and the biggest difference was the aggressive tread pattern. Nowadays, they have dedicated rubber compounds that are specially mixed for cold weather, such that if temperatures raise too much they lose efficiency. Many places in the world are now making their use compulsory during winter (which I wholeheartedly support, with this coming from somebody who grew up in Canada and only drove on all-season tires back in the 70's and 80's as the difference was then not that marked).

Last edited by Polyglot; 09-23-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Nokian Hakkapelitta (sp?)

Worth every penny in the snow, best winter tires I have ever owned.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:

+1. if i were still living in pennsylvania and having to get out everyday i would definitely still do the snow tire think. whenever i purchased a new car i immediately bought an extra set of rear rims for the snow tires. i actually liked studded snow tires. worth the extra money imho. particularly good in icy conditions.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:20 AM

Using all seasons in snow country is like using 25 mm road tires in a mud cross race - you can do it but why would you.

Snow tires all round here in MT.

dave
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM

I've had very good performance out of General Altimax Arctic on my VW's. Get the wheel package from Tire Rack, so they're a bolt-on.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM

YOUR tires don't matter as much as other people's tires...