Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 AM

I'm considering something along this line.
Comes in clear.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3573712
Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 AM

This has just not been a problem for me on my steel frame (All City Space Horse). No chips down near the BB/Down tube from gravel riding over 3 years. I don't worry about it at all. I probably border on abuse for that bike as I'll take it on trails that are legitimately MTB trails where it doesn't make much sense to ride the space horse.

It seems to have something to do with how the bike is finished. I've rode some dirt and gravel on my Carbon trek as well and it doesn't have any chips either. Whereas my previous bike (BH G5) did develop chips pretty quickly.

My MTB is chipped up a lot (aluminum) but it gets a whole other level of abuse and it's 12 years old.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Uhh... lots of silly replies here. I, for one, wouldn't be so laissez-faire about consciously allowing paint to chip in the name of "beausage". Paint is not merely aesthetic, it also protects a steel bike from corrosion. Do you folks leave your chains dirty too because it's proof the bike gets ridden?

In addition to the previous suggestions, Lizard Skins makes a frame protection kit.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Uhh... lots of silly replies here. I, for one, wouldn't be so laissez-faire about consciously allowing paint to chip in the name of "beausage". Paint is not merely aesthetic, it also protects a steel bike from corrosion. Do you folks leave your chains dirty too because it's proof the bike gets ridden?

In addition to the previous suggestions, Lizard Skins makes a frame protection kit.
Don't be silly
Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Bike are tools not jewels.. there are only so many hours in the day, ride em and when they're worn out move on. If it's a quality frame it's not going to rust that easily from a few little chips.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:27 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:

what????. I don't think I ever bought a bike that doesn't have a few chips and guess what? bike still there, working just fine.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:29 AM

Seen an awful lot of tools that would also qualify as jewels on the PL. I wouldn't disparage anyone who wanted to protect such an investment. Cosmetically or practically.

OP: As mentioned before, I've seen the 3M Airplane tape used to good effect. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...iveLeading.php

I ride a carbon frame on the gravel. I like to think that the established manufacturers of bikes designed specifically for this kind of riding have taken potential/likely impact with rocks into account. So, I just ride unworried. If it gets damaged doing what it was designed to do? Well, will have some claimin' to do.

Andy in Houston

Last edited by cinco; 03-23-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Our pal Joost offered the best advice, powder or raw ti.

theres no protecting from gravel, those stones jump everywhere...
here it thought that was part of the appeal...
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Another good reason to not ride carbon on gravel-carbon doesn't like those stones and rocks kicking up and scratching the tubes. If it penetrates the clear coat and abrades the fibers, tube failure is in your future.

So carbon frames should stick to asphalt. Let the manly steel frames take on gravel roads.

*world's biggest eyeroll*

since apparently steel corrodes and carbon breaks, buy aluminum!!
Old 03-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
*world's biggest eyeroll*

since apparently steel corrodes and carbon breaks, buy aluminum!!
But aluminum has a 1 million cycles endurance limit, also known as fatigue limit. It is a stress level below which a material has an "infinite" life. Infinite life is commonly considered to be 1 million cycles. Since aluminum has an infinite life, better go bamboo.

William
Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
I'm considering something along this line.
Comes in clear.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3573712
Yeah that would be cool. I may do that. Tape it off and spray strips.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 AM

I remember when I was a little kid over 50 years ago and our family would visit these people that had plastic runners on their rugs and plastic on the living room furniture. It was kinda goofy.

One of the reasons I love bare ti. No chips, I can tie or bungee the frame with no worries.

My steel IF cross bike has a chip or two. Personally, I really don't care. Sure, I guess you could put plastic tape or lizard skins on the whole frame, but that looks ****ty, too.

Just my 2 cents, to each his own.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM

Really, I can't say s h i t t y?

Really?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Resident Slacker

Helicopter tape.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 PM

As it turns out it was was kind of a non-issue today.

In my area of town the gravel roads are horrible sketchy pea size rocks and inch deep. They are really no fun to ride on and not good for paint.

However, on the other side of town where we road today the gravel roads are really compact dirt awesomeness. They were a bit wet today as we have record precipitation and flooding of the rivers etc but doable. On these roads it is not too bad at all and the riding is great. It took 4 hours to do a measly 60 miles. Lots of shorter steep climbs and wind too but great riding.

I did put some vinyl tape on the DT, ST and front of the fork anyway.